Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is Paper Dead?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014684 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2014 - 9:12 PM

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2014 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
29 Jan 2014 - 10:12 PM

Discuss ....

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110236 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2014 - 11:14 PM

you can't wipe your bum on pixels, so for me, no - paper is not dead! Grin

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2014 - 7:11 AM

Yes
I tried feeding some, getting it to move away from a hostile flame.
Pretty useless at reproducing etc... Finally gave up and declared it dead

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 10:58 AM

Paper is not dead, I doubt it will ever die either.

Reasons are many, One of which Brian has already mentioned, Many moons ago I was involved with an outfit that was going all computerised, They where spending several hundred thousand quid on the whole show too, The goons at the top declared this will mean a " Paper Free " environment...Grin

Well it did not see a paper free environment, In short the stupidly expensive operation would have failed completely, But for the addition of some note pads & pencils, That I might add cost just a few quid by comparison, When I say it would have failed, I mean dangerously failed, Even now several generations of multi thousands of bucks worth of upgrades, There is still a need for the note pads & pencils.....Grin Smile Wink

When you have no power supply, When the batteries are flat, It is night so no solar devices, All the fancy gadgets in the world become nothing more than land fill.

So keep a note pad and pencil handy, While your at it have a few trained pigeons around to, Then it will mean business as usual despite the post apocalyptic situation.

Well almost...!!!

MikeA
MikeA  91168 forum posts England
30 Jan 2014 - 11:00 AM

Is paper dead..........10yrs on................ is paper dead................10yrs on.................. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wink

Last Modified By MikeA at 30 Jan 2014 - 11:01 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 2:40 PM

It might not be dead but it dosn't have anywhere near the importance it used to have.

A conversation with my mum yesterday:
Me: I'm working from home
Mum: Oh don't they mind
Me: Nope - I get more done
Mum: But arn't there things you need in filing cabinets
Me: We don't have any filing cabinets
Mum: But what about if you want to send a letter
Me: We don't send letters, thats what email is for
Mum: Oh, what about writing a cheque...
Me: Bank transfers
Mum: Instruction Manuals?
Me: On the web or ebooks
Mum: talking to the people you work with ?
Me: Most are in HK/Tokyo/NY or another builfding so its usually IM or email anyway.
Mum: Oh, s you can actually do your job from home...

There is paper in our our office but napkins and tissues out number print outs by a long way.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2014 - 3:17 PM

The French there does not say that paper is dead - it says that paper will never die. Not quite the same thing and a different discussion really.

Your mum must be very old, lobsterboy. I am taking my 96 year old aunty out for lunch next week. We make the arrangements by email.

mikehit
mikehit  56320 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 3:27 PM

Quote: Paper is not dead, I doubt it will ever die either.

Reasons are many, One of which Brian has already mentioned, Many moons ago I was involved with an outfit that was going all computerised, They where spending several hundred thousand quid on the whole show too, The goons at the top declared this will mean a " Paper Free " environment...Grin

Well it did not see a paper free environment, In short the stupidly expensive operation would have failed completely, But for the addition of some note pads & pencils, That I might add cost just a few quid by comparison, When I say it would have failed, I mean dangerously failed, Even now several generations of multi thousands of bucks worth of upgrades, There is still a need for the note pads & pencils.....Grin Smile Wink

When you have no power supply, When the batteries are flat, It is night so no solar devices, All the fancy gadgets in the world become nothing more than land fill.

So keep a note pad and pencil handy, While your at it have a few trained pigeons around to, Then it will mean business as usual despite the post apocalyptic situation.

Well almost...!!!

About 10 years ago I was working for the family company and we went for ISO9002 accreditation.
We thought about going for 9001 accreditation and part of that included environmental impact including paper wastage. The irony was that we had to have masses of hard copy files to show the assessments we had done! We didn't bother.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 3:46 PM

Quote: Your mum must be very old, lobsterboy. I am taking my 96 year old aunty out for lunch next week. We make the arrangements by email.

Oh no shes 80 but happy to text & email. She just has trouble conceiving of a work place where paper is pretty much irrelevant.

lemmy
30 Jan 2014 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Oh no shes 80 but happy to text & email. She just has trouble conceiving of a work place where paper is pretty much irrelevant.

Oh, right. In offices themselves I read recently that consumption of paper is greater than it ever was, mainly because they used to employ professionals to type stuff and now it is done by the normal staff themselves with consequently much greater wastage. Also, because computers make it so simple to print stuff out, people do so.

I must say that what letters I get now are often semi-literate and written in awful 'I am supportive of' instead of 'I support', bureaucratic jargon.

lobsterboy
30 Jan 2014 - 4:44 PM

I'm sure that used to be true, but in the last 2-3 years the drop has been quite dramatic where I work. People moan if any process involves paper and it has been eliminated from almost every business process.

I can't imagine we are being very innovative compared to other businesses.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 30 Jan 2014 - 5:00 PM
lemmy
30 Jan 2014 - 5:24 PM

Quote: I'm sure that used to be true, but in the last 2-3 years the drop has been quite dramatic where I work.

Interesting. I expect that your office mirrors most others.

Most of the printed stuff I get now is to do with my bank. Everything I do is online but they have to send out sheaves of stuff for money laundering and regulatory reasons. Whether anyone ever reads it I don't know but I suppose it keeps the makers of paper shredders in business.

puertouk
puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 5:58 PM

We have bidets out here in Tenerife, so, no paper required. If you've not got a bidet, stick a water pipe at the rear of the toilet and when finished, turn the tap on and if you don't have a mixer tap, tough! Your bum gets cold or it burns! BlushTongue

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2014 - 6:12 PM

I'm down to my last pack of A4 copier paper, normally I would panic and be on to the stockists but I'm not too bothered for the next couple of weeks or so Grin

wherever we can its pdfs, and email.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.