Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is this a rip off

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    STUARTHILL758
    13 Nov 2003 - 3:51 PM

my cannon eos100 has developed a fault so i popped down to jessops 105.0 to service plus a bit more for any parts right i say how much will i get for a trade in when this is done i say they say 80.0 is there mug righten on my forehead

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Nov 2003 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robob
    robob  101022 forum posts England
    13 Nov 2003 - 4:00 PM

Try an independent repairer, there are a few advertised in the back of Practical Photography, You will get the price nearer to 50 quid.

aworan
    aworan  10145 forum posts
    13 Nov 2003 - 4:16 PM

Yep.. you might want to look around other indie repairers, Stu. I had a similar problem. Turns out it would have cost me more just to repair than even buy a better lens, which i ended up doing...

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2003 - 5:32 PM

Not a rip off Stuart but a fact of commercial life.

Jessops aren't a charity and cannot charge you less just because your camera is not worth the money and equally they can't offer more on a trade in just because they feel sorry for you.

Barrie

ukbillok
    ukbillok  11
    13 Nov 2003 - 6:27 PM

They dont build em like they used to, how long will digitals perform?
    bill

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2003 - 6:35 PM

What on earth do you mean by that Bill.

Digtal is a technology not a "make" or "construction type" so in itself the statement is meaningless

Elucidate Smile

Barrie

robob
    robob  101022 forum posts England
    13 Nov 2003 - 6:55 PM

When Jessops take in a repair, apparently they send them to an outside repair company and simply put 40% on the bill. So cut out the middle man.

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2003 - 8:58 PM

Jessops have never been know for cheapness when selling, only when buying, but they do offer good backup. The offered me 40 for my E10 that I later sold for 400

Barry

j
    j  1038 forum posts
    13 Nov 2003 - 10:27 PM

I certainly wouldn't go to my local Jessops for any advice. Half the people employed there look down their noses at you if you don't understand the jargon and the other half haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Having said that they do develop good photos, although they don't do 6X4 'in house' any more. You have to get the bigger (more expensive) 7x5 if you don't want your film put into the hands of a delivery driver and Kodak! Ho hum!

pj.morley
    pj.morley  11947 forum posts
    14 Nov 2003 - 1:13 AM

40.00 for am E-10.. I'll have one of those Wink

Nokin of Nonac
    14 Nov 2003 - 8:33 AM

J

Jessops still do 6x4 in house it is just some stores have more work coming in than the lab has production time available so 6x4 is sent to Kodak to keep it all running.

As for only being offered 40 for an E10 it maust have been knackerd as the current trade in value is 250 to 290 depending on condition. Most people also forget that when a second hand camera is traded in at Jessops there has to be a mark up to make a profit and if the camera takes weeks to sell due to the constant flow of new models it will end up being sold for less than purchased for. Also Jessops give a 12month warranty on used equipment which most others give only 3 or at best 6 months.

Baz

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2003 - 10:07 AM

The E10 was in perfect working order, it was replaced in its box with all cabling and accessories. Do you think someone would pay 400 for a camera that was knackered?

Barry

STUARTHILL758
    14 Nov 2003 - 7:03 PM

thanks for the replys ill look about but it made a bit of a stir stuart

tragicharpy
    16 Nov 2003 - 3:42 PM

put it this way

i bought a sony f717 last week from jessops it was up at 899 u paid 504 hmm

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.