Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it right to fire all over 65's?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
cheddar-caveman
12 Dec 2010 - 7:55 PM

I read with disbelief that Longleat, that family friendly day out park in Wiltshire, owned by that loveable rogue the Marquis of Bath (78) has arbitarily fired all their over 65's, just because they are over 65!!!

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 12 Dec 2010 - 7:55 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Dec 2010 - 7:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 7:57 PM

Seems fair enough to me.

cheddar-caveman
12 Dec 2010 - 7:59 PM

Quote: Seems fair enough to me.

Obviously not a pensioner trying to live on 90/week!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 8:02 PM

Not a pensioner, I`m just somebody out of work and trying to survive on 65 a week.

keith selmes
12 Dec 2010 - 8:10 PM

At the moment people at 65 or over can be made to retire, even if they want to continue working.
This will change soon as new laws are phased in.
Some employers seem to be clearing out their old people rather than wait and see how the new laws work.
(The marquis is definitely not the only one)

For the country as a whole it doesn't really make sense to kick out some of the most experienced and capable individuals simply because they reached a certain age, especially with a longer living population and the the difficulty of paying pensions.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85744 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 8:11 PM

the law is changing, or so I believeGrin
I work for one of the O.C's of the largest construction company in the UK.
I expect to work on for a few years after the official retirement age.
It is their policy anyway.

keith selmes
12 Dec 2010 - 8:14 PM

A bit of background http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/7995276/Retirement-law-needs-clarifying....

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2010 - 8:15 PM

Given the protests in France etc over rising the retirement age there is an irony in this. UK employment law does allow for an employer to force a person to retire if over 65. Bit of a balancing act, retirement ages need to rise but with high unemployment forced retirement will open up jobs for the un-employed. My concern would be is this part time work that is coming free rather than full time work.

cheddar-caveman
13 Dec 2010 - 8:43 AM

Quote: Not a pensioner, I`m just somebody out of work and trying to survive on 65 a week.

Sorry to hear that Paul. So how come, made redundent? Never worked (like one of my daughters now in her 40's)? Are you prepared to work for 5+ an hour? Are you prepared to move to where there is work? (there will be jobs at Longleat!) Are you prepared to do any job that comes along?

Loads of questions behind this answer!

keith selmes
13 Dec 2010 - 8:58 AM

Quote: forced retirement will open up jobs for the un-employed. My concern would be is this part time work that is coming free rather than full time work

Some big assumptions there. At Longleat it might be part timers and low grade work. But I'm thinking for example about people with a wealth of experience, and engaged in training young people who are starting out in their career. Or the one who had just negotiated a contract which would bring money into the organizaton, the sort of person who might create a vacancy for an assistant. Forcibly retiring them may not create jobs and may actually lose jobs or opportunities for younger people.

The problem I think is that eventually everyone will reach a time when they can't really work effectively.
If there isn't a standard cut off age, dealing with this might be difficult, and employers often want to play safe and avoid the hassle.

I know of one employer which plans on clearing out its over 65 people. Some of them are fighting it, some of them are keen to take the redundancy and go.

Bluke
Bluke e2 Member 9299 forum postsBluke vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Dec 2010 - 9:08 AM

The hospital were I work have finished all the over 65s ...These people "nursing staff/clarks still do a great job and can do the job better than some younger staff....What a shame you get asked to leave after 30+ years of being loyal to your company.....Being pushed on the scrap heap before you are readySad...... They have not been replased so the unployed have not been given their jobs...
PS no Redundancy was offered either....

Last Modified By Bluke at 13 Dec 2010 - 9:10 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 6:15 PM

Quote: Is it right to fire all over 65's?

Only if their name is Vince Cable! Tongue Grin

chrissd
chrissd  8304 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Dec 2010 - 6:29 PM

Of course it is right to fire all the over 65s.....you dont have to pay them off!!.....you can then get cheaper labour!!........Never mind about all the experience they bring to the workplace.......employers will find that out soon enough....possibly to there cost...the fact that a lot of us elders dont feel a day over 30 or even act it has nothing to do with it............the fact that we can do more manual work than someone half our age counts for nothing, we feel comfortable in our skin...capable of anything..and we dont moan on about things.we just get on and do it !!.....employers lose us at your peril !!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61581 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom572 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 6:40 PM

bring it down to 60 for me if they release a pension, ive been ready for 5 years and im only 58

Paul Morgan
21 Dec 2010 - 10:44 PM

Quote: bring it down to 60 for me if they release a pension, ive been ready for 5 years and im only 58

Would make more sense than raising the retirement age.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.