Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

is your car tweeting you?

thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 10:14AM

Quote:Sometime in the not too distant future, you may receive an alert on your mobile phone. It's your car. It wants to be friends. On Facebook. Sounds crazy, but in a world where cloud computing permeates every aspect of business, it could happen. In fact, it's started already.

Last May Toyota announced plans to create a social network for the company's customers and their cars. Using Chatter, a social networking service designed by cloud giant Salesforce, Toyota's electric and hybrid cars will be able to send alerts, rather like tweets, to their owners about the car's location, battery status and any maintenance that might be needed

New Scientist

So your car is on the driveway and tweets to complain it hasn't been for a run today? Will it talk to your satnav? Imagine you're driving along and in between giving you directions, your satnav is chatting to your car!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
18 Oct 2011 10:24AM

Quote: Imagine you're driving along and in between giving you directions, your satnav is chatting to your car!!

Bit like having a wife in the passenger seat then. Sad
thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 10:27AM
Could you get your mother-in-law to be the voice of your satnav?Tongue
oldblokeh 3 845 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 10:32AM
So what's new? I designed and built my own central heating control system and have had it running for the last four years. It emails me if it detects a problem such as boiler non-ignition, pump not running or valve failure. I can put it into holiday mode and, if I decide to come home early for example, email it to have the house warm and the water hot when I get back. I can't for the life of me see why one would need a new social network to do vehicle to owner communication, though, when email works just as well.

As far as I am aware, though, my controller has not achieved sentience and has not formed a relationship with next door's net-enabled weather station. Grin
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
18 Oct 2011 10:50AM
Cars having mobile phones for communications/ diagnostics has been around for some time now. I'm sure I read the Maclaren F1 had a basic mobile phone connected to the engine managment system that would 'dial' to Maclaren if it had any defects and for the reverse, Maclaren could dial into the car remotely and diagnose any defects.

All this technology filters down into our everyday cars over the years and I would like to hazzard a guess that one day, your cars speed and position will be tracked and monitered 'real time'...................................then you get the speeding ticket land on your doorstep! Wink I just had a thought, it wouldn't land on your doorstep, it will be e-mailed directly to your car, then it can tweet and facebook to everyone!

Andy
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Oct 2011 10:59AM
First car I saw it on was the Porsche 959 back in 1986!
PSILVERMAN 10 1.3k England
21 Oct 2011 6:52PM
Oh God! Now the car's nagging me SadSadSad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.