Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is the wait over?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 9509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
27 Feb 2012 - 10:51 PM

This looks interesting.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Feb 2012 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think its failry safe that its just round the corner now , just need to wait for a release date and then see if its acutally going to be worth the cash or wait for it to drop first ...

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2012 - 11:19 PM

If they put the 7D AF into the 5DMIII I can see even 5DMII users wanting to upgrade for the improved AF performance (esp those working outside of studios - journalists or any action photographers).

Rumours are probably worth listening too now - in the build up more and more people get info so the potential for leaks or early releases of info are much stronger.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2012 - 11:37 PM

Another rumour is a new wireless flash system requiring new flash guns also. If the rumours are correct it would be good to see if sticking to @22mp is the best compromise. I hear people speculating that the 5DIII replaces the 7D also. One size fits all?

lawbert
lawbert  71721 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2012 - 11:41 PM

On Canon Rumours its supposed to be announced 2nd march and it will have 61 point af system

strawman
27 Feb 2012 - 11:58 PM

How do you use 61AF points, I struggle to use 9. Grin

Hugo
Hugo  9640 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Feb 2012 - 11:59 PM

I wish it to be so amazing that all the Mk2 owners feel life must be over unless they rush out to buy new toys and thus the second hand price of a Mk2 falls below 1000.
Any chance?!!!

strawman
28 Feb 2012 - 12:04 AM

Possible, the 5D MKI is now down to @ 600. If the new list price is correct (and Canon have a habit of putting stupidly high list prices on) it could be you will need to wait some time for 5D MKII prices to fall.

Hugo
Hugo  9640 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Feb 2012 - 12:11 AM

Indeed I think I've seen slight battered 5d MK1's nearer 500 at MPB Photo.
But then it is 7 years old? A long time in today's world.

Overread
28 Feb 2012 - 12:34 AM

Quote: Another rumour is a new wireless flash system requiring new flash guns also. If the rumours are correct it would be good to see if sticking to @22mp is the best compromise. I hear people speculating that the 5DIII replaces the 7D also. One size fits all?

They'd have to seriously pull out the stops to replace the 7D. And honestly I'd only expect them to kill 1.6crop by introducing fullframe rebel series cameras. Esp since they still have a 1.3 crop on the 1D line. Plus money invested into the EFS lens range.

I think the end of the 7D line is wishful thinking by sports/wildlife shooters who want a high action fullframe sensor at 5D prices Wink

A 500 is just about the right price for me to consider getting one (at some point) just to experiment with fullframe digital.

Also I can like my own posts now Smile

strawman
28 Feb 2012 - 12:44 AM

For a 3rd generation product I see no problem with it offering advanced AF and faster frame rate. Mind you 61AF points, boy it will be hard to select the AF point using the joystick.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2012 - 12:53 AM

Quote: For a 3rd generation product I see no problem with it offering advanced AF and faster frame rate. Mind you 61AF points, boy it will be hard to select the AF point using the joystick.

That has always been my beef - 61 points sounds all well and good but surly selecting the right point will take more time then just focusing the 5D2 anyway...

If I had my way, I would keep the 9 AF points, just spread them out a bit more, improve the tracking ability (greatly) and make all 9 as sensitive as the certral spot.

Overread
28 Feb 2012 - 12:56 AM

Normally a "61point AF system" means that you'll have a core number of selectable AF points, backed up with several AF points actually helping each of them out. So not just the single spot AF point is used, but a couple surrounding it for improved speed+accuracy. However most times you have this you can also go into spot AF where you really are just using that single selected point (for very fine control/subjects where depth of field is too shallow to allow for any small errors).

Though I agree a more spaced out AF system (even on the 7D) would be helpful.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2012 - 1:12 AM

The AF performance of the central spot on the 5D2 is very good already.

If the real world usage of a "61point AF system" means that you end up just using the central spot, well you have to ask what is the point?

When the 5D launched, Canon claimed it actally had '6 invisible AF assist points to improve tracking'. I'm guessing the 5D2 has these also as Canon claim the AF system is unchanged. However on using both cameras, these 'AF assist' points seem to do 'F' all

User_Removed
28 Feb 2012 - 7:10 AM

Quote: I wish it to be so amazing that all the Mk2 owners feel life must be over unless they rush out to buy new toys and thus the second hand price of a Mk2 falls below 1000.

That's exactly my thoughts.
Let's face it, it's 85% about who's standing behind the camera and how they use it in my opinion.
Spending an extra 1500 to get very little improvement isn't going to make you a photographer! Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Feb 2012 - 7:12 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.