Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is this a new 'SCAM' ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pentaxpete
    28 May 2012 - 2:58 PM

Just had a phone calf from an 'ASIAN' gent ( as usual ! ) who says he is getting a report that my TalktAlk 'IP ADDRESS' is 'Not Secure' and have I given it out to anyone -- well, we have had a lot of Talktalk trouble over two wqeeks where teh phone line was dead and the Internet was on and off but a techniciam who finally came said it was OUTSIDE and BT had to get a new line installed from the pavement --- now this new bloke KNEW my NAME, ADDRESS with POst Code etc etc but I had my suspicions and asked him ( When the line from India or Pakistan was not 'breaking up' ) " How do I know you ARE from Talktalk" ?
    WEll he gave me his name as 'Daniel and an ID number and a Landline ( British Number ) so I have sent an e-mail to TalkTalk Customer service about this as 'Daniel' said he could 'give me a NEW IP ADDRESS' -- probably wanted to know the OLD ONE !first !! Any members here had this call ??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 May 2012 - 2:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    28 May 2012 - 3:11 PM

Have not had a call but you have done EXACTLY the correct thing.

billydo
    billydo e2 Member 1178 forum postsbillydo vcard United Kingdom
    28 May 2012 - 3:12 PM

Yes it's a scam. It's been discussed on other forums.

ikett
    ikett  3329 forum posts England
    28 May 2012 - 3:38 PM

IP addresses for home computers are assigned on connection to your ISP on a random basis, only servers have fixed addresses. There is however a new trojan/worm/nastie that if a machine is on a local network wired/wireless, displays a pop up saying, "another computer on the network has the same IP address click here to resolve the problem".
    Pretty cute this one, don't know what it actually does, but got through our company firewall but the hardwall out blocked it and wouldn't let us track it back, sent report to MS and Norton.
    We're assuming it's a band width hack but not sure.

pentaxpete
    28 May 2012 - 3:46 PM

Thanks for QUICK Reply !! Mind a bit more at ease !!

thewilliam
    28 May 2012 - 5:21 PM

The engineer who installed our wide-format printer chose a "random" IP address which just happened to be the same as one of the computers on the network. There was no way he could have known because the offending computer was off sick during the printer installation and someone hadn't logged the IP addresses.

We get frequent scam phone calls that start, "your windows computer is faulty ........"

KevSB
    KevSB  101405 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2012 - 6:00 PM

IP addresses for home computers are assigned on connection to your ISP on a random basis, only servers have fixed addresses.

Incorrect

Ntl has fixed Ips, Ive had the same one for years

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2012 - 6:21 PM

You seem to attract more spam than most.
    I recall when someone sent an email that would repair your registry remotely.

ikett
    ikett  3329 forum posts England
    28 May 2012 - 6:51 PM

Interesting, as NTL became Virgin media in 2007, the company National Transcommunications Limited, was based in Ireland. But a US company.

If you do have a fixed IP address, one of our servers does, 30 quids worth of anti-virus software won't protect you.

KevSB
    KevSB  101405 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    28 May 2012 - 7:31 PM

I call it Ntl out of habit, your correct as its now Virgin, Although I still use my NTL mail addresses, and yes its a fixed IP, Bt also offer Static Ip

Home broadband users have the option of either a dynamic IP address, where new sets of numbers are assigned at regular intervals, or a static IP address, where your computer keeps the same address each time you go online

Last Modified By KevSB at 28 May 2012 - 7:34 PM
    losbarbados
    28 May 2012 - 9:51 PM

Quote: I call it Ntl out of habit, your correct as its now Virgin, Although I still use my NTL mail addresses, and yes its a fixed IP, Bt also offer Static Ip

Home broadband users have the option of either a dynamic IP address, where new sets of numbers are assigned at regular intervals, or a static IP address, where your computer keeps the same address each time you go online

That fixed IP is more by luck than design.

The ip address is allocated when your router connects to the WAN, and is leased for a fixed period (around 90 days is the norm) and that lease doesn't start until you disconnect from the internet.

Nowadays in the wonderful world of broadband everyone has an effective static ip, simply because no one disconnects from the www anymore so the 5 offer from O2 is a waste of money really

pentaxpete
    29 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just had am e-mail from TalkTalk and it WAS a scam !! The lady said TalkTalk do NOT telephone customers about their IP address in fact they assign a different one every time I re-boot the computer --- she has checked my account and my details are secure and she was pleased I did not give out any more details than the ones they already knew such as my Name, Telephone Number, Post Code, E-mail address with Talktalk.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.