Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is it worth using eBay to sell anymore??

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2012 2:31PM

Quote:utilize it to your own advantage.

Echoes of Lord Sugar there Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
27 Nov 2012 2:42PM

Quote:Echoes of Lord Sugar there

Nobody echoes me, sunshine. You're fired! Grin
27 Nov 2012 2:53PM
Sugar ain't so sweet! Grin
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2012 10:41PM

Quote:utilize it to your own advantage.
Echoes of Lord Sugar there Wink

I wish !

Although i still wouldn't be seen dead with an Amstrad Wink
Dan_Scape 2 4 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2012 2:16PM
I think it's the price you pay with eBay to get the seller protection they offer and the number of potential buyers they offer. It's frustrating to pay the current fee percentage mostly as i remember using eBay when they only took something like 5%.

Being honest when selling more valuable lenses and equipment in the past I have listed on eBay but dealt with local buyers offline in order to save on the fees. This does add risk but if dealing face to face you don't send any goods without receiving the money, I also met a like minded photographer who was purchasing the equipment as a bonus. Grin
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 11:42AM

Quote:I start everything at 99p, even items worth hundreds, it gets the dreamers bidding and some keep bidding
I'm having a January clearout and started loads of stuff at 1p! Risky but saves on listing fees and generates interest.

You do feel a bit nervy early days when the prices are low and you do get funny things. The first person who bid on those glasses must have put 5p as his maximum bid as someone had to bid at least 6p to outbid him. Fingers crossed they go for a bit more!

Below is the report ebay shows me about the stuff I'm selling. Even though some items don't have bids they do have watchers which reinforces the views earlier in this topic that a lot of people wait as late as possible before "showing their hand".

23-01-2013-11-30-42.jpg

23 Jan 2013 12:49PM
I've just sold 5 items including a mobile phone and a 14-42mm kit lens for Panasonic, all at very good prices.

It was funny with the 14-42, I bought a Panasonic G3 on a special deal from PC World, very cheap, as they do sometimes, cheaper than web prices. It came with a kit lens which I didn't want but the camera was cheaper with the lens that other places were selling it without.

I took the G3 out of the box when I got home and that was that. Roll on a year and a bit and I'm buying a GH3, so thought I'd keep the GH2 and eBay the G3 to go towards the new body. Go to the loft to get the box and when I open it up - what's this? - oh yes, it came with the kit lens. There it is still wrapped, untouched and forgotten.

On eBay, 7 days later it has gone to a buyer in Bulgaria for £82 plus postage. You can buy a new one at SRS for £79!
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 2:13PM
I do the same Chris, when selling;
start a 1p and wait nervously until the last day of auction, when the bids start showing serious interest, often as lemmy mentions, selling more than retail, and genearally more than expected.
I tried to sell a road race bicycle 5 years ago, and put in a start price at £100 less than I wanted, and it didn't get any interest whatsoever.
I re-auctioned starting at 99p, and ended getting£100 more than I expected.......
Nowt as strange as folk... Smile
23 Jan 2013 2:29PM

Quote:I re-auctioned starting at 99p, and ended getting£100 more than I expected....... Nowt as strange as folk...

I think the thought is that if it starts at a high price, you know it won't be a real bargain no matter what happens. But if it starts at 99p it just might be a bargain and it captures people's attention. Then they may get caught up in the bidding once they are in the chase, whereas in the high start price scenario, they just butt out.

A high start price obviously gets fewer bids and goves the imprssion that there is little interest. Low price, lots of bids...hey, the chase on!

It's just human psychology at work.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
23 Jan 2013 7:05PM
I confine my sales to Canada and the US, and offer free shipping. I usually put a min price on the product, and a buy it now price. I have only had to relist a couple items.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
19 Mar 2013 9:57PM
Anyone noticed that they get more watchers these days and then no bidders at the end?

Also I seem to get people asking to check things out, send extra photos, go running around and then they come no where near.

It seems eBay is becoming the place for window shoppers and what the trade call tire kickers.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
19 Mar 2013 10:05PM

Quote:Anyone noticed that they get more watchers these days and then no bidders at the end?

I've never failed to sell anything, in over 8 years of using eBay. Smile

Prices have been pretty good too - remarkably so sometimes.
19 Mar 2013 10:10PM

Quote:Also I seem to get people asking to check things out, send extra photos, go running around and then they come no where near.

Yes, I've noticed that. Bizarre.

I remember once when I was in a car dealer where I'd bought cars. They had a petrol station as well and this guy came in and asked the biggest engine that they did for this car. The dealer said, 2.5 litres and the bloke said, "nah, too small for me" and walked out. The salesman laughed and remarked that the 2.5 litre wouldn't go far on the £5 worth of fuel he'd just put in his jalopy. Dreamers, I guess.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
19 Mar 2013 10:12PM
Charity shops now watch Ebay prices to value and put a price on items they want to sell.

The days of finding Olympus 35SP`s for £3.99 are long gone Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
19 Mar 2013 10:15PM

Quote:Charity shops now watch Ebay

Oh they go further than that - they actually use eBay for some of the stuff brought into the shops. This was discussed on TV a year or two ago.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.