Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is theresuch a thing as an AFFORDABLE fast lens for gig photography.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi folks,

is there a fast lens out there for gig photography under 200 second hand?

It would have to be a 52mm fit.

At present I'm using a Nikkor : 55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6

Not good enough for the job unfortunately.

Thanks in advance ..and any other advice for gig photography would be hugely helpful................... really struggling to work out the right settings.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Mar 2013 - 12:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72278 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:04 PM

50mm F1.8

The 85mm is over your budget, but the 50mm would be you best bet for your budget.
    Yes it means you have to get closer than with a zoom, but that is the compromise.

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:18 PM

You have got some shots which look really good in your portfolio, you say not good enough, I guess you need to print large?
    If you need a long lens, 200mm say, you could look at manual focus Nikkor. You would get a manual focus 200mm F4 on ebay which would give much better results than your zoom. Or a shorter auto 50mm f1.8 or even f1.4
    nikkor auto focus. I have a Nikkor 35-70mm constant f2.8 auto focus which is very good, according to Ken Rockwell approaches the quality of the latest 24-70mm f2.8 which costs 1300 or something like.
    You can pick one up for 200 - 300 on ebay. Have you looked at Ken Rockwell's site for ideas`?
    Ian

Newdevonian
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:19 PM

Question: Are you on board the gig, or on shore taking shots of the gigs? I have seen older 80 - 200 F2.8 Zooms for around 200 on eBay

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:34 PM

Hey Gareth just drink less cider at the gig and hey presto the fotaes will improve Tongue

Rod

UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2013 - 1:55 PM

Hi Arhb ..... I've very kindly been given an old 50mm 1.4 .................. The venues I usually go to, I can get to the front of ..... and also, for my gig later in the month, have band press pass.
    ..was just unsure if the 50mm would get "close" enough...... only one way to find out I guess!!

Hi Ian Crowson,
    Thanks for the kind comments on my portfolio.... quite happy with daylight portraitst, but if you look at my last photo, I had to use a 3 second exposure..handheld!!!!!!!! and it was the only photo from a set rescuable taken a various settings :-(
    It's not for the printing, just for personal satisfaction...
    I'll check Ken's site again now....thankyou ..really appreciate the advice & input Smile

Hi New Devonian. i usually take photos from front row..... have photo pass for next gig in a few weeks.

as they are "proper" rock/ metal bands, lightins is always minimal to say the least....... the last gig, there were three tiny red lights in the whole place :-(

Hey Widtink....
    how you doing Rod..you know me to well :-p

thewilliam
    3 Mar 2013 - 2:46 PM

Take a look at the Samyang 85mm f1.4 which combines good performance with low price.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2013 - 3:50 PM

Yes hundreds, legacy lenses + adaptors.

thewilliam
    3 Mar 2013 - 4:36 PM

There are plenty of fast Nikon manual-focus primes and, just a few years ago, they were almost given away. Now more users have realised their quality and usefulness, the prices are firming up. The Nikon 50mm f1.4 or f1.2, 85mm f1.4 and 105mm f1.8 are now quite expensive.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 3 Mar 2013 - 4:37 PM
    UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2013 - 4:49 PM

Thankyou folks Smile

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2013 - 5:02 PM

Do you mean shooting gig racing or at concerts?

If youre interested in manual focus, you might pick up a decent 180 f/2.8 manual focus, one of the best medium telephotos going, or even an older 135. If these are too long, I highly recommend a 105 f2.5 or an 85 f/2, both excellently sharp and relatively small....ie easy to manage in difficult situations.

Nick

UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2013 - 5:21 PM

hi Sooty.

My apologies, I meant low (very) light indoor band photography.
    I'm checking the lenses you have mentioned right this moment..thankyou Smile

Newdevonian
    3 Mar 2013 - 6:16 PM

AAhhh! Being of a certain age and in the West Country, I wrongly assumed that you were talking of gigs of the nautical variety. You don''t specify what format you are shooting, but assuming a D2, I would have thought that a 50mm F1.4 would have been ideal, assuming front row. 90mm on Tri X worked for me with Adam Faith!

UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2013 - 6:22 PM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9IkVLTM6Y[/youtube

]Hi folks...this is the band that I'm phtographing at the end of the month...and on a similar stage :

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.