Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is there such a camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Scottelly
Scottelly  135 forum posts United States
7 Nov 2012 - 4:06 AM

All you need to do is set your camera to M mode mate. M means Manual mode, and then you set the aperture manually, the shutter speed manually, and the ISO manually. There are cameras that have an auto ISO mode, which can be used in conjunction with manual mode, so the exposure is still controlled by the camera, which allows you to control the depth of field and the motion blur (if any), and still have automatic exposure, if you want to use such a function.

Trying to make a camera operate simply, while giving manual control is like trying to make a race car ride like a limo. It's paradoxical, and just doesn't make much sense. Modern cameras are really not as complicated as you think, once you start playing around with them. It just seems overwhelming at first. Play, and you'll find yourself "discovering" all the amazing things these new cameras can do, which gives you more creative options!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Nov 2012 - 4:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56286 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 8:36 AM

I'm still not totally sure what the OP was asking.
If you want a fully manual camera, all cameras now have that option
If you want a camera without the distraction of scene modes and (semi-)auto - what is the advantage of excluding them. Just set the mode dial to 'M'?
If you want a camera with wheels instead of buttons, my 30D and 7D use the two control wheels

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 10:02 AM

Quote: I'm still not totally sure what the OP was asking.

Given the OP already uses Leica and Nikon digital cameras, on which full manual operation is possible, it does seem an unclear question.

No doubt he will clarify in due course. Smile

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123895 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 11:35 AM

I feel that the OP's question was centred around using dials as opposed to buttons, wheels and menu systems to control a camera. In my view there are no rights and wrongs it is down to personal preference; whilst my DSLRs utilise a system of buttons, control wheels and menus I find my new (s/h) Fuji X100 a refreshing change with a dial for shutter speeds and a lens aperture ring and a screw in shutter button.... I was going to get rid of my old cable releases, now they have a new lease of life.

For me either system is just a means to an end.

Peter.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41192 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 12:10 PM

As I read it, the OP wants a camera like an FM2, only digital. Sometimes it's an aesthetics thing, sometimes it's a tactile thing and sometimes you are so familiar with a system you want to stick with it.

The only thing that comes close to a manual mechanical camera is a digital Leica M or the Fuji X Pro 1. As far as I know, they are the only cameras with both shutter speed dial and aperture control ring on the lens, plus manual focus lens as primary controls only.

The Leica D Lux 5/Lumix LX5 (which the OP has, apparently?) fulfils the requirements of full manual control but the controls are on a command dial, which is multifunction.

Nick

Madhatter58
7 Nov 2012 - 12:48 PM

You're right Sooty_1 all I wanted to know was there such a camera like a digital FM2. Fully aware of how to set up digital cameras and that Leica M's have the shutter speed dial etc. Unfortunately can't afford Leica M's. Good debate though I think.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 3:21 PM

This is about the cheapest that handles just like a film camera.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-finepix-x100-black-digital-camera/p15225...

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41192 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 4:36 PM

I tried one, and it was really good. If you can live with a fixed 35mm focal length, I'd recommend one.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.