Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it my Photoshop settings ? PBox dark images

agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
5 Apr 2009 12:26PM

Quote:I've had this problem with Photobox too on many occasions... i'm actually looking to order a large Photobook off Blurb at the moment... photographs from a recent wedding... anyone used them before and if so, would you recommend them? Sorry to wander off topic...

Regards,
Moey!

I have used them and been very happy with the results. Some of the pros here will slate Blurb, but for the price, I think it is a good product. If you want to pay hundreds, there are companies out there that will a better job for you, depends what your needs are. Do a search, Blurb has come up many times, several people here have used them. Mind you, if you read their forum, you'll see complaints there of dark prints, but I use the same settings as I do with Photobox, and not had a complaint with either. I found the preview with Blurb is pretty much what you see, is what is printed.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell 12 2.1k 2 England
5 Apr 2009 8:14PM

Quote:it's probably all us that have never have a problem with Photobox that must be wrong!

Judging by this thread you are a little out numbered Wink

Hope you continue to have no problems.

Barry
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2009 10:31PM
i'm so glad this thread has appeared...i was beginning to think it was just me!

i've had this problem with Photobox for a long time, and like other folks have resorted to lightning the jpegs considerably before sending them off...its very hit and miss though.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for other online printers, as although i like the prompt service from photobox, i can't put up with the dark quality prints much longer..
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2009 7:51AM

Quote:If the prints are too dark then it is likely that your monitor is too bright. My prints from Photobox are fine and I have my monitor brightness set at 120cd/m2.

As stated this is often the reason for dark prints. Many TFP screens come with their factory settings very bright as their principal use is games playing. It is essential that the brightness is around 120cd/m2. Just as an example my Dell 2407 screen is something like double this when on the factory default setting (which in itself is just 50% on the screen menu). In calibration software, like the Spyder2 I have, it is often necessary to manually adjust the screen brightness down to the correct value which on my screen is only about 22% on the onscreen menu.
Nickscape 8 696 9 England
6 Apr 2009 8:08AM
I think you have to remember that photobox is geared up to print thousands of prints everyday, the calibration of what you send and what you receive will never be as good as with a dedicated lab. I always use photobox and always brighten before sending even with everything calibrated, its just the way their printers work so you have to adjust for it. if you want perfectly calubrated prints youll have to spend more on a better lab!
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2009 8:26AM
Prints from Photobox if inaccurate are only slightly on the dark side- maybe 1/3 to 1/2 stop under; I wouldn't use them for wedding album prints as they aren't quite good enough, you pay your money and take your choice.
If they are sent in sRGB and your monitor is calibrated you shouldn't have a significant problem with the company.
I notice no problem with other labs where I am paying more money per print.
bppowell 12 2.1k 2 England
6 Apr 2009 8:44AM
I agree with most of the above but my screen is not over bright.

I had an issue not so long ago with others seeing my images dark while on my screen there appeared ok. This was solved with the help of some on EPZ, downloaded the latest drivers and used the calibration tool that comes with Nvidia to calibrate the monitor.

I had no problems with PB for a long time then a month ago the prints started to be returned on the dark side. PB have always reprinted when asked (even did this for a photobook) but it is a pain.

Admitted I could use a more dedicated and expensive lab (not that much dearer for larger prints) but I like to pay using Paypal and PB is the only one I know that does this.

Barry
grahamab 9 183 England
9 Apr 2009 10:47AM
Received back test prints today from DC labs, FOTO, Truprint and Loxley Colour.

Same files sent to each.

After comparing them, I found that the best overall was Loxley followed by Foto, DS Labs and finally Truprint.

Loxley - Crisp, excellent very vivid prints
Foto - Crisp bright and very acceptable.
DC Labs - not as bright but good quality.
Truprint - over saturated colours, disappointing.
Photobox - Dark, drab - disappointing even when the image has been brightend via curves in Photoshop.

So it just goes to show, photobox tell me its my monitor but yet other printers seem to be able to match the screen versions without a problem. So will be trying to return those prints received for a refund from photobox.

Next job is a photobook from FOTO impressed with their software to create the book and liked their test prints. watch this space...

Graham
chasney 11 138 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 11:14AM
interesting thread Graham - quality aside, how did the prices compare?
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
9 Apr 2009 11:18AM
hey Chas - Google is your friend - or whatever search engine you prefer you lazy B*gg*r Smile

Al
chasney 11 138 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 4:07PM
Happy Easter!
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
9 Apr 2009 4:19PM

Quote:Happy Easter!

where's my egg then?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.