Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Is This The End For Jessops

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 8862 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 2:41 PM

Jessops are going into voluntary liquidation on Thursday 21/01/2010 do you think this is the end of the road for their high street stores?
link

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jan 2010 - 2:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 2:53 PM

Probably, Its been on the cards for some time.

Although its a shame, It was inevitable when they got to big and to top heavy, Thier running costs killed thier profit, Hence they could not compete on pricing, That and a lot of bad PR made the outcome fairly obvious.

Sparkleson
18 Jan 2010 - 2:53 PM

Not quite - Jessops PLC are going into voluntary liquidation, but the high street chain was sold to private company "Snap Equity" last September.

minicooper
18 Jan 2010 - 2:58 PM

Looks like it. Sad I've spend many hours in their stores. Yesterday I was jn Manchester and Jessops are part of a Whsmiths store,how the mighly have fallen!

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 5:01 PM

I said in a strop to the manager of our local jessops, your store will be gone by 6 months time, how true .............................
god I must be a fortune teller

Kris_Dutson
18 Jan 2010 - 5:17 PM

I just hope I never upset you then Paul. Wink

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 18 Jan 2010 - 5:17 PM
jonah794
jonah794  41723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 5:17 PM

In Watford, they have a Jessops in the WHsmith shop, and they have another one just round the corner. The Jessops in smith's is awful - cheap compacts and useless workers. The Jessops round the corner is fantastic - experts, lenses SLRs and filters!! Sadly, a large majority of the population choose the former over the latter, and thus - we are going to see more of these WHSmith stores with a Jessops inside, and we will be seeing a decline in the high-street shops. Saying that though - whenever I am in the Jessops 'round the corner', there are a lot of people in there - so I guess they are doing quite well. Two days ago they got a 1178 from me so that should help them a little bit Smile

Clactonian
Clactonian e2 Member 887 forum postsClactonian vcard United Kingdom
18 Jan 2010 - 5:38 PM

For an explanation look HERE

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53529 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 5:38 PM

To echo sparkleson:
Jessops plc has issued a statement emphasising it no longer owns the high street photographic chain, which was sold to private company Snap Equity on September 28.
18 January 2010 @ 12:13 pm BST
Next Markets Article
link
The statement follows recent press coverage concerning the ownership of Jessops Group, which operates 213 shops.
It says the proposed members' voluntary liquidation of Jessops plc will have no effect on trading of the Jessop Group.
Final date for acceptance of proxy forms to vote on the proposed MVL is next Tuesday, January 19.
Story provided by Business Financial Newswire

redsnappa
redsnappa  111898 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Jan 2010 - 5:49 PM

Not surprised at all, the last time I passed by jessops in Birmingham (30the Dec 09) there was not one camera on display in their window, just adverts for their sale and for compact cameras.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2010 - 5:58 PM

Interesting - so the shops are no longer owned by Jessops however they appear to be dropping stock left right and centre. I get the feeling that the new trading group might be moving more toward a deal with WHsmiths and downsizing jessops shops into catering for the compact shooting market. It would certainily explain why they no longer warehouse stock much of the DSLR type of products and instead appear to be ordering direct from the manufacturers for each order.
A shame to lose them, but it might open up the market again in towns for their independant shops or for another chain in the (growing) DSLR market.

Jay44
Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
18 Jan 2010 - 6:36 PM

Another company whom I used to use, bites the dust. Glad I am out of it now.

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61227 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
18 Jan 2010 - 7:02 PM

It's a shame a high street brand may go to become a "concession" in WH Smith shops. Personally I never use WH Smiths so unlikely to give anymore money to Jessops if that's where they end up. One of the pluses was, if you knew what you wanted they could get it for you, albeit on order. Most of the "camera/photographic" shops I've visited in this area (and there aren't many) are not helpful and run by rude elderly men. They either ignore you, as a young woman, or they talk to you condescendingly as if you couldn't possibly know what you're talking about. (hubby says I'm not so young anymore!!!!)
Lyn

steve_p
steve_p  81090 forum posts England
18 Jan 2010 - 7:25 PM

Just to clarify, the business was restructured some time ago, the business was effectively sold to a company run by the bankers and others.
Jessops as we know it will continue to trade- the WH Smith concessions are just that- concessions.
There will still be standalone branches and jessops.com.
Many people on this site would revel in it if Jessops did fold but the bank sees it as a quite unique business and has pledged its support.
Quote: Most of the "camera/photographic" shops I've visited in this area (and there aren't many) are not helpful and run by rude elderly men. They either ignore you, as a young woman, or they talk to you condescendingly as if you couldn't possibly know what you're talking about.

You havent been to my Jessops branch where the elderly man(me!) does not ignore women of any age nor do I talk condescendingly to them.
On the whole I find the ladies are much easier to talk to- the men come in trying to show off and end up talking a load of b*****ks.

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61227 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
18 Jan 2010 - 7:52 PM

Hi Steve, It wasn't Jessops I was slating , they are normally as helpful as their knowledge allows. It was small independent camera shops that are nigh on useless. I've been ignored, missed in the queue while they served a long lost mate and talked to as if I should go home to the kitchen sink. I have to say I am big enough and bad enough to let them know that they can stick it and I take my custom elsewhere!!! Wink
Great to know the shops will definitely still be around.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.