Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is there a new replacement due for the Canon EOS 1d mkII??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dave thelens
27 Jul 2006 - 12:32 PM

Probably .... it must at leat a month since the last new Canon

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jul 2006 - 12:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 12:38 PM

I heard that rumour CB, my local camera dealer was convinced that the 20D would be replaced by a full frame cost reduced 5D. Lets just keep it going Smile

I just hope that Sony and Nikon going to 10mp triggers a cost reduced full frame camera.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 12:51 PM

Canon probably has a devious long-term plan to "force" those locked into its system to go FF, whether they want to or not. There may be more profit in it, especially if additional lenses have to be purchased.

Sony has not brought out any reduced image-circle lenses: not even the brand new Carl Zeiss ones. That could be another pointer to the future.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 12:56 PM

There are rumours abound that there might be a lower cost full frame camera coming soon from Canon - probably called the 50D. Think this camera would be in addition to the 5D rather than replace it.

On one hand it makes alot of sense - utilise their lead in full frame sensors, and it is easy to imagine the 5D sensor in a plastic body with the old 7point AF system, no spot meter and a few other minor features removed (My guess completely) going for about 1000 (again a complete guess).

However, if Canon do this, they will have to be VERY careful with the lenses, particularly the wide angle lenses.
One can imagine the mother of all backlashes as people strap their budget lenses to a full frame digital camera, then blow the image up to 100% on the computer....

Mattw

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 12:58 PM

As I indicated it would force people to buy new lenses as well = more profit for Canon.

Assuming the 5D is retained, the 50D would presumably be the 30D's replacement - and the 20D's "true" successor. The 30D would never have been a new model in the old days of Canon. It would have been called the 20Dn or something like that.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 1:10 PM

Quote:
As I indicated it would force people to buy new lenses as well = more profit for Canon.

Yes... But - it is one thing to sell a camera at 4500 or even 1600, and then say to them 'Well to get the best out of the camera you need to spend money on decent glass', but as you reduce the body price, you will increasingly find customers unwilling to pay for L quaility glass.

Quote:
Assuming the 5D is retained, the 50D would presu
mably be the 30D's replacement - and the 20D's "true" successor. The 30D would never have been a new model in the old days of Canon. I would have been called the 20Dn or something like that.

My guess is that Canon will let the 30D run it's natural life (2 years or so), and then see how the market looks.

Mattw

Slaterm
Slaterm  8496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 1:12 PM

stop talking about such tempting possibilities - my marriage won't sustain any further camera purchasing - more addictive than cigarettes

but if full frame 30D comes out - does anyone want a well loved 20D and EF-s lens?!

Superficial
27 Jul 2006 - 1:26 PM

Quote: Assuming the 5D is retained, the 50D would presumably be the 30D's replacement - and the 20D's "true" successor. The 30D would never have been a new model in the old days of Canon. It would have been called the 20Dn or something like that.

I for one prefer the new naming system. Having all these suffixes (1Ds MkII...) is confusing. They've got at least another six cameras (40d, 50d) etc before they run out of numbers, at which time they can come up with a new system of nomenclature.

If they bring out a 1000+ successor to both the 30D and the 5D, there will be a huge gap between the entry-level SLR at ~400-500 and the "next better" option, which I can't see them doing.

Just my two cents.

Carabosse
27 Jul 2006 - 1:44 PM

It will be around 800 or less. It won't be more than the current 30D.

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 2:23 PM

My guess is that there is a market for a full frame camera at about the same price as a D200, So just over 1,000 to upset Nikon, then a crop camera like the D30 at under 700, and an entry level camera 350D at about 400. It is a big enough gap and enough of a step in capability to justify the models and keep sales.

Carabosse
27 Jul 2006 - 2:54 PM

We've got to remember that the bulk of the DSLR market is at entry level: Canon are churning out around 130,000 units of the 350D........... a month!

Upgrading to a higher spec body is extra profit for Canon. But upgrade + at least one new lens, means even more profit.

Even those who have entirely 'full frame lenses' on their crop DSLRs may find there's an uncomfortable gap in their line up once they have to go FF. Again more potential profit for Canon. You can see a certain method in this madness!

Also Canon executives would be less than human if they didn't want to infuriate competitors like Nikon (and now Sony) by offering something these firms have no equivalent of, and at a normalish DSLR price.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 3:04 PM

as the Eos 1d mk 2 n is getting scarce in some places ie Jessops cant source them, I would think a new one a eos 1dmk 3 is possibly on the market. I know hte minute I buy a mk11 n then a new one will be announced and the old one wil lcome down rapidly till they clear the stocks , plus the new one will have loads more pixels ,faster focusing and 12 frames per second plus will work in virtual darkness at speed in execess of 3200 asa with no grain

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123855 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 3:07 PM

Sony ... are you there? Go on upset Messrs C&N Smile

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2006 - 4:06 PM

Now an upgraded 30D type camera with a 1.3 crop would be good, the wide angle would be wide enough and the crop would still be ok for longer lenses.

Why would the new ID mk 3 have loads more pixels Paul? I am not disagreeing with you I just would have thought that most of the people the eos 1D mk 3 would be aimed at would not require a large pixel count and would prefer to have smaller files.

Carabosse
27 Jul 2006 - 4:40 PM

I think about 3-4 months ago it was rumoured that the 1Ds Mk III would have 18Mp - a cosmetic 8%, and probably utterly pointless, increase in resolution.

I do not know what the latest rumour is! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.