Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is the xt-1 the perfect street camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisV
ChrisV  7782 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2014 - 10:45 PM

My favourite lens of the moment is the Panny 25 f1.4 - it's around the right length for small groups and is lovely and sharp wide open at which it gives good subject isolation. No stabilisation on that of course, but I always think that's of limited use on a relatively short lens. If you're photographing people you don't really want to go below about 1/30th even if they're keeping fairly still.

It's made me wonder a bit about the 45 1.2, but that is really pricey. I could get one of the faster still Voigtlanders for half the price and I'm seriously tempted by that for very low light work and seriously shallow DoF. I think one of those would pair really well with the IBIS on the EM1, especially for still subjects/ really low light. I can live with the manual focus - anyone around here used one?

One thing about MFT - we aren't short of choices...

Last Modified By ChrisV at 3 Aug 2014 - 10:46 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Aug 2014 - 10:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014794 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 1:36 AM

I just sold my Olympus 45mm f1.8 because I found I wasn't using it. I bought an Olympus fl600r yesterday with the funds. The 600 is an amazing piece of equipment. Although I haven't spent much time with it yet, what I have done is very encouraging, should have gotten it back when Brian recommended it 2 years ago. I put 4 fully-charged Eneloops in it, and I'll wager they'll last at least a year, I have a spare set jic. The recharge time is amazing; I was missing so many shots with the fl36 waiting for it to recharge. The NIMH batteries are supposed to be much faster. I'm thinking I'd like to have a fast 150mm lens, or I might get the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro again, and use it for close-up. Macro is too difficult for me, I've tried and failed several times with different brands.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2014 - 2:26 PM

Just had a look at the GX7. Lovely little camera, super to hold, OK menus. But - who needs a viewfinder that flips up when the screen does exactly that? A very fiddly and small viewfinder at that. I don't need WiFi or HD video either. I'm glad I had a look, but not for me. More money saved. Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56437 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2014 - 3:14 PM

Picky aint'cha ? Tongue

I had the detachable VF on my GX1 and that also roated and I liked it for the occasional time I wanted to get down low for macro or with the camera on a tripod - you are right that the movable LCD of the GX7 makes it less of a feature but I have occasion to use it on bright days for careful composition.

Lemmy is selling his GH3 for a very good price. Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2014 - 4:01 PM

Quote: Picky aint'cha ?

Am looking for any excuse not to buy another camera. The next one's got to be perfect. Grin It's all too tempting.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7782 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2014 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Just had a look at the GX7. Lovely little camera, super to hold, OK menus. But - who needs a viewfinder that flips up when the screen does exactly that? A very fiddly and small viewfinder at that. I don't need WiFi or HD video either. I'm glad I had a look, but not for me. More money saved. Smile

I'd guess the unit is taken or adapted from the Epson - designed add-on EVF which also flips up. It's one of the highest resolution EVFs out there and I suppose they thought as it can do that, they may as well keep the feature. It's always better to have an EVF in bright sunlight anyway [as Mike's noted], but I, like yourself see it as a bit of overkill with a flipping rear screen. But surely WiFi and HD video are pretty standard now anyway?

I've not got a GX7 myself as I have higher end MFT bodies plus the GM1 for ultimate portability/stealth. I reckon the GX7 has a brilliant mix of compactness and ergonomics though, not to mention it being the only Panny MFT that currently has in-body IS.

Out of interest what are you picking as an alternative?

SlowSong
5 Aug 2014 - 4:16 PM

Quote: But surely WiFi and HD video are pretty standard now anyway?

Standard, yes, but I never use them. Like touch screens. Hate them. That's one reason I was put off the Canon S110 and S120 as a pocket camera - you can't turn it off.

Looked at the G16 but it doesn't have a flip screen, and I do like that feature.

I'm happy with my G5 at the mo but once I decide to sell the DSLRs etc. I'd like a top-notch IQ in a small body to take over where they leave off. I like to zoom using a barrel rather than a rocker too.

GM1 - no viewfinder. And yet another touch screen. Huh Sad

I'm in no hurry. Someone'll invent the one for me at some point. Smile

There are so many models these days that sound the same; they all have Gs, Xs, 1s and 0s in their names and after a while it all gets totally confusing. And expensive! Don't get me started......

mikehit
mikehit  56437 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Aug 2014 - 4:57 PM

There are rumours of three new Panasonic camera: maybe the LX8, a fixed lens MFT and another MFT. With Photokina in September you may hear about your perfect camera very shortly Grin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2014 - 12:09 AM

Quote: But surely WiFi and HD video are pretty standard now anyway? Standard, yes, but I never use them. Like touch screens. Hate them. That's one reason I was put off the Canon S110 and S120 as a pocket camera - you can't turn it off.

Looked at the G16 but it doesn't have a flip screen, and I do like that feature.

I'm happy with my G5 at the mo but once I decide to sell the DSLRs etc. I'd like a top-notch IQ in a small body to take over where they leave off. I like to zoom using a barrel rather than a rocker too.

GM1 - no viewfinder. And yet another touch screen. Huh Sad

I'm in no hurry. Someone'll invent the one for me at some point. Smile

There are so many models these days that sound the same; they all have Gs, Xs, 1s and 0s in their names and after a while it all gets totally confusing. And expensive! Don't get me started......

The stylus 1 is quite a lovely little compact, no fully bendy screen but it does share the same EVF viewfinder as the EM5, has the same RC flash control and many other similar features, but it also shares the same menu system that you don`t like.

I disliked the EM5`s menus a great deal for the first few days I had mine but then I quickly got the hang of it, its as if it all fell into place over night and now I hardly think about it.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2014 - 7:05 PM

X-T1, I love it.
Great viewfinder which does more than DSLR in that it displays what the camera is seeing, not just what the photographer is seeing, ie correct or incorrect exposure.
Vari screen, good for composing discreet street photos.
Great results, both detail and dynamic range.
Poor battery life.
No built in flash.
Beautifully made.
Easy to control in manual or semi auto (aperture priority) modes
Great lens with excellent IS on the 18-55 f2.8 to f4 lens.
Here is an example:
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/iancrowson-124962/gallery/photo/hiding-from-the-h...

The sensor is APS-C size and therefore must put the X-T1 ahead of the Olympus micro 4/3's which will remain their limiting feature.

Go for it, small, light (isn) and beautiful to use.

Ian

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123927 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2014 - 8:53 AM

I agree that the X-T1 is an unassuming looking camera in the street but for me not a panacea to all evils; probably it is me but I don't find the handling anywhere near as intuitive to use as my DSLRs; however in terms of results, image quality; high ISO performance the camera and Fuji lenses have it all. The high ISO performance is on a par with my Nikon D3s.

Before buying one I suggest check the handling of the camera.

bryan-ferry-ii.jpg

Bryan Ferry at the Henley Festival: X-T1 plus 55-200 @ 2500 ISO.

SlowSong
13 Aug 2014 - 9:06 AM

Just for info

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/flare-effect-on-the-x-t1/

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2014 - 12:03 PM

Yes, could have been a problem under certain conditions.
According to the dealer when I bought mine all affected cameras were recalled and problem solved way back.
Ian

Crazycurtis28

I love the Xt1, I have had some hands on time with it several times. I Kind of wish I held off buying my EM5 for a month and got the XT1.... Kinda' Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.