Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Isle of Skye - Wildlife

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GaZn
GaZn  8175 forum posts Wales
3 Aug 2007 - 1:40 PM

Hello,
I'm off up Scotland this week and i'm planning on visiting Skye for a couple of days.
Does any one know any good places? I'm after wildlife as i'm kind of guessing that the scenery will be everywher!?
Any help and links would be great!
Cheers everyone!
GaZ

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Aug 2007 - 1:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ruralscotland
3 Aug 2007 - 2:34 PM

Depends on where you are staying on the island. Remember that Skye is rather large for travel times on a daily basis.

There is an otter sanctuary at Kylerhea (Kyle-ray), dolphins and porpoises can be seen around the coast. Plenty of seals in Dunvegan, and during the summer months at Ashaig beach.

GaZn
3 Aug 2007 - 2:36 PM

Magic thank you! Dont know wher we'll be staying yet we're going to find a camp site!

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2007 - 3:29 PM

There's one in a handy, central location here.

GaZn
3 Aug 2007 - 4:05 PM

Thank you!!!

ruralscotland
3 Aug 2007 - 5:47 PM

Can be very busy that campsite, there are others at Uig...... http://www.uig-camping-skye.co.uk/

and here near Edinbane.....http://www.skyecamp.com/....have been at this one myself and is very good.

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105971 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2007 - 7:53 PM

I stayed at this campsite many years ago and the location is lovely, looking up the loch. Lots of seals on the shores too, near the Three Chimneys restaurant and there are also boat trips to see the seals from Dunvegan Castle.

Last Modified By jeanie at 3 Aug 2007 - 7:54 PM
John_Wannop
John_Wannop e2 Member 954 forum postsJohn_Wannop vcard Wales
3 Aug 2007 - 8:45 PM

Stayed at the campsite at Uig this year for two nights I had a pitch by the house right by the beach, was watching the Otter right in front of the site. Spoke to the owner about it and he said it has been seen walking down the middle of the site. If it's wildlife your after I would recommend you go over to Mull and book yourself on one of the Wildlife watching tours.

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
3 Aug 2007 - 11:12 PM

Can't give any advice about the camping or wildlife (apart from sheep every where!) but a definite thumbs up for the Three Chimneys (but you'll need to take out a second mortgage, it is supposed to be one of the world's top 50 restaurants). More affordable but also very good is the Old Schoolhouse restaurant in Dunvegan.

Oh the other wildlife to watch out for are the midges at this time of year!

Simon

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105971 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2007 - 11:50 PM

Been to the Three Chimneys three times - yes expensive but yes worth every penny Smile

jakabout
jakabout  101741 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Aug 2007 - 11:53 PM

thought you were going to bed .... yer lying toerag .... Wink

jeanie
3 Aug 2007 - 11:58 PM

i am - just saying my goodnights to other conversations too first Smile

jakabout
4 Aug 2007 - 12:00 AM

K - you're allowed Wink

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2007 - 12:06 AM

eh? Wink

jakabout
4 Aug 2007 - 12:10 AM

lol - OKAY - you're allowed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.