Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is It my Camera or a software problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    razorraymac
    razorraymac e2 Member 4razorraymac vcard United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2013 - 6:42 PM

Only very recent i have a problem, i shoot 100 pictures load them into aperture, at least 8 of the 100 raw images have pink blue or white bands across the image or half the picture is covered or one corner. you can just about see the photo behind the colours, if i send them to photoshop Cs5 and look through the raw images the ones that were highlighted in aperture sometimes are ok in photoshop, the ones that are not ok might be fine in aperture. is this a software problem or is it my computer.

regards ray

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Mar 2013 - 6:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2013 - 6:53 PM

Ray,

Sounds like a camera issue to me. Does the same thing happen when you change memory cards? Can you upload an example image?

A.

razorraymac
    14 Mar 2013 - 7:05 PM

example.jpg

the same thing happens with a brand new card

Newdevonian
    14 Mar 2013 - 7:29 PM

What do they look like on your camera screen?

razorraymac
    14 Mar 2013 - 7:35 PM

They look perfect on the camera screen, even the thumbnail images look ok on the computer, it appears when i open them up?

regards ray

mikehit
    mikehit  56311 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2013 - 7:53 PM

If they are OK on your camera, have you tried opening them in the camera manufacturer's own software?

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2013 - 8:18 PM

Looks like a corrupt file. Often a single corrupted file can have a knock on effect on other images shot afterwards on the same card. I would try and salvage what you can and then format the card in-camera. Try copying a load of images from your computer hard drive to the card to see if they're written to the card without errors. Also try taking several test shots and check to see if they've come out correctly.

What brand of card is it? If it's been purchased from E-bay, it's possible it could be an inferior, fake card. Not that it couldn't happen to a decent make if you're unfortunate enough.

The images are displaying fine on your camera, because those are just jpeg previews, it's the actual Raw file itself which is probably corrupt.

Last Modified By justin c at 14 Mar 2013 - 8:22 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Mar 2013 - 10:29 PM

Do you format your cards when you have finished downloading them or do you delete them? You may have a faulty card. Have you tried other cards?

razorraymac
    14 Mar 2013 - 11:37 PM

i used a brand new one the other day and had 6 bad pics out of 50, ive always deleted pictures in the camera, now i will format the card every time i use it

User_Removed
    15 Mar 2013 - 12:13 AM

I think that some of the files are partly corrupt so when you view them on the camera it will show you the embedded jpeg which is a small part of the file, when you view them in Photoshop it will ignore the embedded jpeg and import the raw file and problems will show up. Aperture is a funny one, it could be that it uses the embedded jpeg for fast preview of files but doesn't read the raw data until you fully open one of the images in which case you should get the same result as Photoshop from the same file but only when you open it fully as if to work on it.

There's software available, for Windows and possibly for OSX, that can recover all of the embedded jpegs and save them as separate files - jpegs are better than no files at all.

Quote: i used a brand new one the other day and had 6 bad pics out of 50

A different card this time? If so that would be pretty unlucky to have two duff cards, sure there are plenty of fake cards about but they tend to be real generic memory cards with stickers claiming they are a faster card and better brand than they really are.

For it to happen to two cards I think there may be a problem with your camera, perhaps there's electromagnetic interference while camera is writing to the card (eg from a mobile in a top pocket).

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Apr 2013 - 8:11 PM

Quote: For it to happen to two cards I think there may be a problem with your camera, perhaps there's electromagnetic interference while camera is writing to the card (eg from a mobile in a top pocket).

Good advise indeed, but I have never connected my camera to a PC

Take the card out and use a card reader

ltj22
    ltj22  5 United Kingdom
    12 Apr 2013 - 7:54 PM

This happened to me, and it was a card problem, sometimes OK then like yours, new card sorted problem for ME...Len

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7110 forum postsTrev_B vcard England64 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 10:41 PM

You have six variables that could be causing the problem, Camera, memory card, card reader , computer, import software and finally imaging software. You need to isolate the problem and have already ruled out the memory card so you are now down to five. So if possible try another computer if fault still apparent the you can suspect the camera or card reader if all ok then it's the computer or software.... you get the idea, it's just a case of elimination and removing elements from the equation to find the culprit.

Best of luck..... Trev

Last Modified By Trev_B at 14 Apr 2013 - 10:43 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.