Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is the xt-1 the perfect street camera?

Ross_D 1 345 1 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2014 9:01AM
I have quoted myself from another topic (Demise of the camera Shop):

Quote: I found it useful to visit a shop and 'play' with the various makes and models (and lenses ) to compare weight, layout etc. Nothing against the OM-D range - just felt the Fuji suited my personal preference.

As others have said the Fuji lenses are amazing and the 18-55 (although sold as a 'kit'l lens) is real gem - good contrast with excellent sharpness, IMO the equal of the Canon 24-105 ( and I have tried them both at the same aperture and focal length). I suppose for street photography the autofocus speed is important and certainly Fuji have improved on this although this is something that is not important for my photography.

Quote:but mind the streets where you go with 1000 pound worth camera.

Excellent advice !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
3 Aug 2014 9:13AM
Yes, I will have a look at one. I probably won't like it once I've held it, that often happens. And it's not as if I don't have anything else to use. I was just interested.

Quote:but mind the streets where you go with 1000 pound worth camera.
Well that's usually the case anyway, but with the big DSLr plus hefty lens it's rather more noticeable than a small compact.
3 Aug 2014 9:53AM
This month's Back + White Photography Magazine has a review of the XT 1. They seem to rate it highly.
SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
3 Aug 2014 10:17AM
Was just reading that, thanks. Smile
hobbo Plus
4 937 2 England
3 Aug 2014 2:03PM
My new PANASONIC GX7 fits the bill beautifully, tilting viewfinder and screen, a good range of lenses, plus being able to use a whole host of older and other lenses via appropriate adaptors.
Its small, comparatively light and beautifully designed, just Google the reviews or look on YouTube.

Take a look at the BH presentations on YouTube, one of their latest features every mirror-less and micro four thirds camera going in great detail.....

Hobbo
Coast Plus
7 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2014 2:59PM

Quote:Can't get on with the fiddly menus. Just don't like Olympus. OK, am now officially a pariah. Grin

I don't really get your problem with the menu on the Olympus. I find it very intuitive and quick to use and it certainly is more straightforward than the menu on the 5D mkIII

It's like anything you have to put a bit of time in to work your way through but it doesn't take long until it all falls in place. Its important a camera feels right and not every camera system falls naturally to each of us. I do think however you shouldn't discount any of the OMD's if you are looking for a good IQ and a light manageable system. Maybe worth another look?

The XT-1 is an excellent bit of kit but as has been said will not give you much weight and size difference over a Canon APS-C system. Also at present it doesn't have the lens choice of the MFT.
SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
3 Aug 2014 4:48PM
The GX7 does sound good Hobbo. And it's got in-body sensor shift so we can use the Olympus lenses to their full capability too. A good addition to the Lumix range. And it's half the price. As I've already got the G5 I'll do a comparison to see if it's worth trading in anything and get my hands on one to try it out. Thanks for the suggestions.
x
Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.8k 6 England
3 Aug 2014 5:49PM
I don't really get your problem with the menu on the Olympus. I find it very intuitive and quick to use and it certainly is more straightforward than the menu on the 5D mkIII

Yes I agree.
ChrisV 8 1.1k 26 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2014 7:03PM

Quote:so lenses will be no smaller than those you use with your current dslr system.

I don't think thats correct - with reference to the Canon lenses all the equivalent Fuji lenses are smaller and lighter (eg the Canon 24 105 weighs 670 grm - the nearest Fuji lens the 18 -55 (equiv 27 -80) weighs just over 310. Also the XT-1 body is much lighter than my Canon 5dMk2 and lighter than the Canon 600D.

I have changed from Canon DSLR to Fuji XT-1 (as I've explained in another thread) purely for weight saving and compactness. At 68, lugging loads of heavy gear over mountain and moor was getting beyond me. Also the IQ (IMO anyway) matches that of the Canon.

Just don't like Olympus. OK, am now officially a pariah.

Join the club! Smile

The Olympus 12-40 (24-80 equ.) is just a tad heavier (382g), but you're obviously getting more at the wider end of the reach and it is of course a constant f2.8 lens, which will mean notably better light gathering and subject isolation than the Fuji. You'd go a long way to find a better built lens too. Mind you I wouldn't dream of comparing it withe the EF 24-105 (which I also have), because it blows that out of the water (maybe it's just mine but I always found it a bit of an underwhelming performer).
Paul Morgan Plus
14 16.8k 6 England
3 Aug 2014 7:07PM
I should imagine the 12-40mm paired with the EM10 would be a sweet little package Smile
mikehit Plus
5 7.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2014 9:54PM

Quote:

My experience chimes with Chris's: the menu can be tortuous to use and the names of the functions is often the opposite of what I expect, and the menu guide notes are sometimes in double negatives which I find irritating as hell: it is minor in the grand scheme of things and there is no real rhyme nor reason to it. But why take a risk on a camera whose stablemate you did not like, when you can get just as good quality and the same functionality with a camera whose stablemate you did like; and the GX7 and GH4 have closed the gap on image quality to the point of irrelevance.
Having said that I have got used to the E-M5 over the last year and the only reason I still have it is because of the awesome 5-axis stabilisation and replacing it with another GX7 would be too expensive a move. So if starting with MFT now I may well have gone with GX7 with maybe a G6 as a back up.
StrayCat Plus
11 16.3k 2 Canada
3 Aug 2014 10:03PM

Quote:So if starting with MFT now I may well have gone with GX7 with maybe a G6 as a back up.

...and no stabilisation on all those beautiful Olympus lenses?

PS: My main lens is a Panasonic.Wink
StrayCat Plus
11 16.3k 2 Canada
3 Aug 2014 10:12PM

Quote:plus being able to use a whole host of older and other lenses via appropriate adaptors.

That's something that in the beginning was a bit of a draw. However, once I had used some of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses of today, the novelty quickly wore off. a little over a week ago I gathered all my lenses and adaptors that I had collected painstakingly on the internet, a great Canon film camera with everything in tip-top shape, a custom Canon flash, made just for the camera, a back for the camera with no leaking of the led, all working like new, put it all in one box, and my wife sold it for $20.00 cdn in a garage sale. The lenses and adaptors are ok if you want to play around and do something a little different, but I lost interest quickly. I could have saved myself a couple hundred dollars.
SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
3 Aug 2014 10:19PM

Quote:and no stabilisation on all those beautiful Olympus lenses?
The GX7 has in-camera stabilisation so will be compatible with Olympus lenses in that respect. Smile
mikehit Plus
5 7.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2014 10:21PM

Quote:So if starting with MFT now I may well have gone with GX7 with maybe a G6 as a back up.

...and no stabilisation on all those beautiful Olympus lenses?

PS: My main lens is a Panasonic.Wink

The GX7 has IBIS (which is why I got it) - albeit not as good as the E-M5 (which is why I still have the E-M5), though I don't know why because Panasonic have been putting a pretty good IBIS on their camcorders for some time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.