Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

is this what optical x24 should look like?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pablophotographer

1-p1050010.jpg

Hello friends.

I am a little bit uncertain about the images I get from the end of the optical zoom of my DMC-FZ45 Panasonic bridge camera (x24). It may be the settings that I have had during shooting the moon (handheld, since unfortunately it was not a planned shot) Does your optical zoom perform better? It is still under guarantee, should I send it back to be checked? The picture uploaded with the UV filter taken off. In the digital zoom it must have been my manual setting on time that created a totally crap pic due to camera shaking although the function was turned on automatic. Any suggestions? Settings 100 iso, manual focus to infinity, auto white balance, aperture f8

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Sep 2012 - 10:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coffeyboy
    Coffeyboy  9 Scotland
    1 Oct 2012 - 1:09 AM

Hi!

I do not own this camera but the image looks out of focus rather than being a lens issue. Camera shake tends to produce linear streaks across an image.
    From my own experience to get the moon in focus the lens must be focused slightly closer than infinity.

I suggest you do a controlled test shot in the daytime looking at an object with recognizable sharp features such as a distant clock face for example.
    Also use a tripod, a remote (or self-timer), shoot wide open and use manual focus with digital zoom turned off.
    In addition, have any lens stabilization turned off.

Good luck! Smile

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62477 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    1 Oct 2012 - 6:33 AM

I do not think, based on the picture, there is anything wrong with the camera Smile
    If you used auto focus to focus, auto focus often needs more contrast than in this shot to focus accurate.
    My money is on the camera AF failing to focus at the right distance due to a less than ideal AF subject, resulting in out of focus softness.
    The remedy is manual focus.
    Hand holding probably did not help either although, as already mentioned, no indication of a double image against the black of the sky suggests camera shake was not a main cause of the softness.

RogBrown
    RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 9:11 AM

Why have you started two threads on the same subject?

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Oct 2012 - 10:48 AM

Quote: Why have you started two threads on the same subject?

My guess is one of two reasons.....Grin

First may be down to the " Short " time lag between post one and post two, The OP may have thought the first post had failed, As they do not appear in the listing instantly.....!!!

Or maybe its a case of impatience....Smile

Err on the side of my first guess, Because I have seen the time lag between posting and appearing first hand......Wink

Maybe a note on the instructions would help those unfamiliar with these things, Something like " Allow 5 or 10 minutes for forum posts to appear in the listings " LOL.....To easy perhaps...!!!

Whatever, Shooting the moon hand held, Not a very bright idea, Just work out the distance from camera to subject, Then translate that into trajectory coordinates, Dial in the information supplied by " Len " and you have a recipe for failure.....Sad

If your going to do a job, Do it properly if you want to increase your chances of success.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.