Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is this lens a good compromise?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mark1b
    mark1b  230 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jan 2013 - 10:09 AM

I was lookin at Panasonic Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens and second on my list is Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ES-M 17mm 1.2.8 Silver Pancake Lens but then i was on ebay looking at something else ans saw this Panasonic H-H014E Lumix G Pancake Lens (14 mm, F2.5 Wide-Angle)for around 130 i thought would make a good compromise. What do you guys think? I originally wanted something around the 18-19mm mark for landscape photography.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2013 - 10:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56691 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2013 - 10:51 AM

If the choice is driven by landscapes, I don't think 18mm/20mm is wide enough for capturing vistas unless you stitch photos together. The 14mm is a decent lens for the money (I have one on my GX1).

mark1b
    21 Jan 2013 - 4:09 PM

Cheers for the reply mike. what lens would you recommend? its really landscape and nature. I'm hopefully going Cornwall in a few months so would like a pretty good lens for that and where i live. there will be lots of photo opportunities hope in decent weather

mikehit
    mikehit  56691 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2013 - 4:28 PM

I think 14mm is fine for landscapes - it is a good compromise on both cost as well as field of view: it gives a field of view about half as wide again as the unaided human eye so you still get the feeling of expanse, but it is not so wide that you have to be really careful about composition. I have images of the Himalayas taken with 28mm on film SLR (same field of view) and not once did I wish I had wider.

Some will say that 14mm on MFT is 'not that wide' - true, it is not as wide as you can get but given that wider lenses are 500 (for the Olympus 9-18mm) and up, if you want wider, it is no problem to take a series of images and stitch them (an you can get decent tripods for about 100 to help).

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2013 - 7:30 PM

I would agree with Mike and go for the 14mm.

Later if you still feel you need something between 17 and 20 the sigma 19mm works out at great value for 106.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sigma-19mm-f2-8-ex-dn-lens-micro-four-thirds-...

mark1b
    23 Jan 2013 - 3:47 PM

Cheers Mike and Paul i will be trying to get the pana 14mm. ill see later in the year what my next lens i will get as i do fancy a couple of prime lenses . i do fancy the sigma 19mm for the price as that was originally on my list but i like the pancakes more to do with being able to put the camera in my coat pocket.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.