Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is there a downside to 1000px uploads?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
AdrianTurner
7 Dec 2004 - 4:12 AM

I have just uploaded a 1000px 200k version of my previous 500px 60k pic.

I feel that when viewed at 500px (normal view) the 1000px upload looks inferior to the 500px upload. Even though viewing the larger version by clicking the link allows it to be seen as intended, first impressions may cause viewers to ignore the shot.

So, Pete et al, how are the uploads resized? I assume that it is down to the page code and nothing else. Would it be possible to upload two files one at the 500px by 60k limit and another at 1000px by 200k?

This is not an attempt to generate clicks but I would like to hear the views of others.

Adrian.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2004 - 4:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mshepherd
mshepherd  10667 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2004 - 4:34 AM

Adrian

I have just opened the two side by side in seperate windows and they both look the same to me.

Matt

elikag
elikag  9749 forum posts
7 Dec 2004 - 4:36 AM

I'd click the link for every image that will allow me to do that, even if just to see if the focus is better (assuming I didn't like the smaller version).

On another note - there's a downside. In the past you could "blame" the resizing for the unfocused shot, now it's harder (for the e2 members of course) Wink

I'm just joking, of course. We should be improving our skills rather than hiding behind the thechnology.....

Ilia Kagan

UserRemoved
7 Dec 2004 - 4:38 AM

1000px photos will show up bad photos easier than 500pixels.

We've all seen bad examples of photos posted here with 500 pixels which are OOF but when borders are applied narrowing them down further they look OK.

I've said a number of times on the forum and in comments that 500pixels hides a multitude.

1000 wont.

AdrianTurner
7 Dec 2004 - 4:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I for one am all in favour of the new upload limits and more than happy to pay for the privilege. The point of this topic was intended to investigate further as to the possibility of uploading two files rather than have a larger file downsized for normal display.

Adrian

mark a.
mark a.  9920 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2004 - 4:45 AM

I agree, digiart - the two versions are completely different. But unless the compression techniques are completely and utterly different, I don't think they are the exact same shot, so it's tricky doing a proper comparison. E.g. look at the rock at the back of the photo.

I would say that 500p "auto-reduction" of the 1000p picture is a better copy of the 1000p picture than your original 500p image. (Does that sentence make sense at all?!) To my eyes, your original is a touch too sharpened compared with the new one.

Going with that, I actually prefer the epz version of the 500p image! (Oh, and I love the picture as well!)

AdrianTurner
7 Dec 2004 - 4:48 AM

Hi Mark, that one rock is the only difference forgot to clone out the wheel trim that was there so had to do it in both copies indipendantly.

Adrian.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2004 - 4:54 AM

We need to look into this further. I see the main problem is when you view both side by side. Viewed independently I don't think it's much of an issue to most.

mark a.
mark a.  9920 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2004 - 4:59 AM

Ah, that'll explain that one, then.

But still, there are large differences - e.g. the patch of white in the water just at the bottom centre of the pic. To me the epz version copies it better than your original (i.e. there are three distinct patches of lightness, whereas in your original 500p image there are only 2).

Maybe it was a slightly different exposure as well? e.g. You took the photo from the same spot twice in succession?

But I certainly get your point that the epz auto-reduction will be different to if you did it yourself. The tricky bit is knowing which is better...

John_Duckett
7 Dec 2004 - 5:18 AM

Going off track slightly my main concern with the new 1000pixel size is that anyone could download it and with a company like Photobox, get a half desent A4 print done. Not much use if like me you are trying to sell your images as prints.

Pete is there anyway to stop this as I would love to upload at the new size?

John

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2004 - 5:21 AM

John you don't have to upload at the large size - it's an option for those who want to. I can't see a way around preventing people downloading - those who want to can get round most forms of copyright. As they can with music and software.

John_Duckett
7 Dec 2004 - 5:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Pete. I'll give it a few days to see how it goes. For me that isn't the main reason for wanting E2 anyway.

1 very happy customer

John

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2004 - 5:32 AM

They don't so much as get around copyright, they just don't acknowledge it and feel that because it is on the net then anyone can have it!

steffilewis
7 Dec 2004 - 6:29 AM

Maybe you should restrict 1000px image viewing to only people with an account on EPZ?

S

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2004 - 6:59 AM

Steffi, anyone can set up an account on hotmail etc.. and then set one up on here.

There is an option to hide your 1000px images from non e2 members. Thus only people who have paid and potentially have used their own details to pay have access to the images.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.