Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it just me or?

Naeva 3 1
2 Nov 2011 8:46PM
Short and sweet - In general, are you happy with the way you get critique on your photos?

I've had the same problems pretty much on every site I go to and at first I thought it was just me, but then talking to a friend we realized that we where having pretty much the same problem.

Whats your experience?

(I would post a poll but I can't find any)

Are you happy with the way you get critique on your photos?

a. No - Too many no effort comments - "Wow, nice picture"

b. No - Too much general comments - should be more to specific ie. critiquing motive/light/exposure.

c. No - Other things annoy me.

d. Yes - Can't really complain.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.7k 245 England
2 Nov 2011 9:56PM
Hi Naeve and welcome to Epz.

Why don't you upload a few images to our critique gallery and see if you can answer your own question?

Bren.
NEWMANP Plus
7 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2011 10:06PM
hello,
this is a friendly site when you get to know a few members but the level of critique depends upon the circle of friends that you make. to a greater extent, that will depend upon the genre of photography that you persue and post images of.

there is a general gallery where pleasantries are more common than critiques. there is also a critique gallery, and here members are confident that critique / help is what you are seeking.
not everyone appreciates critique and some avoid doing so at the risk of offending.

in the critique gallery you will get both general members and team members offering critique.

if you choose to post there, please add what elements you would like help or advice with as so many are uploaded without text and in those cases, its difficult to know how best to help.

Phil
f8 11 9.2k 22 England
3 Nov 2011 12:24AM
rambler Plus
6 478 14 England
3 Nov 2011 12:36AM
Surely no one will ever be entirely satisfied with a critique, it will depend on what you are looking for and what the critique giver chooses to say. By it's very nature if a critique says good things about your work then it is praise and is not critical.

Perhaps one difference you will find on EPZ is the fact that critiques can be marked as constructive.

Before condemning this site and starting a poll try uploading a few shots and gauging your own experience.

Ken.
mikesavage 12 265 2 England
3 Nov 2011 1:39AM
It's just you.
Being self employed with barely enough time to sit down each day I have a quick rush thro the new images each day and offer a quick peon of praise where something catches my eye.
This usually takes the form of a what you refer to as a 'no effort' comment.
Personally I am really chuffed just to get a vote , and even more so to get 2 or 3 words of encouragement from the regular contributors.

I did stop for a moment to consider whether this was a spoof or not, with naeva being a play on words of naive, prove us wrong by (as bren jestertheclown) suggests, by uploading some images and info about yourself.
dave
ketch Plus
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
3 Nov 2011 9:59AM
Who are you Naeva and what sort of photography do you like??

I notice that you only joined the site yesterday so its perhaps a bit harsh to judge this site by the failings of others.

Uploading a few images and experiencing feedback and critique might just help to inform your comments a little perhaps?

You might then avoid comments such as those above - but right at the moment I would agree with Mikesavage 'It's just you'...
fentiger Plus
13 915 22 England
3 Nov 2011 10:35AM
I don't think that this is the site for you. The comments and voting will wind you up. Too much time has been spent in this Forum on voting cliques etc which you might find worthwhile to research. As has been said this is a friendly site and so often it is the person that gets the vote and not the image they have uploaded.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2011 11:22AM
I'm not sure the OP is judging the site, just trying to work out the general feel.

I think the best suggestion is that you concentrate on uploading to the critique gallery Naeve. You will still get the run of the mill 'nice shot' comments but you are also guaranteed some good constructive critique.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Ian
Naeva 3 1
3 Nov 2011 11:35AM

Quote:Who are you Naeva and what sort of photography do you like??

I notice that you only joined the site yesterday so its perhaps a bit harsh to judge this site by the failings of others.

Uploading a few images and experiencing feedback and critique might just help to inform your comments a little perhaps?

You might then avoid comments such as those above - but right at the moment I would agree with Mikesavage 'It's just you'...

I'm sorry I didnt reply faster - you misunderstood me. I'm not trying to attack this forum or any forum in general, very sorry if I came across that way. What I am after is just to see if you guys can see the same tendency in the way people critique as I and my friend did. If you don't - great for you, then I'm really looking forward to getting some good critiques on this site. If you do feel the same way - maybe we can discuss what the problem is all about.

Again I'm not critisizing this forum or any people in it - just a general tendency in photo critiquing.

Hope this clarifies it Smile
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2011 11:46AM
Hi Naeve

Yes we do see the same tendencies on here, which is why the critique gallery was formed. It is monitored by a critique team. who try to make sure that every shot in there gets at least one proper crit. Also, ordinary members are more likely to crit a shot in there as they know the poster is not going to get upset.

Post a few shots in there (1 a day) and see how you find it.

Ian
collywobles 11 3.5k 9 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2011 11:49AM

Quote:
Again I'm not critisizing this forum or any people in it - just a general tendency in photo critiquing.

Again as has been said - upload some images and then make your judgement! You have been given lots of constructive comments here so now its up to you . I think as a new member you can upload a few in quite a short period - so lets see what you have.

€olin
NEWMANP Plus
7 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2011 4:34PM
make sure you understand that if you post in the crit gallery looking for praise. then you will be dissapointed because hopefully constructive and helpfull critique is what you will get.

you can however, help the team to help you, by being more specific about which aspects you would like to improve.

why not have a go at some crits yourself. its a very usefull learning tool. also you will see how difficult it can be to critique a shot that has no information or reference and has little content. thats not that they are all like that, but some are real challanges in their own right. ive had to look at some odd shots. a shot of a carton probably takes the biscuit, another one of an electronic box left me guessing a while. Grin

anyway did anyone take the time to say Hello and welcome to this crazy world of togs. you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Phil
JackAllTog Plus
6 4.1k 58 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2011 4:49PM
Your best critiques can be those who hate you as they will find every little fault.
But then living with those people can be hard, i think ephotozine works to gradually encourage us into better photos.

And as above we can ask for hard crit when needed Smile

What example do you and your fiend have?
Have you been shooting photographs long?
Does you need for critique change with time?
Are you not you own best critic?

True baseline crit is real life competitions, but you miss out on constructive critique.

To answer your question D - Yes its great here, but you get out what you put in - as in most things in life.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.