Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is the camera industry doomed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315559 forum posts England
25 Apr 2013 - 4:39 PM

I agree, you see a lot more people taking snaps with phones and tablets, but as lawbert says, this is because everyone has been given a camera for free with their phone, whereas previously they may not have bought one. Doesn't mean that enthusiasts will get rid of theirs.

I use the camera on my HTC all the time, as it's always in my pocket, and the quality isn't much worse than my Canon Ixus 100 (the camera I bought as my "carry everywhere" camera). However, I also just bought a 6D.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Apr 2013 - 4:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pablo69
pablo69  6200 forum posts England7 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 4:56 PM

So how do the does the fact that a lot SLR cameras can now take hd video? people are creating some great short films using a camera, but are the sales of camcorders going down?

Some Wedding photographers now actually shoot video as well with these camera's an all in one package.

So have the camera manufacters already seen it coming and thats why we can video with a camera?

I cant never seem me using the video function on a camera but it is there

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 5:02 PM

Enthusiasts will always pay more money for equipment which those for whom photography/cars/hifi etc are just something mundane.

But the point is: will this be enough to sustain the camera manufacturing industry? Or will that contract to making niche products in order to survive?

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 5:21 PM

Quote:

But the point is: will this be enough to sustain the camera manufacturing industry? Or will that contract to making niche products in order to survive?

In a Word......NoWink

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 5:28 PM

'No' to which one...

lawbert
25 Apr 2013 - 5:29 PM

Quote: 'No' to which one...

BothWink

Evertonian
25 Apr 2013 - 5:46 PM

Quote: One thing that has always stopped me splashing out on decent binoculars is their lack of ability to record what I'm seeing. If that can be put right that's great! Smile

There are devices on the market which have integral cameras but resolution is so low as to render them useless.

Madhatter58
25 Apr 2013 - 6:50 PM

Wish I could find a phone without a camera to be honest

silverfoxey
25 Apr 2013 - 6:54 PM

Camera phones have progressed impressivley, yes! But the camera will always be the first choice for the serious Pro and the enthusiast. My only crib is that camera manufactures are always trying to come up with too many latest upgrades. This so we camera buffs go out and spend more money. What next a camera that takes pictures RANDOM on it's own. I'm of the opposite view they have been trying too hard to be innovative. ONCE UPON A TIME WITH FILM, YOU HAD TO SLOW THINGS DOWN AND THINK ABOUT YOUR SHOT. AND WORK OUT YOUR OWN EXPOSURE. Digital camera manufactures have become too greedy with there inflated prices. I for one have spent far more money since going digital than when I had a Canon A1 SLR film camera. There pricing will have to compete now with the camera phones. Think about it Canon and Nikon! Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 7:22 PM

I wonder what proportion of camera buyers can be classified as pros and enthusiasts? 1% maybe?

Certainly a low figure and, arguably, not enough to sustain a full- blown camera industry. It is one of the factors cited in the Jessops debacle. You don't see too many mobile phone shops closing down. In fact they seem to be on the increase.

lawbert
25 Apr 2013 - 7:36 PM

Quote: You don't see too many mobile phone shops closing down. In fact they seem to be on the increase.

Aye...But they are communication shops...not camera shopsTongueWink

If youve got any kit worth flogging CB sell it now before the dedicated photographic camera world comes to an endTongueTongue

The End Is NighTongueTongue

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 8:26 PM

Why do people talk about phones and tablets as though they are somehow different. At the end of the day, people are using cameras. They may have other useful attachments but they are still cameras.

keith selmes
25 Apr 2013 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I wonder what proportion of camera buyers can be classified as pros and enthusiasts? 1% maybe?

Given the choice, is it better to have

100 customers who each buy a 10 camera

10 customers who each buy a 90 camera and a 10 pouch

1 customer who buys a 1000 camera
and then comes back at intervals for
a 500 telephoto zoom
a 200 flash unit
a 50 bag to put them in
a 100 tripod
some spare batteries
(And then their next 1500 camera)

keith selmes
25 Apr 2013 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Why do people talk about phones and tablets as though they are somehow different. At the end of the day, people are using cameras. They may have other useful attachments but they are still cameras.

In the case of this article, because it's assumed they are made and marketed by different companies. To me, it's more about economics than photography.

Stephen_w3d
25 Apr 2013 - 8:51 PM

Nikon started releasing its pro F series cameras in the Fifties with an upgrade every 10 years or so and are still going (Nikon that is not the F that stopped with the F6). So even if they have to reduce the release cycle of new models I'm sure they will still be around in years to come. The majority of people who use camera phones would probably never buy anything more than a basic compact camera, so nothing to worry about here.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.