Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it Really Your Equipment That's Lacking...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014715 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 7:48 PM

I've been running up against this wall ever since I chose photography as a hobby. I get new kit, I go out and use it, even enjoy it, and then somewhere along the way I start to lose interest, or get frustrated. Is it the kit, or is it me? Do I need to go buy a new lens because I don't go out as much anymore with the camera, or do I need to press on and go out with the same old kit, come home with a hundred or so pictures on the card, and delete them. What is the answer?

I think I've found the answer for me; it's to work harder, and become more focused on the basics, develop my skills, get more out of the kit that I have. Another thing that helps me is to look at more photos, study the ones I like, and try and discover why I like them, and learn from them. It seems to me, we have to stop once in awhile, and go back and review what we've been doing, work on correcting our mistakes, instead of repeating them, the way I do.Tongue

One thing I've discovered with my photography recently while editing some of my older photos with new software I've been using is that I'm finally beginning to understand the histogram, and seeing why it is so important to get the dynamic range of the scene right when I take the photo; I'm beginning to see the flaws when I don't do it right, and I have deleted numerous photos from my library recently that I thought were ok with edits made in software. On closer examination of the photos, I was able to see where I made mistakes, and learn that I don't like many of the fixes I've been doing in the editing processes. In a nutshell, I have to be more aware, and much more particular about the basics when I'm shooting.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Oct 2013 - 7:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

indemnity
indemnity  5329 forum posts
28 Oct 2013 - 7:59 PM

Took a look at your port, it's difficult to answer your question.

Graysta
Graysta  91134 forum posts England
28 Oct 2013 - 8:03 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head.
Since shooting with the D800 I look at what I am doing more because imperfections are bigger
But as you say going back on old files with new software has also, provided me with another look at the way I shoot.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014715 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 8:36 PM

Yes, for some reason I see more flaws in my photos since I started using onOne Perfect Photo Suite, and most of the flaws I'm seeing are obviously because I didn't pay enough attention to the exposure. It could be that I'm just learning to see more.Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 11:43 PM

Quote: One thing I've discovered with my photography recently while editing some of my older photos with new software I've been using is that I'm finally beginning to understand the histogram, and seeing why it is so important to get the dynamic range of the scene right when I take the photo

The histograms just another of them tools, if it works well for you then use it Smile

I would not call it essential though, in fact I never use mine.

StrayCat
29 Oct 2013 - 2:35 AM

I use the histogram to help me get the full dynamic range when taking the image, and again when editing. For me to edit some images, I look at the range of each colour, and others just to ensure I don't have blown highlights or shadows with no detail. If I remember correctly Paul, you do a fair bit of B&W; I find the histogram quite helpful for conversion to B&W.

My original post may have given you the idea that this thread is focused on the histogram; that was not my intention, I only mention that as an example, I'm talking about learning to properly use the kit I have, before purchasing more. I'm beginning to come to terms with the Olympus 17mm f1.8, which I absolutely adore, and the Panasonic 100-300mm I've taken about 25 to 30 thousand images with, so I'm fairly familiar with that. However, I have 3 more lenses, filters, and flashes to conquer yet, it's a never-ending quest, and that's what makes it important to me as a hobby.

I definitely don't envy anybody who knows it all. Wink

MichaelMelb_AU
29 Oct 2013 - 4:52 AM

Nobody knows it all. And I reckon never will. As for the cameras and skills mix I can completely agree with you. Many users get rid of their still immaculate camera in favor of newer model - which they also will never use to the fullest. There are twofold reasons for that. Some believe that the camera is smarter than them and will do everything for them. Maybe, they have some merit with the first partWink Others are after convenience - like me. I keep my old Canon EOS10d and bought quite recently EOS550d for it is considerably lighter (helps my back), quicker, and has live view. The last one is important point - it allows me to save on lens by using old great manual ones form my collection ( and recently bought too). Am I into models 600,650,700 and and 750? Most likely I will pass on them - while still keeping the 10D for what I see as art work. The camera you know the best is better than the newest one.
What is particularly good about skills though - they are usable with any camera, don't break and can't be left on a car seat. For that they are definitely worth investing some money and a lot of time.
Histograms - good guide if not overdone. After all, we are after an image, but not it's statistical representation.

StrayCat
29 Oct 2013 - 5:55 AM

I agree Michael. I include my own images when I say that most photos that are posted on the web in galleries are overdone. I'm not talking about images that are intentionally manipulated and not meant by the poster to represent reality, I'm talking about most images generally. Many of those I used to admire and think; I would like to be able to do that someday, but now I'm beginning to recognise what's a good image, and what's window dressing. I hope I'm entering another phase of learning. Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2013 - 6:12 AM

Quote: I'm beginning to come to terms with the Olympus 17mm f1.8

Yes I`m very envious of you Denny Smile

On the subject of histograms and getting the best out of a camera Denny, a fully calibrated workflow makes for a good starting point, not just your monitor but your camera`s as well.

For the more serious stuff I do I have found the colour checker passport a superb bit of kit and it is not to expensive.

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257

StrayCat
29 Oct 2013 - 8:30 AM

Thanks Brian, I'll look at that. I posted a photo a few days ago, and one comment was "even with the harsh light." I don't know why he said that, if anything, it was dark on my monitor.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2013 - 9:39 PM

I did just hit the link to your PF and came out surprised ... very surprised.

Mozzy

Paul Morgan
29 Oct 2013 - 11:16 PM

Now I am getting confused, Denny thanks Brian but Brian hasn`t been here, and Mozzy`s going on about a phantom portfolio Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2013 - 12:28 AM

sell the house and get all new top end kit

bound to work

Smile

StrayCat
30 Oct 2013 - 1:03 AM

Sorry Paul, I'm sure I saw Brian's name, must be getting close to Halloween. Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110246 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2013 - 7:07 AM

Quote: I'm sure I saw Brian's name, must be getting close to Halloween

Hmm, do I resemble that remark or not? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.