Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is my machine ready for the retiral home?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    silver_stoat
    28 Jul 2012 - 9:04 PM

Current Mainboard & operating system:
    Mainboard Asus P5L-VM 1394
    Intel 6420 core 2, 2.13ghz cpu
    4 GB ddr2 PC6400 Ram
    250gb Sata Hd (system disk)
    1 tb Sata 2nd physical hd
    Gfx card Nvidia Geforce 210
    Win 7 64 bit.

I wonder if I can ask some of you guys how long it takes your desktop pc's to cold boot from as soon as the P.O.S.T screen shows until you get Win7 appearing on screen and usable. Also how long should it take from Clicking the IE9 icon to the browser displaying whatever your default homepage is.

From the moment I switch the desktop on it takes 1 min 55 seconds to reach the Win 7 desktop, clicking on my IE9 icon it takes 35 seconds to load and Google (my preferred homepage) to display and become useable. Once IE 9 is running it is fine, a broadband speed check at Namesco shows a ping of 44 and download speed 14373kbps. So my guess is it is the actual IE9 program that is slow in loading and not the internet connection, Google Chrome is about the same load times.
    I have in my Startup via msconfig just my Avast internet security ticked, other stuff unticked I can do without. Have tried clearing all temp files/temp internet files etc etc, doesn't speed up any.

I don't know if it is me becoming paranoid Sad is my machine just showing it's age and getting a bit past it? (see above specs) I was going to add more ram as I thought 64 bit windows should be ok but have since discovered my mainboard (type above) will not accept any more than 4 gb.

I don't play games on it, mainly internet, PP photos in either Lightroom 3.6 or Elements 9.
    Maybe time for another Mainboard+cpu do you think?, at least I could use the 2 HD's and gfx card again

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Jul 2012 - 9:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jul 2012 - 9:47 PM

Check the start up entries in the registry also as not all prograpms that start up at boot are listed in msconfig.

My PC is:

Mainboard Model:..... MSI 870A-G46
    CPU:...................... AMD Phenom II X4 965. with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    RAM:...................... 16GB - Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card:......... ATI Radeon HD 3850. 256MB
    Audio:.................... Creative Audigy 2
    OS:........................ Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1
    OS/Apps Hard Disk... 250GB
    Data HDD............... 1tB

My PC power on to home page time is 38 seconds but the boot time is not really that important is it?

More important surely is how long it takes to perform tasks in the programs you use most. For example on my computer & when using photoshop if I use the spherise filter @ 100% on a 100mb image it takes 3.7 seconds.

MrGoatsmilk
    28 Jul 2012 - 9:57 PM

Sometimes it worth backing up everything you need to keep to another drive or discs, then formatting the drive and doing a complete reinstall before you decide to buy another. Will run like new again.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114499 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2012 - 10:13 PM

Try downloading and running CCleaner, you'd be surprised at the amount of junk and temporary files that can find and sort out for you. Free to use and download from here: CCLEANER

Recommended......Ade

KeithCullis
    28 Jul 2012 - 11:09 PM

As Ade says use ccleaner (use both file & reg cleaner elements, also run full scans with spybot sd, malwarebytes & eset online scanner, you have probably got some mail/spyware slowing things down as well

This is also a very good tool, you'll be suprised how much crap this can get rid of on a pc Grin http://addpcs.com/software/tfc/

Jestertheclown
    29 Jul 2012 - 12:16 AM

Another vote for CCleaner, although I never bother with the reg. cleaner. Also Malwarebytes, that seems to shift just about anything.

I thought that ESET and Nod32 were a thing of the past though and I've never heard of addpcs.

KeithCullis
    29 Jul 2012 - 2:04 AM

Temp cleaner by addpc is good at giving a deep clean of old restore points that are redundant as well as temp files that cleaner doesn't scan for.

MeanGreeny
    29 Jul 2012 - 2:09 AM

Why not just make a list of your installed programs, rationalise down to what you actually use and do a clean install?

Consider making the 250GB a data disk and installing a 64-128GB SSD as a boot drive - my Win 7 boots in 25 secs or so - and it's got a fair bit of rubbish on it.

It might take an hour or so to install the MS updates but you can always do something else at the same time [coffee and a book] and your boot and launch times will easily halve or better. The SSD installs stuff much quicker and the reboots just fly.

Once you've patched up and installed your fave progs then spend 30 on a spare low capacity hard drive to clone the SSD boot disk to - that way a future clean reinstall from the HD back to the SSD takes just minutes. It also gives you a backup boot drive if the SSD should ever fail. I suppose you could use the 250GB as the clone but it's a waste of 200GB of space.

Ccleaner seems to be a favourite on here but the net is full of people who have regretted giving it free rein to do what it likes in their registry. Use at risk and with a thorough and specific knowledge of what is OK to delete - and what is not. If in doubt, do not delete stuff in ignorance.

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 29 Jul 2012 - 2:11 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2012 - 6:05 AM

Quote:
    From the moment I switch the desktop on it takes 1 min 55 seconds to reach the Win 7 desktop, clicking on my IE9 icon it takes 35 seconds to load and Google (my preferred homepage) to display and become useable. Once IE 9 is running it is fine, a broadband speed check at Namesco shows a ping of 44 and download speed 14373kbps. So my guess is it is the actual IE9 program that is slow in loading and not the internet connection, Google Chrome is about the same load times.

Replace the 250 system drive with a 250 SSD drive and things will improve no end.

silver_stoat
    29 Jul 2012 - 10:06 AM

THanks guys, ran Ccleaner ,spybot and malware bytes I already had installed, cleaned registry but still same times. I'm going to have to read up on SSD drives, I don't know much about them.

Cheers

MeanGreeny
    29 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

No real need to spend all the pennies on a 250GB SSD when it's only going to have less than 100GB of system files - unless you're a gamer as well.

In which case take a look at the Samsung 830 256GB or the Crucial M4 256GB for around the 150 mark for boot drives. They're an absolute steal at that price.

Look at your install size after installing your new, 'clean' boot disk and then add a bit for comfort [a good 30%+]. The 128GB versions of the above are also incredible value at around the 80 mark.

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 29 Jul 2012 - 5:02 PM
    User_Removed
    30 Jul 2012 - 7:42 AM

Quote: No real need to spend all the pennies on a 250GB SSD when it's only going to have less than 100GB of system files - unless you're a gamer as well

I would actually urge you to go for the biggest SSD boot drive that you can afford, gamer or not. System folders like App Data, Program Files and Windows can soon fill up.

Quote: Look at your install size after installing your new, 'clean' boot disk and then add a bit for comfort [a good 30%+]

In my experience once you start installing an using a few heavyweight Programs you soon run out of space with that sort of headroom. Photoshop and other programs will use your boot disc for temp files and scratch which is fantastic if it's an SSD but no good if it hasn't got decent spare capacity.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2012 - 7:54 AM

Quote: I would actually urge you to go for the biggest SSD boot drive that you can afford, gamer or not. System folders like App Data, Program Files and Windows can soon fill up.

Me too, I have my lightroom catalogs, cache & all my working files on the SSD as well as all the system and program files. It means Lightroom really flies.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.