Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is it the same

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    27 May 2013 - 8:26 PM

I often wonder so it makes sense to always shoot in colour and then covert to mono but if you shoot in mono does the image turn out the same or better than the converted colour image

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 May 2013 - 8:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
    Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 8:30 PM

Depends how much control you want over the final image. If you shoot raw+jpeg then the raw file is colour even if the jpeg is set to be mono, so that's the best of both worlds. Sometimes you can tell whether colour will be better or worse than the mono shot, so I think it's better to hedge your bets until you decide in the comfort of your own home! If you use the presets in something like Elements it is only a starting point, but you'd be far better using full fat photoshop for a better conversion, although Nik Exex is the big software for mono.

Last Modified By Snapper at 27 May 2013 - 8:32 PM
    redsnappa
    redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 May 2013 - 8:52 PM

Always shoot in colour as if you select the black and white mode on you camera it will be sod law that some of the pictures taken would have worked better in colour than in black and white, you quickly realise that it is not possible to put the colour back in a photo taking on the cameras black and white setting.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 8:59 PM

Unless you have a dedicated digital mono camera (I only know of the Leica - but there may be others) - I believe that the mono mode of your camera is effectively processing the image for you. If you shoot in colour and then convert to mono - each colour can be manipulated during the conversion process to give the desired effect. In short, if you opt to shoot in colour, and in RAW, and then convert later to mono you will retain the maximum possible control over the final look and feel of your image.

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    28 May 2013 - 5:44 AM

thanks for replies

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 8:13 AM

Ditto Snapper. I quite often put the camera to b/w mode and shoot Raws and Jpegs. That way you can see on the screen how the mono version will look, but you still have the option to use colour later if you want. I love using the camera this way as it reminds me of the "old days". Smile

MichaelMelb_AU
    28 May 2013 - 9:04 AM

Ideally one should take a RAW colour photo and then make it into B&W with some software. This will allow for better control over image gradations, contrast and detail separation. B&W film has spectral sensitivity specifications different to colour digital sensor. Alternatively, if your camera allows taking B&W RAWs - and I know that at least some of cameras do that- this would be a very decent option too. But taking a B&W image in JPG severely limits lights/darks/contract adjustment diapason and makes detail separation almost completely impossible. However, there will be a lot of people who are happy with in-camera automatic processing - and it will be be perfectly OK if somebody likes it. As for the OP question - better or worse result depends more on the photographer's skill than any particular technique employed for image taking.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 28 May 2013 - 9:14 AM
    alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2013 - 9:32 AM

If you shoot in RAW, it doesn't matter whether you choose B&W on the camera. The file will always be there and can be converted back to colour. If you have problems visualising how something will look in B&W then shoot in RAW and B&W so you can see what it looks like on the camera monitor. Then I would put the file back into colour and create the B&W image in your software so that you can control what it looks like.
    Alan

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    28 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

The crucial thing about producing a mono image is being able to adjust the colour channels independently in post-exposure processing. To do that you need to shoot in colour. It's the digital equivalent of using colour filters in front of the lens when shooting with black and white film.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.