Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it me or is the R1800 useless...

steve neil e2
10 597 Australia
20 Dec 2005 9:46PM
Good thread. All I can add is

Quote:I was getting small "tractor" lines where the little wheels are under the cover

You can remove those tractor wheels. I did so from my Epson 1290.

Quote:If you want ultra quality prints then untick high speed in the print options box.

I thought that High Speed meant the printer head prints in both directions and therefore quicker but not at the cost of quality.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 524 England
20 Dec 2005 11:12PM
Ian, v good thread and thanks for sharing. Just adding my twopenneth for, erm, future reference :o)
Westers e2
10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
21 Dec 2005 1:50AM
Lol - good contribution Nik Wink

Not sure about the high speed print impacting quality..it's just everything I've read says to untick it and it doesn't really make print times slow. A4's are out of the printer in a couple of minutes.

One other thing. When you go into the printer properties display I usually just select best photo in there instead of either photo or photo RPM. From what I've read the photo RPM is the best but at A4 size you'll not notice any difference (if you magnify it by about 300% you'll start to notice, lol). So all photo RPM does is use even more ink for no gain at A4.

So far I've done a few more prints with it and the output is about as close as I could expect colour wise. Some subjects don't need so much yellow saturation as others but that's just an experience thing. A small point 'cos the photos are close enough to what is on the screen to be acceptable.

Oh, and Epson premium gloss does give a superb finish.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Dec 2005 1:56AM
Using the printer head in one direction does have an impact on quality.

Using Relative Colourmetric will allow mean that out of gamut colours are reproduced the closest to the intended colour.
Westers e2
10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
21 Dec 2005 2:15AM
Confused now.

So should I by setting it to high speed print?
keithh e2
21 Dec 2005 2:17AM
Untick 'High Speed'...unless you need the print 30 seconds quicker.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2005 2:20AM
If you have it set to high speed it also loads the paper double quick. This can make the load process less accurate or, if you are really unlucky, screw the paper.

I always have my R800 set to high speed off and have never had any complaints about the print speed.

Ian
Westers e2
10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
21 Dec 2005 2:36AM
So is non high speed where the print head prints in each direction?

If not, is the Relative Colourmetric setting the one in PS?
digicammad e2
21 Dec 2005 2:45AM
Looks like the high speed setting is the one which prints in both directions.

Keith, can you explain about the difference in quality when printing in one or both directions and which is supposed to give the best quality?

Ian
keithh e2
21 Dec 2005 2:56AM
Best quality is single direction prining as opposed to Bi-directional (high speed). The head makes a pass and lays down the ink, then returns without printing and goes again. Best quality is achieved by the head working the ink in one direction.
digicammad e2
21 Dec 2005 3:02AM
Thanks Keith, glad your explanation fitted with what I have always done. :0)

Ian
IanO 12 195 Scotland
21 Dec 2005 4:58AM
Can anybody tell me if all of the above excellent stuff posted by Westers would also apply to the R2400? I got mine last week, and although the first couple of prints on Epson premium gloss looked excellent, when I tried to use matt, the colours went way off (too much cyan). Sound like a profile thing.
Ian
Westers e2
10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
21 Dec 2005 6:29AM
Matt isn't that great with the R1800 on their's or Ilfords paper. I haven't played with the settings yet but yes it does sound like a profile thing.

I think it would be worth investing in a proper profile being made as by the time you've faffed arround you'll have used a set of inks, paper, and a whole load of heartache.

Ian, look here for the R2400. That's the site I got the setup for the R1800
barnowl e2
9 697
21 Dec 2005 11:53AM
Been scratching my head with this colour management business and have followed this thread with interest. Some of the stuff here is worth a read.

Gary
IanO 12 195 Scotland
22 Dec 2005 4:41AM
Thanks Westers, that looks useful, I'll give it a try over the holidays. I've also got profiles for the Permajet and Hahnemuehle papers from their web sites. Can see me needing to buy lots more ink over the holidays. Hope some of the suppliers are working!
Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.