Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is This Acceptable?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Gone off topic and discussing individual member
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 5:21 PM

Putting the legal rights and wrongs aside for a moment, Take a step back and think what the parent sees....A stranger taking photos of there children, In this day and age where the fear of abduction ect is very high thanks to the media, Most parents will be horrified and in some cases may retort to violence or least report you to the police who will be duty bound to check you out, we then get the police/photographer confrontation which then hits the headlines.
The fact is right or wrong its a confrontational situation which you choose to take the risk, I wouldn't personally as the above outcomes would spoil my hobby. Ihave enough respect for parents that I wouldent want to alarm them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Sep 2013 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 5:27 PM

Well I think I will steer clear of kids from now on, but I can't see how it can be policed or even noticed by anyone in such crowded places as tourist spots in the middle of London. And I wasn't hiding in any way. Grown ups only from now on though. Grin

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
2 Sep 2013 - 6:18 PM

Even posing the question demonstrates how sick society has become.
I'm horrified how so many parents are incapable of looking after their children
Parents could do with acting as parents. Abductions and children running into roads are the fault of parents.

Back to the picture, its a public place, click away.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 2 Sep 2013 - 6:19 PM
thewilliam
2 Sep 2013 - 6:55 PM

Quote: I'm horrified how so many parents are incapable of looking after their children
Parents could do with acting as parents. Abductions and children running into roads are the fault of parents.

Recently, when a car was in collision with a 10 year old who ran into the road without looking, the motorist was held to be partly responsible and the insurer had to pay damages. These days, everything is somebody else's fault if one has a good lawyer!

dcash29
2 Sep 2013 - 8:25 PM

Quote: These days, everything is somebody else's fault if one has a good lawyer!

Don't you mean being eligible for legal aid

beeza410
beeza410  432 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 10:05 PM

Please see 14833-photographyinpublicplaces-copy--3-.jpg it is a credit size copy that I always keep on me in my bag

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2013 - 11:34 PM

No its not a good idea to use this image, The little blighter on the left has dropped his cap....Smile

Personally I would have made him put it on and take the shot again....Grin

But then I'm a stickler for detail....Wink

Seriously though...There is no reason what so ever for not doing what you will with this image, In fact there is every reason to post, We have to get rid of the paranoia bogeyman who might see something wrong with such an image.

That said the woman in the background ( Directly behind left kiddies left foot ) looks none to happy, But she may have been thinking she was the target, Or she just looks that way naturally..Grin

Who knows...

Last Modified By cameracat at 2 Sep 2013 - 11:34 PM
KevSB
3 Sep 2013 - 12:07 AM

It's such a shame that its come to this, the tragedy is 100 years from now these sources oh what will be a record of the times will be lost.
You have done nothing wrong and posting it is perfectly fine, my own fear would be the taking at the time.
About 20 years ago I was at a outdoor museum, and a child was climbing over one of the outside wooden exhibits/statues , as it looked so innocent just like this did, out of respect I asked if they didn't mind me taking a picture, bearing in mind that this was not a play thing.
The mother screamed no and looked right down on me. In hindsight it seems stupid thing to ask now.

I once saw a women approach a photographer and said with a big lens like that he must be a phedofile. To some its like water off a ducks back but I don't feel comfortable with confrontation so don't bother now.

dcash29
3 Sep 2013 - 12:32 AM

I blame the media mainly, it has quite a lot to answer for in this country.

KevSB
3 Sep 2013 - 7:39 AM

Quote: I blame the media mainly, it has quite a lot to answer for in this country.

In a nutshell, Its not actual crime or problem, That's been going on longer than most of us have been taking pictures, what's changed is the type of reporting where drama seems more important than fact and what we call " the fear of crime" is worse than the crime itself.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2013 - 7:51 AM

playing devils advocate a bit here but there is one consideration not covered here, Child Protection Orders, they dont come with a badge or are labelled as such and can be often be doing as 'normal' families do. But they are not the same and putting an image of a child on the internet, in these days of sharing, has the potential to put a child at risk especially if details of location are recorded.

Living in the days of digital its easier for images to end up in all sorts of places, and I guess some parents might just want control over where images of their children end up.

I hate my picture being taken and some strange man in a bar came up and just started taking pictures of him, I said no, politely but he insisted and kept going I got quite annoyed and in the end the barman had to step in and get him to stop - why should it come to that - why cant no mean no without having a rights card thrown down.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2013 - 8:22 AM

Quote: some strange man in a bar came up and just started taking pictures of him, I said no, politely but he insisted and kept going

Yes, that is totally unacceptable and very odd that he didn't stop when you asked him.

I'm glad I asked the question now and the posts above have certainly made me more aware of what I do when I'm out and about. Even a middle-aged, harmless woman can these days be made to feel like a criminal, which is sad, but I can understand why some people may not want their children photographed uninvited. I think it may also be a question of distance. In public places it's hard to avoid children at times but I can't see a problem if you avoid zooming in or doing close ups, so there's no need to get too paranoid about it. Just be mindful and carry on.

AlanJ
AlanJ e2 Member 1417 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
3 Sep 2013 - 9:26 AM

Quote: Yes, I agree about the sad paranoid world and all that, but I also do wonder what on earth anybody would want to take photos of other people's children for..........

I don't like looking at pictures of other people's children as there is no connection. However I really like the picture posted above because there is a narrative. It shows that despite all the advances and X boxes kids still do what they've always done. If there's a puddle they step in it, if there's a stone or can they'll kick it and if there is a horizontal bar they'll hang from it. If this was B&W it could have been taken any time in the last 60 years.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023020 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hang on. So nobody can take photos of children anymore because any one of those children might be subject to a Child Protection Order?

How about an adult covered by the Witness Protection System?

End of street photography.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315338 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2013 - 3:46 PM

Quote: I hate my picture being taken and some strange man in a bar came up and just started taking pictures of him, I said no, politely but he insisted and kept going I got quite annoyed and in the end the barman had to step in and get him to stop - why should it come to that - why cant no mean no without having a rights card thrown down

Even in a public place we all have a right to a certain amount of privacy, just because you have a camera and it is a public place it does not give you an automatic right to take pictures and upset people, you can get arrested and charged for this.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Gone off topic and discussing individual member