Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

is my D200 broken?

stolzy 9 3.8k 7
21 Sep 2007 9:02PM
I spent my afternoon having a massive car crash resulting in the total destruction of my beautiful BMW Z4.
However, more importantly, my D200 (which was in the boot) has been slightly doused in red wine (also in the boot) and now has the error 'fEE' when AF lenses are mounted (even when they are set to min aperture). With 'G' lenses it seems to work fine.
In two weeks I'm off to Namibia and need a reliable camera - anybody have suggestions?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
21 Sep 2007 9:45PM
Is it all AF lenses?
I got that fault showing after I dropped and cracked the barrel of my 70-300 lens.......it was the lens not the camera at fault
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
21 Sep 2007 11:02PM
Try cleaning all the contacts on the lens or check them for damage - think the G and AF lenses use different contacts...
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Sep 2007 11:14PM
...or call Nikon perhaps? Wink
cambirder 10 7.2k England
21 Sep 2007 11:39PM
Its either broken or drunk.

I would get it checked out pronto, even if it sobers up, it may fail again on the first day of the holiday.
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
21 Sep 2007 11:45PM

Quote:I've tried three AF lenses and two 'G' lenses

Quote:...or call Nikon perhaps?
I think they will just say to send it in to be checked - knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeks
Thanks for the input
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2007 12:43AM
Firstly: Glad to hear you are in one piece.

Hope you also have insuranace for the camera. Probably safest to send it back to Nikon for a quality check, as the last thing you would want is to get there and find it stops working. Suggest you try and rent a D200 for the 2 weeks on holiday.

Mike
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
22 Sep 2007 8:24AM

Quote:knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeks

Sent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body Wink
csurry 12 9.2k 92
22 Sep 2007 11:35AM

Quote:Quote:knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeksSent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body

If you're lucky - or they may just sit on it for 2 months like they did with my D2X Sad Waiting for a part.

Unfortunately my error was very similar to the posters, all AF lenses stopped working. Though mine powered up and I did not get an error, it just showed a dead battery every so often and the lens would not focus.

I was recently faced with a similar dilemma just before going on holiday. My decision rather than miss opportunities was to get a new camera on 12 months interest free. Have since sold serviced camera and now have a nice new one to play with. Plus more than half the money required to pay off the new one sitting earning some interest.

Financially not the most sound investment I know, but faced with the waste of a significant amount of money in the holiday and travelling it seemed worthwhile. (Cost oh holiday [spec. photographic in nature] less than difference between money received for old and owed for new camera)

Just a thought - I know that option isn't open to everyone.
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
22 Sep 2007 12:09PM

Quote:Sent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body

In my case that would be a triumph of hope over experience. Last time I sent my 70-200/2.8 for a repair it took 3 weeks for nothing to happen - when I chased them it hadn't even been tested.
I think my only choice is to get another body, in any case, I can't do anything with it until the insurance have examined it and I need a camera for the trip. Just need to talk myself out of a D300.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.