Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is there a new replacement due for the Canon EOS 1d mkII??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lgc
lgc  962 forum posts England
26 Jul 2006 - 10:18 PM

I am finally decided on purchasing a Canon EOS 1d mkII and was wanting to know beforehand if they will be a new Canon EOS model coming out with the same 8.5 fps shooting speed???

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jul 2006 - 10:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jul 2006 - 11:08 PM

1D II-n came out in August 2005, so I would guess its replacement will not be announced until summer 2007.

lighty
lighty  12223 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jul 2006 - 11:12 PM

If I was you I would wait until the Show in September, you just never know.
john

Superficial
27 Jul 2006 - 8:32 AM

While we're on the subject - I need a new camera to replace my semi-working 300d, and I really don't want a 350d. I don't particularly fancy stretching to the 20D either (Too much money and I would have to buy better lenses to justify it really...).

So are we expecting a 400d any time soon? I'm assuming they'll fix the grip issue that everyone moans about in the next revision, as that's the main reason for me not wanting one.

P.S. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 8:37 AM

I would not expect a replacement for the 350D for another year. And we will have to see if they make it bigger or not...

Mattw

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 8:50 AM

Superficial, the 400d already exists, it is just called the 30D and sells at about the same price as a 300D did about 3 years ago.

The 5D replacement interests me more Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
27 Jul 2006 - 9:14 AM

There will always be a replacement due, but if you wait for that, why not wait for the next one. And the next...

strawman
27 Jul 2006 - 9:23 AM

I know Bri, but I am a mean git, so I grudge spending the money Smile

I set a threshold of how much I am prepared to spend and wait. I bought the 300D that way. And if there is a new camera in September, than I will be happy to buy a discounted 5D.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 10:17 AM

For the next few years and because photography is firmly part of the electronics industry, replacements are likely to be better, cheaper - and often smaller!

The 350D's successor in a few generations will be capable of being slipped into your shirt pocket. Grin

Superficial
27 Jul 2006 - 10:25 AM

I hope not. That's the problem with the current 350d - it's too small as it is!

I know you can keep waiting and waiting for a successor, but I really don't want to have to buy a 350, although it looks like that will have to be the case. If they would just release a 400d any time in the next month or so with a decent grip and some other improvements over the 350, I'd be happy.

Silver
Silver  877 forum posts
27 Jul 2006 - 10:35 AM

Quote: If they would just release a 400d any time in the next month or so with a decent grip and some other improvements over the 350, I'd be happy.

Why would there be a 400D? There would be no point. To stick an additional model between the 350D and 30D makes no sense. If they did that all down the range they'd end up with fifteen models!

Why not go for a 30D?

Carabosse
27 Jul 2006 - 10:40 AM

It is possible (but not certain) that the 350D's successors will be the only crop DSLRs left in the Canon range in years to come.

In Japan the 350D is aimed firmly at the handbag - and the model is called the "Kiss".

I would not be surprised if the 400D, or whatever it is called, is smaller than the 350D. I doubt it will be larger, anyway.

strawman
27 Jul 2006 - 11:41 AM

I would expect Canon to offer two crop camera, like the 350D and 30D. The entry level one has to be price compeditive and easy to use. The next up version could be one with a more rugged body faster frame rate, an all round camera for those who make photography a hobby. Capable of general photography and a decent sports capability.

The next one is as per the D30, but full frame, a bridge to the pro cameras, like the much loved EOS3.

So I think the current Canon line up looks sensible, and until the full frame tumbles in price the need for a 30D exists.

Carabosse
27 Jul 2006 - 12:15 PM

Allegedly a Canon executive has stated that the crop sensor will be retained only for the entry level DSLR, from now on. But I have been unable to find this quote - on the web anyway.

Another rumour - and it is only that - is that the 30D and 5D will be replaced by a single model.

Superficial
27 Jul 2006 - 12:27 PM

Quote: Why would there be a 400D? There would be no point. To stick an additional model between the 350D and 30D makes no sense. If they did that all down the range they'd end up with fifteen models!

I am not suggesting that they release a camera between the two existing models, I was saying that a successor to the 350D would be good for me. It would be hard to see how they would go about naming a model in between the xxD range and the xxxD range, so I don't think it's on Canon's roadmap at all.

I already explained that the 30D is a bit too much dollah, although I might stretch to it anyway if I can save some more cash up.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.