Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Isle of Arran

Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 3:26PM
Hi,

my wife and I are thinking of spending a week on the Isle of Arran in early February. Neither of us know anyone who has visited so I'm curious if anyone here has been and what your thoughts were?

Photography will play a significant role, I've had a look through the gallery, so any recommended locations would be welcome!

Steve.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
23 Jan 2012 4:49PM
Could be interesting, particularly in February.

I'm not even sure that Arran's populated!
23 Jan 2012 4:56PM

Quote:Could be interesting, particularly in February.

I'm not even sure that Arran's populated!

Not populated? - are you havin a larf??Smile

Arran seems to have 2 types of weather at this time of year, dry and bright or dank and horrible.

Most people around here like the view of Arran from the mainland around Portencross. As for Arran, they call it Scotland in miniature, and the Glen Sannox area is great for walking, but I'd personally go elsewhere. Glencoe, Skye and Mull woukd be my choice.

PM me if required for places to stay.

Andy
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
23 Jan 2012 5:06PM
I haven't been myself yet but have researched and spoke to quite a few folk from work who have. I may go on Thursday if the forecasted high pressure arrives later in the week. Arran has a fabulous mountain range hence the reason I'll be going but from all accounts it is a nice place to visit anyway according to my Scottish colleagues who live close by on the mainland. Brodick is the ferry terminal and main population.

If I was to hazard a guess at what Arran looked like then I would say a bit like Ardgour or Ardnamurchan with some significant bumps with plenty of coastal villages... and of course Arran Jumpers, sweaters or ganzies. Smile

JP
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 6:03PM

Quote:Could be interesting, particularly in February.

We tend to go to Scotland every year at the same time. The past 4 years we have been very lucky with the weather, I also think its a time of year that produces some wonderful colours especially if the weather is a bit mixed. In any case, the wilder the weather the greater the challenge Grin

Quote: I'd personally go elsewhere. Glencoe, Skye and Mull woukd be my choice.

Yep, but we try to go somewhere new each year and have been to the places you mention - with full intention of returning!!

Quote:If I was to hazard a guess at what Arran looked like then I would say a bit like Ardgour or Ardnamurchan

Had two weeks on Ardnamurchan a couple of years ago with blue skies, white sand beaches and turquoise seas - Sanna was like the Caribbean, a touch colder perhaps and lacking in hordes but stunning none the less Grin
23 Jan 2012 7:00PM
Been three times june and september ,its like most places if you get the weather its a lovely place to go to. The walk up to the waterfall from whiting bay is really good , all the little villages have something about them, corrie for its lovely row of houses , the 12 apostles cottages ,lochranza for its castle remains and you will see the deer near the golf course and if your lucky you may see the eagle from the distillery..
Blackwaterfoot has a lovely little harbour.If you feeling fit you could climb up goat fell for the fantastic views from the top weather permitting. Brodick is the main town .
Regarding the photography you have quite a few nice locations easy to find as you can drive around the island in a morning.We really enjoyed our holidays there and for a short journey from lochranza you could take the small ferry over to the mull of kintyre for a day and see the goat fell range of mountains from a distance..

hope this is helpfull.

p.s. the sannox glen is well worth a visit.
23 Jan 2012 7:19PM
may i suggest you type in ARRAN IN SEARCH box and press images and you will get an insite as to what to expect.
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
23 Jan 2012 7:36PM
Concur with everything said by dlp. Arran is lovely and remains relatively unspoilt thanks to the fact it lacks a Munro and is further south than the other islands. From a hill walking perspective it has some of the best ridge walking outside of Skye - the A Chir ridge on the west side of Glen Rosa is spectacular if you get the weather and enjoy that kind of thing. I'd say it was more challenging (and a lot shorter) than Aonach Eagach in Glen Coe - the ridge can be avoided if the weather is crap. Goat Fell summit on a clear day has the most spectacular views too.
The only other thing I can think to add is a wee visit to Kildonan beach in the south and the standing stones at Machrie near Blackwaterfoot on the west.
At least in February if the weather's crap you don't have the double whammy of getting eaten by midgies too!!
Enjoy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.