Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is shooting RAW worth it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dazzaman
dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
3 Jun 2009 - 10:33 AM

i was just wondering what you guys thought about this topic. ive always been told, shoot in raw, ALWAYS. you will get the best quality, you will get more data info, shadows, highlights, tones, etc etc.but if like myself, you are not too good at processing,and struggle at times with cs2.(what is the point shooting raw?????????) why not just shoot in high quality jpeg?????????????????????????????
daz.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jun 2009 - 10:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 10:36 AM

If you think you are better off with HQ Jpeg, then go for it.
I personally would not do Jpeg, except for snaps, as RAW gives me so much flexibility.
From your PF and recent POTW, I can't see you have any problems with processing though.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 3 Jun 2009 - 10:36 AM
montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 10:40 AM

If you are happy with the results in jpeg - stay with it - a lot of people do.

If you want the absolute best quality, options and flexibility - RAW will give it to you.

Opinions vary enormously on this one - but ultimately it's what you want and expect from the image that matters.

dazzaman
3 Jun 2009 - 10:43 AM

thanks for your input guys.
ive never had a POTW cole, i wish i had, lol
daz

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 10:48 AM

Daz,
I am sorry, I have mixed you up with another Daz.... LOL

dazzaman
3 Jun 2009 - 10:49 AM

no worry,s mate lol
daz

Coleslaw
3 Jun 2009 - 10:51 AM

Why not take both at the same time, Raw + Jpeg?
Then you can compare and decide what's worth keeping or processing.

dazzaman
3 Jun 2009 - 10:58 AM

not a bad idea that cole, i will try it.
daz.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote: Why not take both at the same time, Raw + Jpeg?
Then you can compare and decide what's worth keeping or processing.

That's what I do. I almost always find the jpeg is fine, but the RAW is always there if I need it.

dazzaman
3 Jun 2009 - 11:36 AM

thaks rog
dazza

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 11:37 AM

Ah, so that's why Rog fills his memory cards up so quickly Wink

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
3 Jun 2009 - 1:45 PM

Yes !

Damian

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 1:56 PM

I shoot RAW on my DSLR, JPEG on my compact. I'm not hung up on the issue! But for any significant manipulation, RAW gives more latitude, without a doubt.

As some will recall, a few years ago, Ken Rockwell upset many people on here by turning this around and saying RAW is for sloppy photographers because of this extra latitude, i.e. more room to correct exposure errors after shooting etc. But that's just his bull in a china shop approach to photography. Lol! Wink

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 2:21 PM

I always shoot RAW, because I don't like the idea of losing data. i like the flexibility and the extra exposure latitude best of all.
But if you get the results you want with jpeg, why not?

geoffrey baker
geoffrey baker e2 Member 10496 forum postsgeoffrey baker vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2009 - 2:24 PM

I used to shoot Raw + Jpegs together but I now only shoot Raw, it saves a lot of storage space as I never used the Jpegs for anything other than viewing in the Windows slideshow anyway.
I downloaded the Raw codec for Vista and can now view the Raws just the same as I used to do with the Jpegs.

It only takes a few seconds to convert a Raw file anyway and it's well worth the effort, so come on Darren, get learning mate lol.
I reckon it's crazy to spend all this money on good cameras/lenses and then shoot Jpegs.

I would only shoot Jpegs if I was taking holiday snaps or record shots and I was certain I'd never need all the extra information that a Raw file holds.
Geoff.

Last Modified By geoffrey baker at 3 Jun 2009 - 2:27 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.