Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is the 60d a worthy upgrade to the 600d

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dazzaman
    dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
    15 May 2012 - 2:21 PM

just wandering what you guys thought of the 60d and wondering weather it would be a worthy upgrade to the 600d.or would i be just wasting a few hundred pounds. the 7d is out of the question due to funds.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 May 2012 - 2:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

frenchie44
    15 May 2012 - 2:50 PM

I have just bought the 60D body to replace my 40D, i also have the 50D, the 60D layout is a lot different to the other D's but i will get used to it, its a very nice camera, the battery life is great, over 1000 shots without the screen on. to make the most of the body and the pixel count you will need a good lens to match it. the mode dial on top has a push button that has to be pressed before changing modes, i cant count the number of times in the past i have taken a shot and found i had the wrong mode, not any more! i did consider the 7D but the savings i made can get me a new standard lens.

mikehit
    mikehit  56444 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 2:52 PM

The main differences are:
    60D is more rugged but even the 600D is made of high-impact polymer and will survive quite a few knocks
    the AF on the 60D is slightly improved but the 600D has the AF system of the old 30D and is pretty good
    60D has a faster maximum
    both have the same sensor but the 600D (yes, the 600D) has a slightly better sensor performance as it is about 2 years newer
    the 60D works with two dials as opposed to buttons
    the 60D has LCD top plate

The 30D was my first DSLR and I prefer that range for the last 2 points which is about ergonomics and not camera performance. Having said that, I have the 7D and my wife has the 600D, and if it were not for the whizz-bang AF I may well have gone for the 600D and used the spare dosh to get a better good lens.

So, no you will not be wsting your money as long as you are buying it for the right reasons but there are probably better things to spend your money on: get a better lens first (there are some very nice L lenses in that price range), or a flash, or a good tripod or...

dazzaman
    dazzaman  8570 forum posts England
    15 May 2012 - 6:56 PM

Thanks guys.I already own the 70-200l f4 but I would absolutely love to own the. 24-70l glass.Tongue

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 7:23 PM

Must agree with mike on lens, The lens will make a far better improvement than the body will pound for pound, and investment in l lens now will be beneficial to later upgrades in body.

steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    15 May 2012 - 8:24 PM

I have just made the change from 600D to the 60D.
    It wasn't the difference in specification that made my mind up. The bigger body feels much better balanced. Plus the control wheel and the top buttons and LCD screen are worth every penny. I use the 60D much more than the 600.
    If you do go for it I'm sure you won't regret it!

mikehit
    mikehit  56444 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 8:59 PM

I was impressed by the styling of the 60D when I handled it. Although it is not much smaller than the 30D/40D/50D, the curvature on the design certainly made it look and feel significantly smaller.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 9:01 PM

I tried both 600 and 60D but once I had the 60D in my hands there was no contest. Wins hands down.
    But I'd still like some top notch lenses, which would work just as well with the 60D as with my old 400D. Lenses rule.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.