Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it worth using eBay to sell anymore??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014482 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 3:58 AM

You can talk yourself into, or out of, almost anything if your determined.Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Nov 2012 - 3:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13320 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 8:19 PM

There must be some mistake with the amount or else the listing included a lot of extras (i.e. Reserve Price, lots of photos etc). I recently sold a lens for £225 and received £217.85 from PayPal and then had to pay £22.49 + £0.38 in Ebay fees. Total fees about 15%, well worth it.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
26 Nov 2012 - 3:25 AM

I sold a Sigma lens a while back and got shafted £70 in fees because I set a reserve.
Will never sell big ticket items on there again.

lemmy
lemmy  71769 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 - 12:47 PM

Quote: I sold a Sigma lens a while back and got shafted £70 in fees because I set a reserve.

It does tell you what the fees are for a reserve so you weren't really shafted. Shafted implies that you were treated dishonestly. All the fees are listed clearly.

I don't hold any brief for eBay but I've sold many lenses and cameras there and never found it necessary to put on a reserve. If the item is in demand it will sell at a fair price. If it's not and you put on a too high reserve you just won't sell it, wasting your time and money.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13320 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 1:26 PM

Quote: I don't hold any brief for eBay but I've sold many lenses and cameras there and never found it necessary to put on a reserve. If the item is in demand it will sell at a fair price. If it's not and you put on a too high reserve you just won't sell it, wasting your time and money.

You can also set a higher starting price, at very little additional cost, if you think there is a risk of the item going for less than you're willing to sell for.

lemmy
26 Nov 2012 - 2:13 PM

Quote: You can also set a higher starting price, at very little additional cost, if you think there is a risk of the item going for less than you're willing to sell for.

Yes, a better ploy.

I prefer not to use it simply because I believe it may put people off thinking they will get a bargain. But that's just a thought of mine, I don't have any evidence and I have used the higher starting price.

User_Removed
26 Nov 2012 - 3:07 PM

I start everything at 99p, even items worth hundreds, it gets the dreamers bidding and some keep bidding. Some people list auctions in price order. It's much cheaper, sometimes free to start low.

Doesn't matter what something cost it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it now. The bidders decide. So long as you do it justice with good photos and description and sell at the right time what they pay is what it was worth.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 3:18 PM

Quote: I start everything at 99p, even items worth hundreds, it gets the dreamers bidding and some keep bidding. Some people list auctions in price order. It's much cheaper, sometimes free to start low.

It's certainly a good way to work, and does often generate at least what you were hoping for and sometimes more, but it does depend on who's watching, so running for 10 days with this strategy maximises your chance of a better price. It's the fun way for those who don't mind a gamble.

I always used to list stuff at 99p and it's fun to watch it rise, but I once listed a Mac G3 for 99p which had cost me £1500 and 99p is all I got. The memory inside could have been removed and sold for more.

I'd suggest you make sure the title is very descriptive, and the description goes into great detail so the watchers are sure what they may be bidding on. I've seen some real crap go for silly amounts because it's been dressed up in description to make it sound brilliant, without lying. Classic was a really old preset lens with a 2x and 3x converter that was sold as a lens with an incredible wildlife range. And he listed all the focal lengths and the magnifications available from the combo. No mention of the dreadful quality.

The safer route - ebay seem to have a policy at the moment that lets you list for free every alternate weekend (Check the news link on a Friday evening). That way you can start at a high price without costs. You often don't sell the item but at some point, providing you're not too high someone will see it when it's been relisted a few times.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 5:56 PM

Me and my other half have a top rated ebay shop and would say that Ebay is no different to Google in a lot of ways if you are going to sell on it then it has its own set of rules, its own form of SEO, and all the old adages about having a good image and good description are very true, we sell things often for three times the price of another ebayer for exactly the same item. Thats simply just good business and making a profit.

The fees by the way for selling electronics are actually less too so not sure on the original point but those fees are way out , unless you have added a reserve and used loads of photos ? ,

easy tips ,

dont pay for photos do a collage of one big shot around 1600 pixels in photoshop and just use the free photo insert !
wait for the free listing weekends to come then get stuff on at once.
make sure your postage is exact or lower than exact and add the price to the goods to get your listing higher. don't inflate your postage to cover packing etc
Aim to get your top rated seller status asap , all the rules are on ebay , this makes a difference to how high your listings are
makes sure the title is descriptive but not full of words people would not search for '
ie -
this is wrong - Canon Lens 70-200 in white in great condition low price must go
this is right - Fantastic Canon 70-200 F4L Professional Telephoto Lens EF Mount with IS

the second description aims to capture more of the words people type when searching whilst the first is a more currys sale type approach with 9 words which wouldn't be searched for and would be deemed irrelevant and give you a lower ranking even in a search for Canon 70-200

hope this helps !

Andy

thewilliam
26 Nov 2012 - 7:56 PM

I've only had one bad experience as an eBay buyer. A few weeks back, I "won" a lens for a lot less than it was really worth, paid promptly and heard nothing for about a week. Then I had an email saying that the lens was no longer available and my money was refunded. As you can imagine, I left him some pretty brutal feedback. The vendor had the affrontery to complain about the feedback and threatened to "report me to eBay".

A seller's feedback record is all important: something I make a point of checking if it's less than 100%. It's easy enough to call up a list containing just the negative comments.

Good communication with the other party is vital: like emailing a "thank you" within hours of getting paid and warning the buyer if there's likely to be a delay in sending out the goods.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM

Quote: easy tips ,

dont pay for photos do a collage of one big shot around 1600 pixels in photoshop and just use the free photo insert !

Another way is to use an image hosting site such as jpegbay. You can have as many images as you want on your eBay listing. And it's free. It's dead easy to use and really makes a big difference to a listing.

I hope none of you encounter the ba**ard I did with my last listing. He won the auction and so I invoiced him for payment. He immediately wrote back and said, "I don't want the item. I withdraw my bid". Now I am faced with the hassle of going through 8 days of a non-payment case to get my eBay fees back which were substantial because the item sold for just over £1,000. Whilst going through the non-payment case I can't re-list or make a second chance offer so I may have to start all over again. Selling on eBay can be a real trial at times. Sorry about the mis-placed grump. Sad

lemmy
26 Nov 2012 - 8:25 PM

Quote: Selling on eBay can be a real trial at times. Sorry about the mis-placed grump.

I had a guy whose son had bid on a lens I was selling without telling his father - but through his father's account. I had to go through the disputes procedure which was a nuisance. And, of course, the father had a complaint against him on the system as a result. He understood why, though.

A nuisance but not enough to wipe out the large number of good trades I've had - but a moan is necessary sometimes!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 9:05 PM

I feel almost guilty............... having had a completely trouble-free 8 years buying and selling on eBay, including selling 4-figure items! Wink

dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 10:10 PM

I had a buyer pull out after winning a lens I was selling - i eventually got the sellers fees back but I was unable to leave him any negative feedback (because he was a buyer, not a seller). eBay wouldn't tell me what action they took against him - I doubt they took any.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Nov 2012 - 10:47 PM

Be aware as well then that is all money finance and commerce based ( yes really ! ) , and the whole point of ebay is too make money , them , you , everyone. They will therefore take sides / not take sides or appear to take sides and not really depending how it fits them , the rules and regs will also be changed at the drop of a hat to make sure ebay / paypal ( same company ) make the biggest profit they can , be under NO illusion that they care about anything other than making money , as they dont , and neither should you , or you really may as well not bother. The only way to beat them is to join them !

Once you do start making money with ebay and get your head round it all then it becomes all the more obvious and they do actually look after you without realizing it as you work out the way the system works and how to utilize it to your own advantage.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.