Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it just me - aged 43?

last ten 10 416 Isle of Man
26 Jul 2005 1:50PM
I am finding I am not so shutter happy anymore!

I feel I am studying subjects a bit more in depth and ensuring I compose all my images correctly!

It may just be an age thing I am going through, but I feel I am taking a bit more time and possible maturity to take my piccies!

I am not saying the images are any better but I feel the days of taking hundreds of pictures in an afternoon are gone.

Is it just me?

Peter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

u08mcb 10 5.8k
26 Jul 2005 1:51PM
As people age, the importance of doing something properly over doing it quickly increases. Fight it!
loweswood e2
10 317 England
26 Jul 2005 2:00PM
Doyou go out on your own? Perhaps a trip with a mate would be good. Having a bit chat and a good laugh always makes the day better.
26 Jul 2005 2:22PM
Can`t really say that 43 is old, i thought it was when i was 14....

it could be that you can`t be bothered to process them?....

luke
mark a. e2
10 920 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2005 2:23PM
Hahahahahah Malcolm!
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
26 Jul 2005 2:32PM
Almost 42 (next week) and still shutter happy - mind you that could be something to being thrilled with my new camera and taking pictures of anything and everything.

I'll calm down eventually - maybe August 2006 when I reach 43!

Alison
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
26 Jul 2005 2:36PM
That's about the age the eyes start to go, you think you're slowing down and maturing, when it's your eyesight. It takes a longer time to find things and work the camera. Get a pair of cheaters and you'll be allright. Or...if you're enjoying the feeling, ignore what I said. I'm speaking from experience btw, I'm 59.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
26 Jul 2005 2:38PM
Ah Malcolm...I pity your partner. Did you ever hear the one about the old bull and the young bull on a hill overlooking a pasture full of cows?
u08mcb 10 5.8k
26 Jul 2005 3:08PM
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND HAVING SEX? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE ALLUDING TO DENNY?

DENNY?

DENNY?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
26 Jul 2005 3:14PM
See? That's what I mean, take your time, slow down.
u08mcb 10 5.8k
26 Jul 2005 3:17PM
Well it would've worked had we been in a busy quiet environment like a church service...
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
27 Jul 2005 2:31AM
43?
Still in nappies eh!

I'm 69 and still shutter happy and producing 95% crap with my digi (record is about 90 pix in an hour).

With film (real photography)I take my time and produce decent pix.
pjc e2
10 397 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2005 7:12AM
Looking at your portfolio on the site it looks like thoughtfull works !

I'm 45 and I still go daft with the shutter release, but I have found myself stopping recently and thinking the shot that I want isn't really there.
So maybe it's happening to me and the process is so slow I haven't noticed it. What I am finding is that I'm gaining experience in finding beter locations and returning when the light is better is helping with getting me more interesting shots.

Pete.
nigelf22 10 583
27 Jul 2005 7:24AM
Motordrives Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Oh alright then, maybe not for landscapes - Quality not quantity.
philwig e2
9 817 1
27 Jul 2005 7:39AM
I think that people often go a bit wild taking shots early in their photography, and get more picky later. Basically it takes a while to figure out what works and what doesn't. Once you know what definitely won't work you don't bother shooting it. It's just that you get lazy. Well I do.

An example for me would be air shows... I discovered those a few years ago and I'd pop away at the 'planes just because they were impressive.

Eventually I figured out that the only shots which actually were worth keeping were those where I had the settings just so, and when I shot the 'planes in a particular part of the sky in relation to the sun.

These days I go to the show and shoot a few frames when the 'plane and the light is right. I watch others popping away at stuff I know won't work with mild surprise, although if I think about it I've been there too.

I'm just too lazy to bother uploading and throwing away all that junk, so I don't bother shooting it. The lazy approach also means I don't need a monopod or anything like that, as I'm resting my arms much more than most people.

The same thing's true for many things I shoot. Sometimes people will see the cameras and ask me why I'm not popping away at something, and I have to explain that the light's bad, or that I can't get a good angle, or I have entirely the wrong lens, or whatever it is.

I still shoot some things where I feel that I do need to shoot hundreds of pictures. Wild bears, birds or macro come to mind. For me the first is a once in a lifetime opportunity, the last two are so focus critical that the best AF in the world doesn't guarantee it's sharp where you want it to be.

Just my thoughts: people should of course use whichever approach they feel happy with, it's all good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.