Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it possible to install and run software from an external harddrive?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    limafish
    limafish  6 United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:11 PM

Work has some computers set up to return to a set state each time they are restarted and this removes any additional programs or settings that have been made whilst the computer is on.

I want to be able to use a program such as GIMP or photoshop to manipulate some pictures which will be stored on an external drive.

Is it possible to have the program on the external drive as well and run it from there so it doesn't actually go on to the computer?

If it is possible can anyone provide idiot proof steps please?

I know an alternative would be to use Sumopaint, but have found this to be incredibly slow - that might be the way I am trying to use it, the internet connection, what I am trying to do, the computer or perhaps the program (haven't tried it elsewhere so don't know).

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks
    Rob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:15 PM

The vast majority of Windows applications register DLLs and write information to the registry. So even if the program is stored externally, all that registration would be lost on restart.

Ian

TP
    TP  457 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:18 PM

Yes it is perfectly possible, but often the programs need to be modified so they can run properly, (see digicammad's post we posted at the same time!)i dont believe there is a legal version of photoshop thats portable but i could be wrong its not something i have looked at for a few years.
    this site is what you are looking for
    http://portableapps.com/apps
    they have a portable version of gimp. I have used these apps in the past the installation is very easy just download the exes and point them to the removable drive you wish them to run off.
    I havent used any of these for a few months now but i assume not much has changed!
    Hope that helps you

Last Modified By TP at 15 Mar 2010 - 12:19 PM
    dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108374 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:24 PM

Have a look at Portable Apps which run from a USB drive.
    GIMP Portable is available and may just be what you're looking for.

*EDIT I really must type quicker... Smile

Last Modified By dougv at 15 Mar 2010 - 12:50 PM
    Sparkleson
    15 Mar 2010 - 12:40 PM

Ian (digicammad) is right: Full applications make modifications to the system (registry & dll registration), so these would stop working after the restart.

Portable apps suggested above should continue to work fine, you are just limited on what apps are available (There should be a Gimp one, but there certainly isn't a Photoshop one ...)

Jestertheclown
    15 Mar 2010 - 1:07 PM

GIMP portable will work from a USB key etc:

GIMP prtable

as will: HornilStylepix portable

I've got both on a key and use them whenever I can't use my own computer, at the school where I work for example and they both work fine although they're slightly slower to load than the installed versions. Although, having said that, GIMP's not very quick anyway.

Personally, I much prefer StylePix. It's much easier to use than GIMP and a lot easier on the eye! But that's just my preference. In terms of performance, I don't think there's much to chose between them.

Hope this helps.

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 15 Mar 2010 - 1:14 PM
    discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 1:11 PM

Jester, you need to put the link text into the bottom box, the one at the top is the bit that turns blue Smile If in doubt, copy it into both sections.

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 15 Mar 2010 - 1:12 PM
    Jestertheclown
    15 Mar 2010 - 1:14 PM

So I've just realised!

Thanks again.

limafish
    limafish  6 United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2010 - 3:21 PM

Thank you to you all for your assistance. Didn't know portable apps existed so that should help lots.

Thanks

Rob

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.