Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it worth having my Nikon D90 repaired?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    crazycolt1
    11 Mar 2014 - 9:35 AM

Hi guys
    Posted on here a while back about my Nikon D90, which had stopped working. I've had a quote from a camera repair place, for 96, to repair the circuit, clean the CCD, and service the camera. The cheapest I can find a D90 if about 400, so worth giving it a go? What do you think? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Mar 2014 - 9:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

icphoto
    icphoto  131147 forum posts England
    11 Mar 2014 - 9:52 AM

Personally I would not bother! The camera is old by modern standards, chances are that something else will got wrong with it, cut your losses and get something more up to date.Sad

bigpete
    11 Mar 2014 - 10:00 AM

Got to be worth while even used on ebay worth 150 +, so there is money back on the repair at least, as it is it's a total loss Grin

Pete

MODERATOR POST
    crazycolt1
    11 Mar 2014 - 10:05 AM

Mmm, two different opinions then. I have already replaced it, but - it's nice to have a backup, and I have a son who would like it for his first foray into DSLR's. I also have 2 batteries for it that don't, of course, fit my new camera! So maybe give it a go. Thanks.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 11:20 AM

I would pay for the repairs. The D90 is a great camera and has plenty of years left to it. My son has mine and I'm sure he will make use of it for some time to come.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 12:10 PM

90 isn't a bad quote and I'm sure you'll agree the D90 is a useful piece of kit as a back up or first user camera. If you were looking for a used camera you'd bite the hand off to get a D90 for 90...

thewilliam
    11 Mar 2014 - 12:47 PM

Much will depend on the skill of the repairer. The best will quickly find the fault and replace only those parts that have died. Many problems are caused by bad connections and it may not need any parts.

The worst repairers will be like the UK workshop that told my parents, "we've changed everything and the (intermittent) fault is still there" when faced with a warranty repair. Luckily, they drove past the factory in Lyons on their way south, called in, and a final-year apprentice located the bad connection within 5 minutes.

carper123
    carper123 e2 Member 279 forum postscarper123 vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 6:17 PM

Its a brilliant camera, well worth having it repaired.
    Darryl. SmileSmileSmile

ChrisJD
    ChrisJD  492 forum posts Scotland
    11 Mar 2014 - 7:52 PM

I would repair it if I were you. It's a cherished camera and as the posts above point out, it's a financially sound move too.

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2014 - 10:53 PM

Having it repaired would be the best option especially considering your son could use it for his photography. It is cheaper than buying another second hand camera and you obviously know the camera's full history and number of shutter actuation's etc.

mikesavage
    mikesavage  12234 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Mar 2014 - 1:33 AM

Definitely get it repaired!

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    12 Mar 2014 - 8:33 AM

Make sure you have a quote, and not an estimate.
    A quote is a firm fixed price - an estimate is subject no no unexpected issues during the repair.
    I recently had an issue with a Nikon F6 which went to a Nikon authorised repairer who gave a good estimate. They ignored the obvious fault and increased the price to over 500.
    After some "arty-bargy" I got the F6 back. I sent it to Nikon who did the repair for 88 plus VAT. This confirmed even a "reputable repairer" does not always get things right.

The price of a second hand D90 with warranty from Ffordes is 220-280 depending on condition.
    Unless tha camera has great sentimental value I do not think it is worth paying more than 125 for a repair.
    A new Nikon body comes with a 2 year warranty and far superior specification but costs more money than the quote/estimate.

MoonMind
    16 Mar 2014 - 5:13 PM

I'd say repair it. In spite of its age, the D90 is a solid and useful camera (except for video work - a non-issue for me). Even though I mostly use my Olympus MFT cameras nowadays, the D90 is still my go-to camera for indoor (read: people indoors) work if it involves flash and/or difficult lighting conditions as long as it isn't meant to print (too) big. Besides, it being an "old-fashioned" body, you've got access to more lenses than on a new entry-level camera, and the sensor is still good for very pleasing results when used with care and consideration, so I can still use my '90s AF(-D) goodies. Of course, if you don't need that kind of versatility, there are a lot less reasons to have it repaired ...

M.

MorrisS
    1 Apr 2014 - 5:47 PM

Id go for it, worth having the spare if nothing else.
    Will find different cam for different occasions. Or at least i did.
    I ended up using this camera repair site, after was recommended by another member on here and was fine Smile

brokenlenses

HAVE IT REPAIRED. I owned one and made the mistake of selling it. I regret it. I think it was the first really great affordable Digital Camera. (That will start an argument) but I do think it wll be one of the few collectable Digital Cameras in years to come. You only have to say D90 to photographers and everyone has positive comments about it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.