Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it true or Photoshopped?

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 5:40PM

Quote:Keith, it didn't! Only the initial result showed that.

I thought the idea was to plug it in and get an answer, not to try 'best of 3'. So if the 'inital result' says 'OK' why would you repeat the check?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 5:46PM
I can't understand your highbrow argument Mike, it's way over my head, I just know one person who made good money after not ignoring something she otherwise would have and one person ignoring someone who confessed he'd deceived her after she ran his photo through the app.
24 Jul 2014 6:01PM
Would your sister still have pursued the cabinet if there was a doubt over the honesty of the image? From the sounds of it, no. However, would the app tell her 'why' there was a doubt over the image? Can we be completely sure that all the other viewers/potential buyers thought it was faked in some way and that was their sole reason for not pursuing it further?

As you said, she still went to see the cabinet before making up her mind, so really all your example shows is that your sister saw a cabinet, used an app, went to see it and bought it for what you say was a great price. How much did the price influence her decision?

I'm sure we have all bought things (or gone to see them) off the back of a picture. Sometimes they turn out to be disappointing, sometimes they turn out to be even better than the picture showed.

Moral of the story... use common sense (not sure if thats available in the App Store)
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 6:28PM
Without app: Sister sees cabinet, looks too good, dismisses it as too good to be true and decides to spend time and money on something else. (Common Sense)

With app: Sister sees cabinet, looks too good, dismisses it as too good to be true decides to check photo and is pleasantly surprised to see it seems genuine, decides to go and look at cabinet using own eyes.
24 Jul 2014 6:54PM
So the common sense is to miss out on something because she didnt trust a photograph rather than trusting her own eyes?

I am trusting she hasnt been a regular or successful buyer previous to using the app?

But again, what would have happened if the app came back saying it had been manipulated in some way (when in fact, it had been resized or cropped)? She would have lost out on the sale?

Would another potential buyer who hadnt used or heard of the app come along eventually anyway?

I know you cant see the flaws in the app, and how the majority of the others commenting here can't see it being anything other than 'fun but potentially useless', but personally i cant understand the fascination and support you have for it

Either way, the winners are the seller of the cabinet (unless they totally under-priced it), and the app developer (assuming its a paid app)
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 7:31PM

Quote:I can't understand your highbrow argument Mike, it's way over my head, I just know one person who made good money after not ignoring something she otherwise would have and one person ignoring someone who confessed he'd deceived her after she ran his photo through the app.

Not a highbrow attitude at all - just amused that you seem totally unable to understand why people are sceptical about it.
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 9:03PM

Quote:you seem totally unable to understand why people are sceptical about it.

No I do understand, the reason they are skeptical about it is that they aren't intelligent enough to see how it could be used to their advantage. We are talking about people who think the epz menu system is hard to work. This is bound to be over their heads.

Quote:But again, what would have happened if the app came back saying it had been manipulated in some way (when in fact, it had been resized or cropped)? She would have lost out on the sale?

But, (again) she would have not bothered to go and see it. Which is what she would have chosen to do without the existence of the app.

Quote:Would another potential buyer who hadnt used or heard of the app come along eventually anyway

Pmsl, how would that affect my sister? This is too complicated for you? Try reading this bit again:

~Remember at this point my sister is the potential buyer who is reluctant to travel to see the cabinet and her default position would be to spend time and money on another piece~

Without app imagine app never been invented: Sister sees cabinet, looks too good, dismisses it as too good to be true and decides to spend time and money on something else. (Common Sense because it's a long way to go)

With app: Sister sees cabinet, looks too good, dismisses it as too good to be true decides to check photo and is pleasantly surprised to see it seems genuine, decides to go and look at cabinet using own eyes gets fab bargain which she resells through her ID business at a handsome profit.

I don't think that you're capable of getting your head around the concept. After all you haven't even picked up on the fact that it's not a paid app.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
24 Jul 2014 9:12PM

Quote:the reason they are skeptical about it is that they aren't intelligent enough to see how it could be used to their advantage.

The reason that I'm sceptical is blindingly obvious to everyone except you.

Unlike your sister, who by seemingly found it at just the right time, when I used it, it didn't work.
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 10:21PM
Jester, I know you have some strange views; like that you can't do much with a 600px photo (don't forget to tell that to people who've made very successful websites from such pictures as well as the CNC millers) or your view that the menu system at epz is so difficult to use that it would be easier to navigate the Atlantic in a rowing boat.

Quote:Unlike your sister, who by seemingly found it at just the right time, when I used it, it didn't work

!? You're probably the wrong guy to test out web apps.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 10:23PM

Quote:

No I do understand, the reason they are skeptical about it is that they aren't intelligent enough to see how it could be used to their advantage. We are talking about people who think the epz menu system is hard to work. This is bound to be over their heads.

Thanks for the poorly-veiled insult in the first sentence Wink. Your second sentence is unnecessary sniping and nothing to do with the point in hand.

At the risk of being patronising I'll break this down into steps so there is no misunderstanding of where I am coming from:
I can see how people would see this tool and want to use it to their advantage
I can see how people would use the app and then use the information that came out of it (as your sister did)
What I am sceptical about is the value of it purely because there are too many issues with either consistency (the yes/no answer to the duck-billed elephant) or reliability as shown by some posters already. Add to this it can only be used for unmodified out-of-camera jpegs so you are automatically limiting its applicability (something I am not sure most users of the app would understand) - especially for photo competitions or legal evidence where a false statement of 'not confirmed' would destroy an otherwise good case (as could a false positive).

Whether people will use it is one thing. Whether it is a valuable tool is highly questionable and most people using it are asking for a quick fix without really understanding the pro/cons especially with the way the app is marketed.
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 10:34PM
There was no intention on my part to veil the insults Mike.Tongue

I agree with 99% of what you've just said and I agree that the marketing of the app is over the top but I do genuinely think that the lestertheloon types really do miss the possibilities, it's a tool that can help form an opinion.

If someone was uploading out of camera jpegs and it was saying they were definitely manipulated then I'd be less impressed, but it seems to me to err on the side of caution. I can see them selling the API to other websites who can run it on uploaded images before they resize.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
24 Jul 2014 10:40PM
Oh dear, as is usual in these forums, when someone fails to convince the rest of the world that theirs is the only opinion that can possibly be right, they have to resort to personal insults and name calling.

It's just taken a bit longer than usual.

G'night.
24 Jul 2014 10:44PM
And the insults start a-flying.

I am more than capable of getting around the concept of the app, but dont see it as anything more than a toy

I am not getting my head around why you continually ignore the flaws and try to support it with random tales of sisters who have miraculously had good fortune from using it.

As far as me not checking as to whether the app is free or not, well, i was not interested in testing it, so never looked at any potential costs. However from the website description, it does look like they are aiming along the lines of having a paid version (judging by the currently unavailable features that could potentially make the app worthwhile to some).

But if these 'sisters' of yours see success from it, fair play to them. Although i still dont think you grasp the concept that if the app had delivered a verdict of 'fake' on an image that was cropped or resized, she would have lost out on the deal. Instinct, experience and proper investigation will always win over an app
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 10:45PM
You need two people to have an argument and it takes somebody at the other side of the screen to be just as tenacious and just as convinced that they are right, the loser leaves the debate tail between his legs Grin

Quote:G'night
trah Bren
Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
24 Jul 2014 10:57PM

Quote:continually ignore the flaws and try to support it with random tales of sisters who have miraculously had good fortune from using it.

Just had a cousin on the phone Paul! One of eight cousins, (immediate variety)

His dog was missing (expensive rare breed) and after putting up a few posters he was contacted by someone claiming to be in possession of the luckless animal asking if there was a "reward", sensing foul play, my cousin - err Nathan - asked for a photo of the animal which showed it to be alive and well.

Nathan received an image from a Hotmail account that appeared to show the dog with a copy of today's Mirror newspaper. Before going any further Nathan uploaded the photograph to a handy online scanning service which detected the shadows were wrong and metadata that showed the use of a well-known image manipulation application program. Nathan realising that the app wasn't foolproof still made the decision to hold off for a couple of hours.

An hour and 59 minutes later a kindly neighbour returned 'Rocky' the rare expensive dog after finding him wandering around dazed. Tonight Nate and Rocky are happily reunited and enjoying a slap-up meal with the money Nate saved.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.