Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it me or is the R1800 useless...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 1:29 PM

straight from the box? I've spent the last week trying to get the damn thing to produce what I see on screen and it doesn't.

I've used Darkroom Print and that doesn't work. I've tried soft proofing picture in PS using the Premium Gloss paper as the profile and that doesn't work.

I've tried messing arround with the print driver settings and that doesn't work.

Seriously p*ssed off with this and not at all impressed with Epson at the moment.

Short of a custom profile being made (at a mere 50 per paper type - very reasonable, not) what else can I do apart from throw the bloody thing out of the top floor window?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Dec 2005 - 1:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

patters
patters  101786 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 1:35 PM

too scared to ask if your screen is cal?

cdm36
cdm36 e2 Member 10391 forum postscdm36 vcard England7 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 1:37 PM

Quote: what else can I do apart from throw the bloody thing out of the top floor window?

Which window, i'll catch it.

Chris Wink

AdrianTurner
15 Dec 2005 - 1:41 PM

Profiling is the only real answer I'm afraid.

I use SpyderPRO & PrintFIX (most popular printers are supported) from Pantone (you can by as a bundle). Not a cheap piece of kit but it does mean that I can recalibrate my monitor(s) regularly and create a profile for any new papers and/or printers I may use.

The result is that I see what I have captured and print what I see.

Hope this helps

Adrian.

P.S. I use the Epson 2100 and had the same difficulties until I used the above.

NorthernEdge
15 Dec 2005 - 1:54 PM

Hi Ian

I sent mine back! mainly because I was getting small "tractor" lines where the little wheels are under the cover. I was disappointed at first with the colours of the prints but found that by changing the saturation setting under "advanced" helped an awful lot. I put it up by 5 or 6 units, and upped the contrast by 2, It was much better, but not the same as the old R300. Am currently considering my options, the R2400 sounds dear, especially if it can't be set up easily!!

Anyway, just in case you haven't....try the saturation adjustment....you never know!!

chris

Westers
15 Dec 2005 - 1:55 PM

Lol@Patters - yep, profiled with a Spyder.

Chris - back bedroom window Wink

Adrian - Glad to see I'm not the only one then. I'll have a look at the software 'cos I'm sure it'll pay for itself by the time I've done a couple of different media profiles. 100 is the cost to get Matte and Premium Gloss done for Epson paper. Add in experimenting with other paper types and it's 50 a pop!!!

Thanks everyone. Not happy but at least I know what I've got to do.

Chris C - thanks... I'll try that. My main problem is I can set it up via Darkroom print (although could do with some saturation boost) but I can't work out how to save that as a generic profile (it only seems to save it for the picture I'm printing).

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2005 - 2:05 PM

Hi ian

I also have a R1800 and have gone through similar experiences.
Assuming that you are printing through Photoshop acceptable results can be gained by using 'print with preview' and under colour handling select 'let printer determin colours' and set printer driver appropriate to the media being used.
For better results still use 'print with preview' in Photoshop but under colour handling select 'let printer determin colours' also I select 'perceptual' intent and tick the black point compensation box also select the appropriate profile for the media you are using. In the driver after selecting the media type select the 'advanced options' button then select'ICM' and then 'no colour management'. Then print

HTH
Stu

Westers
15 Dec 2005 - 2:08 PM

Cheers Stu - I'll try that. I've been looking all over the web for print options and none of the ones I've tried have helped. Yours sounds different to the rest so I'll give it a go.

Off to bed now - heads hurting from trying to fix tonight.

covey
covey  91672 forum posts Ireland
15 Dec 2005 - 2:09 PM

Bookmarking

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2005 - 2:30 PM

No problem Ian let us know how you get on.

Stu

stevebutler
15 Dec 2005 - 9:11 PM

Ian...Stick with it and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I had a bit of trouble with mine when I first had it, correct settings, profiles etc but eventually started to get some great results from it. I can reccomend the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper also...it has a lovely finish to it, is reasonably priced and the profiles are free to download from Ilford's Website. I have found the profiles to be very accurate, so I would recommend you give it a try whilst you are doing your first prints, before spending a fortune on other profiles. You can always have profiles made at a later date, when you decide which papers you prefer.

Go with the settings that Stu has listed,then when you go to print click properties,advanced...ICM and turn colour adjustment off, also make sure you have the correct paper and profiles set.... Hope this helps (Sorry if you already know this)

Steve!

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123989 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 9:34 PM

Ian, I have sent you an email with a couple of attachments, assuming your monitor is OK and you follow these attachments to the letter you should find your problems will disappear.

Apart from the monitor a common problem is Colour management being applied by Adobe Photoshop and the Printer Driver !! That is where you may find you get some weird colours as the two clash; the trick is to ensure CM is being applied by one or the other but not both!!

Keeping life simple I set up my monitor on a regular basis using Adobe Gamma but instead of the little boxes I use a black and white image and get that neutral instead.

The above works for me, I have an R1800 and an R800 for colour printing, an HP 8750 for black and white and a 1290S for anything that doesn't require archival properties, all give me stunning results with very little rage and wastage.

Best of luck, Peter.

Nic_WA
Nic_WA  9179 forum posts Australia2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 10:05 PM

Bookmarking also - looking to buy a new printer and have always had Epsons so following this with interest. Agree with Steve about the Ilford Smooth Pearl paper - lovely finish.
Nic Smile

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2005 - 10:22 PM

Another vote for the Ilford paper, using the Ilford profiles downloaded from their website. But as someone has said before ensure that the paper profiles are only applied once.

I get excellent prints (well I've won 3 club cup competitions this year so far!) without any custom profiling or monitor calibration etc. Pretty much straight out of the box.

JohnHorne
JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
15 Dec 2005 - 10:56 PM

I'm very happy with the results from my R1800.

Just a note regarding the longevity of Ilford Galerie Smooth paper when used with this printer. Ilford's website has a factsheet which notes: In a protected display, laminated or under glass, indoors and away from direct sunlight, life expectancy of up to 10 years can be expected with both the gloss and pearl papers, depending on the ink used. You may wish to consider whether a lifespan of 10 years is sufficient for you - it certainly isn't for me.

I use PermaJet Gloss 271 and PermaJet Delta Matt Fibre, which give great results.

John

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.