Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is it worth using eBay to sell anymore??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 12:38 PM

I've had one person not pay - he was very apologetic and explained fully (and reasonably convincingly Wink) why he was no longer able to afford the expensive item, and he sent his apology to eBay as well. I used the Second Chance facility and got only a fraction less than the highest bid. So all ended well.

As for fees, the combined eBay/PayPal fees work out to around 13.5% if you don't go mad on the initial insertion fees! (I.e. using the various extras). This compares favourably with a minimum of 20% in a 'proper' auction house, once VAT is added to those fees.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 20 Mar 2013 - 12:40 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Mar 2013 - 12:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 12:52 PM

The only real issue I have ever had with eBay is a buyer who, once he won the auction, refused to pay because he said the item wasn't worth the final selling price! I pointed out to him that nobody had forced him to bid that much but he wouldn't budge. When I tried to leave negative feedback I found that sellers are not allowed to leave -ve feedback about buyers, no idea why.

lemmy
lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 - 12:54 PM

Quote: When I tried to leave negative feedback I found that sellers are not allowed to leave -ve feedback about buyers, no idea why

Yes, odd that. If you go into the dispute procedure they get a black mark, I believe.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 12:54 PM

I hope you reported him to eBay, Ian. Although your can't (these days) leave negative feedback for a buyer, as such, there is a means on the feedback page for doing that.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 1:46 PM

I did report him but have no idea whether anything happened.

Carabosse
20 Mar 2013 - 1:57 PM

It may be he will find himself blocked from bidding, on some sellers goods. I use all the blocking means available, on eBay, to try and ensure bad payers can't even bid on my stuff.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014919 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 5:22 PM

If you think about it, one's online business could easily be ruined by one vengeful person if they allowed any negative feedback. The way it works is what Lemmy said, report it, and their score is dropped. I sold a flawless lens to a person one time, and when they received it, they emailed me and said it wasn't what I had described and they wanted a partial refund, or they'd give negative feedback. I sent a copy of the email in to ebay and was told they had handled it.

thewilliam
20 Mar 2013 - 5:40 PM

There are a few good practices that can avoid a lot of potential problems.

Always use a photograph of the item rather than a stock pic and preferably choose a viewpoint that shows any cosmetic defects or its perfect condition. One colleague was sure that the buyer had dropped the lens but couldn't prove it so had to take back a broken item and give a refund.

Some vendors state the serial number of the item so that a buyer can't do a swap. I had a buyer claim that a lens had balsam separation and sent me a pic as "proof". Leica enlarging lenses have the serial number on the side so that a straight through shot could easily be another lens. I offered a full refund on safe return which caused the buyer to back down.

Ebay quite rightly deal harshly with feedback extortion. Just use commonsense and all should be well.

hollkj
hollkj e2 Member 9186 forum postshollkj vcard United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 1:22 PM

In January I picked up a mint+ Canon 1DX and genuine spare battery for 1000 less than the current best price for the body alone. The camera was less than 2 months old (had genuine receipt from reputable UK camera shop), with very few actuations and everything in the box still sealed. It was basically a new camera. Take off seller and paypal fees and the seller wouldn't have been left with much from his original 5000+ purchase.

The lesson learnt here is to try and take potential buyers habits in to account. This auction was listed to finish new years day with no reserve. So it was a bad time to sell (most people are broke that time of year), a bad day to finish on (a lot of buyers sleeping off the night before) and he had no protection against what actually happened. I was the only bidder and got it for the starting price Smile

Kevin.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Mar 2013 - 12:34 PM

I've never had any problems selling expensive kit in the past, and have always used a starting price of 99p without reserve, because that keeps the listing cost down and attracts more bids. I have become rather disillusioned with the company however so am a bit reluctant to give them any more business.

I am likely to have a heap of Canon kit to sell shortly (seriously thinking of downsizing everything to MFM) so unless I can get decent prices for my L lenses elsewhere I may have to go with the tries and tested Ebay route again.

The reason Ebay stopped sellers leaving neg FB is because lots of crap sellers automatically negged any buyer who justifiably left them one. They really should have gone the whole hog and just got of buyers feedback all together because it is as much use as a chocolate teapot in its current form.

Carabosse
22 Mar 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: have always used a starting price of 99p without reserve

Me too - including for items which eventually sold for 4-figure sums (in pounds!)

Quote: seriously thinking of downsizing everything to MFM

MFT.......... M4/3? Smile

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Mar 2013 - 2:18 PM

Yes, bit of a typo there. Already have an Oly E-P3 with 12mm, 17mm and 45mm prime lenses and I really like the look of the OM-D.

If I went the whole hog, I could sell my 7D with grip + 100mm macro, 70-200 f2.8 (non IS), 400 f5.6, 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 L lenses. This would leave me plenty of cash to add a 60mm macro, and lots of other goodies, including a long zoom although I'm hoping there will be something going up to 250/300 mm at f4 sometime down the line as current options are rather slow.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2013 - 2:39 PM

There has been talk of an Olympus 12-40 f2.8 being on the way, something a bit longer could be in the pipeline as well, possibly a 40-150 f2.8.

And I understand there is going to be a Pany 150mm prime as well.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 22 Mar 2013 - 2:40 PM
Canonshots
23 Mar 2013 - 8:44 AM

Quote: Ebay want the site to be a safe environment for buyers. They're less interested in the welfare of sellers. One example is that a seller isn't able to leave negative feedback for a "buyer" who messes around or doesn't pay.

If a buyer doesn't pay there are other means of redress provided by eBay. The seller can raise an item not paid case, which puts pressure on the buyer. He can exclude that buyer from bidding on his items in future, and where there is more than one bidder, a second chance option is provided.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123987 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2013 - 10:37 AM

The old saying "Nowt so gueer as Fowk" especially apply to Ebay; about 99.5% of transactions seem to go through without a hitch assuming you can stand the 15% or so total charges inc. Paypal & P&P.

I am reminded of a sale of my Canon 1DS MkII, the buyer rang (how he got my phone number is immaterial) me on delivery of the camera incandescent with rage accusing me of servicing the camera myself ..... lol; in fact a tiny screw had fallen out of the camera which occasionally happens especially if a camera is subject to any vibration; OK, I said send it back; when I examined the packaging minutely the screw had fallen out in transit; I screwed it straight back in, relisted the camera and it went for 300+ more than the original buyer paid for it.

So if you are on epz and recognise yourself it is often best to keep emotion out of business, it clouds the thinking; far better to let emotion run rampant in epz forums; at least there it is harmless.

Peter.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.