Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Is This Acceptable?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Gone off topic and discussing individual member

SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
2 Sep 2013 12:46PM
I was going to post this in the gallery but then I wondered whether this type of shot, being children (not mine), is acceptable these days. It was taken in a very busy tourist area and I was particularly looking for people shots, so I wasn't taking travel or tourist images. It's a bit of a minefield as I like candid photography, but does this cross a line where children are concerned?

p1010639-resized.jpg

If you think it's not acceptable mods, please feel free to take it down. Just trying to get some indication. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
2 Sep 2013 12:48PM
Why do you think it is not acceptable, and what line do you think this crosses?
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
2 Sep 2013 12:50PM
Just taking pictures of other people's children without permission. I know in itself it's a harmless shot, but some people may think any candid shot of children might not be quite the thing these days.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 12:51PM
Yes, it is acceptable.
And if anyone says 'no' I would be interested to know why for reasons other than 'someone else may be offended'.
NaturesHaven e2
3 254 5 England
2 Sep 2013 1:01PM
I see nothing wrong, we have become so paranoid about taking pictures of children that sometimes I stop breathing when I pass them......GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

They are playing and having fun..............carry on taking your candids, don't be afraid..............GrinGrinGrinGrin
AlanJ e2
1 426 England
2 Sep 2013 1:07PM
I think it's perfectly acceptable but sadly I would be reluctant to take a photo like that fearing a hostile reaction from the parents.
What strikes me as odd is that the parents weren't arrested by the H&S police for allowing their children to have fun (doing what children have done forever) without a rubberised mat underneath and helmets.
tamasalucy 4 141 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 1:13PM
why would you not take photos like these i see nothing offensive. if you did see something offensive with this photo it would be self censorship gone mad and if any one else can see a problem with this then i would question their state of mind.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 1:17PM
There is nothing illegal about taking pictures of children in public places however we live in such a paranoid society that it is highly inadvisable; with kids around I visibly avoid taking pictures of them.

Go to Turkey, there parents will hold their children up for you to photograph them; you may not of course want those images but nobody worries about you taking pictures of kids there; I note even in France there was no problem.

Peter.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 1:23PM

Quote: but does this cross a line where children are concerned?

....not for me it doesn't.... and I think it's an excellent shot,

....If you post it in the gallery and mark it for modifications I'd like to change the background for something more interesting. Smile
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 1:24PM

Quote:I think it's perfectly acceptable but sadly I would be reluctant to take a photo like that fearing a hostile reaction from the parents.

I understand what you mean - and when I have been sat watching kids play and smiled at their antics, I have been pleasantly surprised several times when the parents say (unbidden) that it is OK to take photos. There is no reason at all that I should be 'pleasantly surprised' other than the pervading paranoia we all feel - and maybe we are ascribing feelings to parents that are not really there (or very, very rare).
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2013 1:26PM

Quote:....If you post it in the gallery and mark it for modifications I'd like to change the background for something more interesting. Smile

Superimpose on a picture of King Louie? Grin (cue that song...)
AlanJ e2
1 426 England
2 Sep 2013 1:32PM

Quote:Why would you not take photos like these i see nothing offensive. if you did see something offensive with this photo it would be self censorship gone mad and if any one else can see a problem with this then i would question their state of mind.

I agree but it's the sad, paranoid world we live in. I recently attended our local village fete and took a picture of the tug of war. I was quite pleased with it and intended to email it to the local rag to see if they were interested as they feature pictures from local contributors for the local news. When I read the terms of acceptance which included a statement that everone in the picture had given permission for its publication I didn't bother. Not sure where I stand really because it's posted in the B&W group and my PF Tongue
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
2 Sep 2013 1:39PM
I have to say, when I took the shot my main thought was, as AlanJ said, where's the rubber mat. Grin Whatever you photograph or do these days, there always seems to be some rule or regulation attached to it. I guess I'll just carry on, and if anyone does object then I'll delete or remove.

I'd be interested to see an alternative background though MikeRC. Feel free to have a go. You can take it from here. Grin
petebfrance 2 1.3k France
2 Sep 2013 1:55PM
Yes, I agree about the sad paranoid world and all that, but I also do wonder what on earth anybody would want to take photos of other people's children for. My kids are grown up now, but I have to admit I would have wondered about 'why.' It is natural for parents to be protective of their offspring. Protective against what? Who knows, but then again they don't know why the photographer is doing it, and yes the photographer may be a perfectly nice, wonderfull, warm human being but how on earth are the parents to know that?

It's odd, really, that at first I was somewhat taken aback by the French approach where it appears that everybody has copyright of their own image (and house etc., all rather complicated really) but 'as an individual' I rather like the idea that - after all, I'm sure there have been times when I've done something or other that some smart-a** would think amusing enough to splash across the internet (what an idiot-style, ugly old git or whatever) One of the rules for submitting photos to Chasseur d'Images (the magazine) is that a model release form (well, the French equivalent) is needed for anybody included who 'could be recognised' from the photo. As a photographer I don't like it, but as the possible object (did I scratch in public?) I think it's great.
indemnity 6 331
2 Sep 2013 2:02PM
I don't think it's acceptable, what were the parents doing letting them carry on like this? No respect for property. Wink