Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is my D200 broken?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    stolzy
    stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2007 - 9:02 PM

I spent my afternoon having a massive car crash resulting in the total destruction of my beautiful BMW Z4.
    However, more importantly, my D200 (which was in the boot) has been slightly doused in red wine (also in the boot) and now has the error 'fEE' when AF lenses are mounted (even when they are set to min aperture). With 'G' lenses it seems to work fine.
    In two weeks I'm off to Namibia and need a reliable camera - anybody have suggestions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Sep 2007 - 9:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
    kaybee  103770 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2007 - 9:45 PM

Is it all AF lenses?
    I got that fault showing after I dropped and cracked the barrel of my 70-300 lens.......it was the lens not the camera at fault

scottishphototours

Try cleaning all the contacts on the lens or check them for damage - think the G and AF lenses use different contacts...

User_Removed
    21 Sep 2007 - 11:14 PM

...or call Nikon perhaps? Wink

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    21 Sep 2007 - 11:39 PM

Its either broken or drunk.

I would get it checked out pronto, even if it sobers up, it may fail again on the first day of the holiday.

stolzy
    21 Sep 2007 - 11:45 PM

Quote: I've tried three AF lenses and two 'G' lenses

Quote: ...or call Nikon perhaps?

I think they will just say to send it in to be checked - knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeks
    Thanks for the input

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2007 - 12:43 AM

Firstly: Glad to hear you are in one piece.

Hope you also have insuranace for the camera. Probably safest to send it back to Nikon for a quality check, as the last thing you would want is to get there and find it stops working. Suggest you try and rent a D200 for the 2 weeks on holiday.

Mike

User_Removed
    22 Sep 2007 - 8:24 AM

Quote: knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeks

Sent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body Wink

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2007 - 11:35 AM

Quote: Quote:knowing Nikon this is likely to take weeksSent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body

If you're lucky - or they may just sit on it for 2 months like they did with my D2X Sad Waiting for a part.

Unfortunately my error was very similar to the posters, all AF lenses stopped working. Though mine powered up and I did not get an error, it just showed a dead battery every so often and the lens would not focus.

I was recently faced with a similar dilemma just before going on holiday. My decision rather than miss opportunities was to get a new camera on 12 months interest free. Have since sold serviced camera and now have a nice new one to play with. Plus more than half the money required to pay off the new one sitting earning some interest.

Financially not the most sound investment I know, but faced with the waste of a significant amount of money in the holiday and travelling it seemed worthwhile. (Cost oh holiday [spec. photographic in nature] less than difference between money received for old and owed for new camera)

Just a thought - I know that option isn't open to everyone.

stolzy
    22 Sep 2007 - 12:09 PM

Quote: Sent you a PM John. If you've registered the body at Nikon, they turn it round in 10 days - 5 if you have a second pro-level body

In my case that would be a triumph of hope over experience. Last time I sent my 70-200/2.8 for a repair it took 3 weeks for nothing to happen - when I chased them it hadn't even been tested.
    I think my only choice is to get another body, in any case, I can't do anything with it until the insurance have examined it and I need a camera for the trip. Just need to talk myself out of a D300.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.