Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it worth using eBay to sell anymore??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

THIRDEYE
THIRDEYE  735 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 5:50 PM

Hi All,

Just thought I'd ask the question as I have recently sold a piece of equipment on eBay for 215, well pleased with that I thought !
Unfortunately by the time eBay and PayPal had dipped their fingers in the pie I was left with just 152 !!

"Yes" but they have overheads I hear you shout! I fully understand that, but I do feel that the seller gets a raw deal at the end of the process Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Nov 2012 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 5:55 PM

20% (inc VAT) is about the norm in 'proper' auction houses and it usually about the same for eBay+PayPal.... a little less I would say - maybe 18%.

It seems you've had a total af around 30% deducted........... how has that come about?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 6:42 PM

If it's camera kit you're selling try our classifieds. Charge? As an e2 member - zero percent. So your 29 fee would have been more than covered twice Smile

thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 6:44 PM

Ebay is usually faster than other methods of selling and it's easy. Also, the highly skilled vendors seem to get high prices.

THIRDEYE
THIRDEYE  735 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 6:45 PM

Thanks Pete, That's a definite "yes" for any future sales of camera kit.

lawbert
lawbert  71694 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 6:59 PM

I would say its probably not worth using Ebay,

I did try the epz classifieds to no avail on a couple of items (I have put up a wanted ad and had great success on a Canon remote 10m cable though)Smile

Mpb Photographic are a pretty good way to sell...I sold a 50d and Sigma 120-300 to them last week and was surprised at what they offered having taken into account Ebay Fees and Paypal and thier offer was pretty close to what I expected to get for them....They sent a courier to collect at a time to suit me and then paid me promptly....They will make a fair quid out of my kit but thier service was very good indeed.

User_Removed
23 Nov 2012 - 7:30 PM

I will support that comment re MPB Photographic...

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 7:47 PM

I always thought selling on Ebay and using Paypal cost a little over 10%. I appreciate the seller and buyer protection features, and have benefited by them on several ocassions. However you sell or buy, I would advise checking out how your interests are protected first.

thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 8:13 PM

Ebay want the site to be a safe environment for buyers. They're less interested in the welfare of sellers. One example is that a seller isn't able to leave negative feedback for a "buyer" who messes around or doesn't pay.

StrayCat
23 Nov 2012 - 8:23 PM

There are many legitimate businesses on ebay that can easily be ruined by people who just want to see that happen. As a buyer, I have had several bad deals handled overnight, or quicker, by Ebay's support service.

I had one buyer send me an email after he received a mint legacy lens from me saying he was going to tell ebay it wasn't mint if I didn't refund him a portion of what I paid him. I just sent his email to ebay support, and that was that.Smile

saxon_image
23 Nov 2012 - 9:42 PM

I recently sold a couple of lenses and tried several of the well known second hand photo dealers, having bought from them in the past. By far the best price was offered by Peter Walnes - certainly as much as I would have expected to get after eBay and PayPal commission, and a cheque by return. A very efficient and personal service whether buying or selling.

thewilliam
23 Nov 2012 - 9:50 PM

I once had a buyer tell me that I'd sold him a lens that was full of haze and fungus and backed up his claim with "pictures" that he'd taken. My reply was to offer him a full refund of all that he'd paid me if he returned it. About a week later he told me me that a friend who "worked in a camera shop" had been able to "clean it" and he wanted me to pay the bill. In reply, I reminded him of my earlier offer of a return for a refund but now that he'd had work done by a repairer that wasn't Leica approved, there wouldn't be a refund, either partial or full. That was the last I heard about it.

It's essential for a seller to use pictures of the item for sale and to never use library images. In my pictures of the lens in question, it was obvious that the glass was clear.

Some unscrupulous buyers do try feedback extortion when the vendor has 100% positive feedback. One colleague was troubled by a buyer who'd dropped the lens and claimed that it had been delivered in that state. Physical damage to a lens barrel doesn't happen in transit and the pic showed a pristine lens so the matter ended happily for my colleague.

It's caveat vendor as well as caveat emptor!

That said, I've dealt with some delightful people on Ebay.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 23 Nov 2012 - 9:51 PM
edrhodes
edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'll vouch for EPZ classifieds, used it many times.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

I'm still curious as to why Gary only got about 70% (net) of his gross eBay sale. Sounds low to me.

StrayCat
23 Nov 2012 - 11:07 PM

I wonder was it a currency exchange loss?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.