Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Is it Really Your Equipment That's Lacking...

30 Oct 2013 4:02PM
People think that photography is based on equipment, 'if I get a a 'Pro' camera I'll be able to take images like the Pro's', unfortunately it's not true, you can't buy being a good photographer, no more than you can buy being a good musician or chef.

Any camera is just an image recording device, it records what you point it at.

Getting what you point it at is the hard thing to learn, lighting, an interesting subject, camera angles, composition, lighting angles, the 'moment' etc. etc.. Getting them together within a frame is what makes great photographs.

A 'pro' camera can make getting the shot in difficult conditions easier, it can have all the functions, e.g. auto bracketing for HDR, it will be better built, but that's about the extent of it IMHO.

Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
30 Oct 2013 4:10PM
indeed - owning a 70,000 steinway grand does not make you a pianist

had a go on one once actually, found the keys a bit on the heavy side Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
30 Oct 2013 6:58PM
My wife played the piano on the QE II, which came from the Queen Mary, and it didn't sound as good as her own little piano.Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
30 Oct 2013 10:13PM
...interesting, any thoughts on why it didn't sound as good?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Oct 2013 10:29PM
Damp
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
30 Oct 2013 11:16PM
Atmosphere?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Oct 2013 12:36AM
damp would be my suggestion too

when I was a kid the piano got moved into the kitchen/dining room and it was never really the same

not really an issue any more, can't have an acoustic in these modern houses, walls too thin... so it's all digital and consistent... love my tritons and the Nord I play in the blues brothers band has an amazing Steinway, fender rhodes and wurlitzer - not to mention the Hammond B3 which screams Green Onions out when you add a bit of distortion and hit the fast Leslie speaker pedal...

do miss the acoustic though

when mum and dad went out, I'd take all the panels off it and play with the hammers showing - the sound uninhibited... amazing..
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
31 Oct 2013 4:04AM
Liberace used to play the Grand when it was on the Queen Mary. All I remember is it was white.

My wife has had her Rolands KR500 for about 30 years. I had it reconditioned when we moved to the wild west 19 years ago, still going strong.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.