Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it me or is the R1800 useless...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
1 Jan 2006 - 5:37 AM

Finally set up my Epson R1800 today, after having it for weeks. Tried the Creativity suite software, Darkroom and Easy Print, they both work very well, producing very quickly, useable prints. For PS7 colour settings, I used.. .Working Space Adobe RGB (1998), Proof - U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, Dot gain both 20%, Don't think I set the dot gain, they just appeared. Colour Management Policies... All Preserved Embedded - all boxes ticked. Conversion Options.. Engine - Adobe (ACE), Intent - Relative Colourmetric all boxes ticked. Advance controls... Nothing ticked. Saved as .. Epson R1800 or whatever.
Print With Preview. Show more options Ticked. Colour Management popup.. Document- Adobe RGB (1998), Proof Set Up-U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Print Space - Relative Colourmetric.. BPC ticked.
Print BOX. Printer - Epson R1800, Presets (Standard) at this stage. Copies and Pages.. Scroll to - Printer settings.. Media Type - Select the Epson Paper you are using, in this case - Premium Glossy Photo, Mode - Advanced .. Print quality- Best Photo or RPM for really extra quality, Glossy Optimizer - ON. Scroll.. Print settings - Colour Management - Tick - NO Colour Management. Presets: Scroll to save as, and save settings, usually as the Photo paper used.
Now all you need to do is select it as a preset when using that Paper. A great match for what i see on screen. Thanks to Westers and others, think I may well have cracked it easier with this thread... Thanks. Spot any mistakes, Don't be shy. A big HAPPY NEW YEAR to EPZers Everywhere.
Col

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jan 2006 - 5:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2006 - 10:11 AM

Sorry to say my print settings are playing up again. It's an acceptable print but not what's on the screen. And I've just had to do a print head clean (twice) even though I've not used it for a mere 9 days.

Purpose built profile I think is the way to go.

MKDon
MKDon  8
1 Apr 2006 - 3:38 AM

I've just subscribed in order to join this discussion so of course I can only respond here.

Re: custom profiles. Try simplyicc.com - 15 for one, 25 for two! I posted my target print last post on a Monday and it was ready for downloading the next day.

Re: SpyderPro/Printfix bundle. How the hell did you get it to work? I took my complete setup to both Bodoni Systems and Northlight-images to get them to show me what I was doing wrong and neither could achieve an even half-decent result! I've now stuffed it back in its box!!!

Re: Print settings. This must be THE most confusing area. According to Canon (I have a Pixma IP8500) the profile must be selected in Control Panel|Printers|Color Management and will override any settings made in Photoshop. They couldn't even suggest how to produce a print with NO colour adjustment, as you would need to do when printing a target for profiling. So just what are the 'right' settings to use in PS7, Control Panel and the Print dialog box to a) print with a specific profile (and apply it only once!) and b) print with no colour adjustment at all?

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
1 Apr 2006 - 5:56 AM

I also have an iP8500, although I use Elements rather than PS7.

I'm surprised Canon couldn't suggest how to print with no adjustment. The way to do it is:

In the printer preferences, set Colour Adjustment to Manual then click 'Set' and check that everything is set to zero. This ensures that the printer won't apply any changes.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.