Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is the xt-1 the perfect street camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64433 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 8:23 PM

Due to quite severe tendonitis and the type of photography I do, I'm wondering whether to sell the heavy DSLr etc, and go for the XT-1. I'd appreciate some input from users as it's going to be quite a wrench to let go of my camera history, but quite exciting too. I do mainly street, candid and low light interiors.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Aug 2014 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 8:31 PM

The XT1 will not be much of a weight saving, it uses an APS-C sensor so lenses will be no smaller than those you use with your current dslr system.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64433 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 8:34 PM

I did wonder about that, but surely it's a smaller system than a Canon 60d plus lenses. I know I have the Panasonic m43 kit which I love, but was just thinking about better IQ.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 8:40 PM

Just get yourself the EM10 Smile

http://camerasize.com/compare/#520,521

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 2 Aug 2014 - 8:42 PM
SlowSong
2 Aug 2014 - 8:46 PM

Can't get on with the fiddly menus. Just don't like Olympus. OK, am now officially a pariah. Grin

here4years
here4years e2 Member 174 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 8:52 PM

Quote: so lenses will be no smaller than those you use with your current dslr system.

I don't think thats correct - with reference to the Canon lenses all the equivalent Fuji lenses are smaller and lighter (eg the Canon 24 105 weighs 670 grm - the nearest Fuji lens the 18 -55 (equiv 27 -80) weighs just over 310. Also the XT-1 body is much lighter than my Canon 5dMk2 and lighter than the Canon 600D.

I have changed from Canon DSLR to Fuji XT-1 (as I've explained in another thread) purely for weight saving and compactness. At 68, lugging loads of heavy gear over mountain and moor was getting beyond me. Also the IQ (IMO anyway) matches that of the Canon.

Quote: Just don't like Olympus. OK, am now officially a pariah.

Join the club! Smile

SlowSong
2 Aug 2014 - 8:54 PM

Interesting. Thanks h4y.

here4years
here4years e2 Member 174 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 9:48 PM

I should add that, in order to compare like for like, I've compared the Fuji lenses with the Canon L lenses not the Canon EF-S range. The Fuji lenses are metal bodied, quality lenses simililar to the Canon L range.

RobboB
RobboB e2 Member 777 forum postsRobboB vcard United Kingdom
2 Aug 2014 - 9:54 PM

Quote: The XT1 will not be much of a weight saving, it uses an APS-C sensor so lenses will be no smaller than those you use with your current dslr system.

The Fuji lenses are lighter and smaller than traditional Canon DSLR APS-C lenses. I don't know how they do it but they do. I use the 18-55 for basic travel and street work but there are some wonderful primes in the x system such as the 35mm as well as the Zeiss Touit lenses as well.

Paul Morgan
2 Aug 2014 - 10:03 PM

The Fuji lenses are lighter and smaller than traditional Canon DSLR APS-C lenses

Are they, the Fuji 18-55 is a 100g heavier than the canon 18-55.

SlowSong
2 Aug 2014 - 10:07 PM

Interesting. I'd appreciate some input from some actual users though just to give me a bit more of a feel of the camera than just looking at stats and impressions. But thanks for your interest guys. Smile

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 10:16 PM

Cheaper option and lighter maybe, only take the one lens needed for the job on the day. Something I now do with my Nikon gear. It also helps me focus on the one subject.

I had been thinking along the lines of the xt1 etc, but I think I will stick with what I have till it breaks.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Aug 2014 - 10:18 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2014 - 10:20 PM

Quote: The Fuji lenses are lighter and smaller than traditional Canon DSLR APS-C lenses

Are they, the Fuji 18-55 is a 100g heavier than the canon 18-55.

The Fuji is an f2.8-f4 the Canon f3.5-5.6 so you are not comparing like with like.
The Canon APS-C bodies are designed to be able to take the EF lenses, so although they can make the EF-S lenses smaller than EF lenses they are still constrained by the need to have the same flange to sensor distance. If you look at the Canon M lenses body (also APS-C), they have no constraints so have designed the lens from the ground up and they are smaller than the EOS equivalent.

So if Fuji designed a 18-55 f3.5 to 5.6 my guess is it would still be smaller than the EOS equivalent. However that is irrelevant because if you want 18-55 it is, as you say, heavier. It would be interesting to compare the other Fuji lenses that are equivalent to the Canon ones you use at the moment (but make sure you look at lens+body weights).

Have you looked at Panasonic? I find them much closer in ergonomics to Canon (I have the 30D and 7D along with Pana GX1 and GX7 and the Oly E-M5).

FWIW the X-T1 is about the only Fuji body I would consider and that is based on review comments about AF efficiency.

CTee
CTee  769 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Aug 2014 - 10:27 PM

I have moved over to the X-T1 and enjoy the smaller format, still need to invest in a smaller bag for just the body and one lens!!

I have found that the low light performance to be pretty good, the two highest ISO settings are jpeg only but I have taken some pretty good stuff with some PP to reduce the noise. I could never have even thought about taking images with previous DSLR.

I like to controls for ISO, Speed and Aperture etc being on the top plate with no need to enter the menus.

The smaller format is also not quite so intimidating when taking photos some people do not feel so of put being infront of the camera.

MichaelMelb_AU
3 Aug 2014 - 12:11 AM

X-t1 might be a perfect street camera, but mind the streets where you go with 1000 pound worth camera...Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.