Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it right to fire all over 65's?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 11:14 PM

it would also make more opportunities for those younger with families
Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Dec 2010 - 11:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

trivets12
trivets12  101151 forum posts
22 Dec 2010 - 9:31 AM

The reason they are firing all the over 65's is because they can replace them with cheaper labour, as said earlier. However, it is a fact that younger people are less reliable i.e take more sick time - especially those with children -, frequently turn up late or not at all, want to go early, are less team orientated etc. etc. Once this becomes apparent to employers, I think they will be asking the over 60's to come back! I know some of you won't like my comment but I work in a hospital and I can tell you that is a fact that younger workers have FAR more sick time than the over 50's. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Sezz
Sezz e2 Member 9617 forum postsSezz vcard England15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 2:49 PM

I can see both points here, bringing the retirement age down will free up jobs for the younger people and for those desperately seeking employment. However I still think that there is a place for the older generation still wanting to work. My Dad will soon be 76 yrs old, he's widowed and is still working. He likes/needs to have a reason to get up in the morning, loves the social aspect and generally enjoys his work! He works at Castle Combe Manor Golf Club, running the shop, getting out the buggies, taking bookings etc... he gets up at 5am for the early shifts including a half hour drive and never complains. He hardly ever takes time off sick and does the unsociable hours that the youngsters don't want to do - including Boxing Day and New Year!! Is it time to tell him he's no longer wanted when he's still very fit and able? I don't wan't to think about what will happen to him if he has to give it up!

collywobles
22 Dec 2010 - 4:38 PM

The trouble with the over 65's is that they are expensive in a good job and probably cost the employer 100K a year. Many are reluctant to change and are stuck in their ways and some have trouble with modern technology. The advantage is that they are reliable, experienced and trustworthy.

Youngsters on the other hand are cheap 50K a year, you can change their employment contracts, lack experience but can be moulded, are inundated with technology and change is just part of their day..

There is always a need to find a balance. It also depends on what job is being discussed.

Colin

Sezz
Sezz e2 Member 9617 forum postsSezz vcard England15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 4:56 PM

Quote: some have trouble with modern technology

Just to say that my 76yr old Dad has recently got an iphone, found his way around it instantly! Me however..... lol Wink

Last Modified By Sezz at 22 Dec 2010 - 4:57 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014647 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 5:30 PM

For many, many years individual pilots have been fighting the compulsory retirement age of 60 for airline pilots in Canada. It has been before the courts for years, and last year the ruling went in favour of the pilots, the reasoning being that it is age discrimination, which is against the law. I feel sorry for someone who has no more in their life than work. Retirement is a time to look forward to, a time to do all the things you didn't have time for when working. As for having a reason to get up in the morning; if you don't have a hobby, do some volunteer work. Real work is for young people, not us old fogies, and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. I have known many colleagues over the years who just gave up after retirement and were gone within a couple of years.

Thw key is to plan well ahead for the day you retire, and don't look at it as being just discarded or as being of no use anymore, which can be easy to do. If you start a little retirement financial plan when you first start working, you won't miss the little bit that goes into your plan for the future each month. Make sure it's a mobile plan, because it isn't likely you'll spend your working life with one company. I would aim for 55 as a retirement age; you're still young enough to enjoy lots of what life has to offer. I retired at 58, but I was ready to go at 55, and should have gone then, but I really have no regrets. You're moving into a new phase of life, not being thrown onto the trashpile, plan for it, it should be your best years; leave the work to the youngsters.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 7:26 PM

I don't think Bruce Forsyth would agree with a strict (or should that be strictly? Wink) no over 65s rule!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 7:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think Bruce Forsyth would agree with a strict (or should that be strictly? ) no over 65s rule!

A very convincing reason why it should be brought in ! Wink

Besides I thought BBC had a no over 40 rule for women

Jestertheclown
22 Dec 2010 - 8:38 PM

Quote: I don't think Bruce Forsyth would agree with a strict (or should that be strictly? Wink) no over 65s rule!

I'd say Bruce Forsyth was a good example of why we should implement one!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2010 - 9:00 AM

Quote: I'd say Bruce Forsyth was a good example of why we should implement one!

Seconded. Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2010 - 10:18 AM

Quote: Quote:I'd say Bruce Forsyth was a good example of why we should implement one!

I disagree - I much prefer him to the new generation of foul mouthed comics.

But then I am an "old fogey" myself.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2010 - 10:59 AM

Isn't that bloke David Bernstein who's jus been appointed the next FA chairman, 67 years old!

I think the government should step in to block this as I'm sure there are a few 20something folk out there who could be appointed instead

Jestertheclown
23 Dec 2010 - 11:03 AM

Quote: I disagree - I much prefer him to the new generation of foul mouthed comics.

I take your point Jas. I don't have any time for most of these modern so-called comedians either.

As for Bruce Forsythe, I never could stand him. Even fifty years ago, I could never see why people liked him but with the best will in the world, it's hard to deny that he's now got to the point where he's embarrasing to watch.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53580 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2010 - 5:47 PM

Are companies getting rid quick before the law changes to allow them to stay. I assume as well as salary, health insurance costs etc can be more for older workers and time off sick may be longer too, now is the window to retire people before law changes disallow this.
Some others are just uncomfortable managing people older than themselves, so see it a an easy option to reduce the potetential for feeling undermined by advice from those with experiance.
I see a day where older people are routinly employed in distributed UK call centers as they are generally more polite and professional and would promote a better company image.

keith selmes
23 Dec 2010 - 6:00 PM

I don't think its exactly true that older people have more time sick. Sometimes I hear that younger people do.
However there must come a time when a person becomes incapable, which may include using more sick leave, and it isn't clear how employers will be able to deal with that. Thing is, there is no set age at which a person becomes unable to function as required, it depends on the individual and the nature of the work. The mandatory retirement age is an easy way of dealing with it, but it might not be the best.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.