Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Is it me or is the R1800 useless...

peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2005 6:59AM
Hi CB Smile How are you m8?

I consider print longevity very important as I do sometimes use my printers for pro work.Obviously for my own work it isn't so.

I have had on my windowsill for 6 months+ 3 prints half covered up.The HP 8750 printed in colour on Galerie Smooth has discoloured badly; the HP 8750 printed on HP Premium Plus hasn't moved; the colour print made with the R800 on Olmec Satin 260g hasn't moved either.

That kind of exposure to daylight would of course fade any print however made with the possible exception of Cibachromes.I think whilst manufacturer's claims may give some guidance I reckon the best tests are the ones you do yourself.

Incidentally some prints I created years ago using the Epson Photo Stylus Ex (remember that ??) which have been kept in the dark and piled on top of each other again haven't moved at all.

Rgds. Peter.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Dec 2005 7:13AM
Hi Peter, I'm not too bad ta. Would be up for another photo jaunt after Christmas so long as the weather is not too unkind!

Point taken about prints for sale, but presumably the clients could be offered either the digital file or a reprint service - at extra cost? Or is it not the 'done thing'?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Dec 2005 7:17AM
smacks of a poor product in truth.
Prints using JetTek ink on an Epson 890 using Fujifilm paper fade within months! I do not recommend this combination, LOL. (I go to the local printers for anything special!)
Westers 10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
16 Dec 2005 8:51AM
Right, I've just spent the last half hour putting my toys back in the pram and generally am a happier person.

I'VE GOT THE DAMN THING TO WORK!!!

Sorry for shouting but I'm kind of chuffed as it works on both Ilford and Epson paper. Woo Hoo.

I think I owe Epson a slight apology as some of the problems have been caused by my ignorance of the printer and also because my colour settings in PS were wrong.

So, for all those that want prints from their R1800 to look near as damn it as the screen shows, here's the settings:

Photoshop 7 and above

Colour Settings (in the edit menu)
Settings: US Prepress Defaults

Working Space - leave it as standard

Colour management profile: Make sure they all say preserve embedded profile.

Conversion Options: Engine Adobe (ACE), Intent: Relative. Tick use blank point compensation.

Printing a Picture

Do all your PS work and get it ready for printing. The click Print with Preview: Click on the Output box and select Colour Management. Source Space should be the Document Adobe RGB. Print Space Profile should be the paper profile (eg SPR1800 Premium Gloss is the setting for EPSON's premium gloss on the R1800). Intent: I used perceptual but you can try relative..I liked perceptual.

Then click Print. Make sure your printer is selected and click properties. Select either photo or best photo (only matters for quality). Then choose your paper type and size on Paper options. Then click on Advanced.

Click continue if a little warning box shows. Make sure your paper and print quality options are correctly displayed in the Paper and Quality Options. In the Colour Management box click on ICC and then in the ICC/ICM Profile click on Off (no colour management). If you want ultra quality prints then untick high speed in the print options box.

Then press ok to all of the panels on display and let it print.....however, the biggest thing to do to make sure yellows/warm colours are printed well is to increase the yellow saturation by 20% in your picture. The shot on screen will look bright but on EPSON paper it will look fine. This needs to be done before all the print options above.

Ilford papers worked without any tweaks to the shot - I just used the Ilford paper profile instead of the EPSON. Infact, I've got the EPSON and Ilford print next to each other and they look the same.

Hope this helps you all 'cos it worked for me.
16 Dec 2005 8:51AM
CB Smile good that you are OK m8.If we have some good frosts in the NY Black Park may be cool; oops back to the thread .

A selling point I use with my services is that I keep the files indefinitely and sometimes clients have come back to me 3 yrs after a wedding and ordered.

Only one client has ever asked about the longevity of digital files/ prints, the issue rarely comes up.

Interestingly many clients show me colour prints processed conventionally that have discoloured or faded badly over 10 or 15 yrs so archival life or lack of it is nothing new;it may be that modern pigment inks offer a greater lifespan that some conventional methods; whether they can compete with an archivally produced monochrome silver print only time will tell.

So after that waffle of mine I suppose CB it just isn't done or even discussed in the main, I like to think that the prints I produce will last and last - maybe just a romantic notion of mine?

Rgds. Peter.
16 Dec 2005 8:54AM
Ian WTG m8, it's great you have conquered that R1800 Smile
16 Dec 2005 9:00AM
Thanks Peter and thanks for the documents. There was one crucial point I picked up and that was the colour settings, making sure they were US Prepress. I didn't have that and this seemed to get the EPSON paper ICC's to work better.
Hazard 11 1.2k United Kingdom
16 Dec 2005 9:27AM
I gave up with mine and sold it on ebay after just 12 weeks,
I decided it was more trouble than it was worth.
keithh e2
16 Dec 2005 9:55AM
Just as an aside...how long do you think it takes the modern day print man to train....and we want it straight away.

Impatience young man......wipe on, wipe off
16 Dec 2005 10:00AM
Well, after this little experience, obviously longer than I thought.

However, if they can put a man on the moon.....
keithh e2
16 Dec 2005 10:16AM
...or Suffolk even.
Wink
KathyW 11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
16 Dec 2005 11:39AM
There are men in Suffolk?

:o)
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
16 Dec 2005 12:30PM
Had the R1800 for a few days, installed it today, and printed this thread. I'll let you know how it goes, when I set it up for colour photos tomorrow. I'm interested in an inking system any ideas.
Col
phil beale 11 1.5k United Kingdom
20 Dec 2005 9:16PM
Bookmaking

Have similar issues with the R1800 but no reason to suspect it isn't the same for all manufacturers. glad to hear you are back on the tracks westers I will order some Ilford paper and down load the profile and carry out settings you have recommended.

Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.