Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it not time

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2012 - 7:48 PM

..to have this breed classified as dangerous

BBC news

I am not interested in how they are a good dog and no doubt many members on here own one. They are unstable when it comes to small things, including childrenSad

Sorry all you SBT members , but there has been to many attacks over the last few years for it to go unmentioned

I see them with my own eyes, owned by the morons of my town.

Not interested on how they are a lovable dog, who would not harm a fly. They are not.
A good friend of ours, owned one and she agrees with me

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jun 2012 - 7:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catgirl73
catgirl73  6141 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 - 8:43 PM

I think it should be the owners classified as dangerous not the animal.

Bring back the dog licence.

That is my opinion.

Jestertheclown

I've got a German Shepherd who never gets upset about anything.
In the three years that I've had him, he's been involved in two fights. On both occasions a loose Staff. (not the same one) went for him.
In each case, it ended peacefully with the offending Staff. being pinned securely to the ground by his throat. None of the dogs were harmed, except that it was a blow to the staffs.' pride and their chavvie owners didn't like it much but no-one got hurt.
My point being that had those loose dogs gone for a small child rather than a six-and-a-half stone German Shepherd, who's not remotely frightened of them, it could well have been a different story.

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2012 - 8:45 PM

It's the morons that own them, not the dogs, that should be put down.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2012 - 8:45 PM

Quote: I see them with my own eyes, owned by the morons of my town.

So the problem is not the breed it's the morons...
Most of the aggressive Staffs I see are dog aggressive, not people aggressive.

Personally I find the idea that all dogs of the same breed act in the same way to be laughable.

Jestertheclown

Quote: Bring back the dog licence.

The reason that the dog licence was abolished was that it cost more to administer than it did to purchase.
It was almost impossible to police and consequently, no-one ever took it seriously and so never bought one. I know I didn't and I've had German Shepherds and occasionally, other dogs, for years.

Jestertheclown

Agreed Chris,
In my case, on both occasions,the dogs should have been on leads and weren't.
And you're also quite right when you say that it's daft to consider that dogs will behave in a certain way because of their breed. It wasn't so long ago that German Shepherds were thought of as inherently vicious and people still get out of my way in the street now but that stigma seems, largely, to have moved on.

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
5 Jun 2012 - 8:56 PM

Terrible news but.......

"Found in a neighbours garden after the attack"..........Where were the parents/guardian??

Last Modified By Paul65 at 5 Jun 2012 - 8:57 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315206 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2012 - 8:58 PM

I grew up with staffs, my grandmother bread them, there no more dangerous now as they were then.

You can`t blame the dogs.

Hali
Hali  344 forum posts Scotland
5 Jun 2012 - 9:38 PM

Its always heart wrenching to read stories like this.

It is true that staffy type breeds can cause more damage if something does go wrong because of the strength of their jaws, but they are still less dangerous than many other things in our lives - for example cars. In the wrong hands both can be deadly.

I do agree that it is time to bring back dog licences - these shouldn't just be a record of ownership, but more like a driving licence - you should have to pass a test to prove that you are a 'safe' owner and understand the responsibilities.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: it is time to bring back dog licences

The administration cost would make it inefficient .

Jestertheclown
5 Jun 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quote: I do agree that it is time to bring back dog licences - these shouldn't just be a record of ownership, but more like a driving licence - you should have to pass a test to prove that you are a 'safe' owner and understand the responsibilities.

Who would pay for all of this?
The licence would have to cost more than the dog.

Hali
Hali  344 forum posts Scotland
6 Jun 2012 - 8:13 AM

Quote: it is time to bring back dog licences

The administration cost would make it inefficient .

Quote: I do agree that it is time to bring back dog licences - these shouldn't just be a record of ownership, but more like a driving licence - you should have to pass a test to prove that you are a 'safe' owner and understand the responsibilities.
Who would pay for all of this?
The licence would have to cost more than the dog.

Well, given that some dogs cost 1,000-2,000 (and sometimes more), it isn't necessarily the case that the licence would cost more than the dog. The licence needn't necessarily be a yearly one - it could be valid for say 5 or 10 years, but yes, I would envisgage it costing several hundred pounds (with some exemptions - e.g. pensioners and those who need their dogs for work)

Breeders would have to keep records to show that the person they sold to had a valid licence and I think the overall effect would reduce the number of poorly bred dogs churned out by back-yard-breeders and puppy farms.

Don't get me wrong, I think dog ownership is a wonderful thing and should be available to all. But having done volunteer work for a rescue charity, I am very well aware how many people see dogs as a disposal commodity - buying a pup on a whim and then dumping them when the novelty wears off. If people had to pay for and pass a test before getting a dog, it is likely to make them take it more seriously and there would be more accountability.

I also think that the number of dogs abandonded every year would go down and that the charities currently needed to try and deal with the huge number of unwanted dogs could then support those people who might genuinely struggle to pay for the licence.

But I doubt that it will ever happen and I'll get off my soap box now.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2012 - 8:29 AM

And you think the type of person that owns these type of dogs (many already illegal) would actually go out and buy a licence ?

collywobles
6 Jun 2012 - 8:46 AM

The problem with anyone who owns a dog or a cat is that they think everyone else loves them too.

All dogs should be muzzled although in the example given here it would have made no difference as it was in a private garden.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.