Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

iso

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    eddie1
    eddie1 e2 Member 2eddie1 vcard United Kingdom
    30 Aug 2013 - 3:30 AM

Can someone tell me the best iso setting for bright sunny weather. im on iso 160. ive been told that you should have the setting low in sunlight and increase as the light fades. is this right. suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Aug 2013 - 3:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:53 AM

General rule of thumb is ISO as low as you can go without compromising on shutter speed for your given subject in photography, weather sunny or not.

llareggub
    llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Aug 2013 - 7:57 AM

As far as I am concerned I use what ever ISO I need in order to get the shot that I want. So I work from Aperture and Shutter Speed first and the ISO is what ever it needs to be to get the exposure I want.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 8:25 AM

You should increase the ISO when there is not enough light for the camera to be able to quickly capture an image.

Read more at:Photographylife.com which give a really good basic explanation of ISO and when to change settings etc.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 10:22 AM

Quote: You should increase the ISO when there is not enough light for the camera to be able to quickly capture an image.

Read more at:Photographylife.com which give a really good basic explanation of ISO and when to change settings etc.

great link..thanksGrinGrin

Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 12:31 PM

The ISO should be as high as you need for the shot given the lighting you're in.

There is a general view that you should keep it as low as possible, however that does not mean you always have to keep it low. Indeed I'd strongly suggest that you learn to work with higher ISOs - cameras today can easily work with ISOs of 400, 800, 1600 and higher very easily; especially once you learn some noise reduction and sharpening methods in editing.

You also need to consider what subjects you're working with and how your exposing them. If you're doing mostly landscape you might well never need to use a high ISO for most typical exposures - whilst if you're shooting sports you might be sitting on ISO 400 or even 800 as default in anything other than the best of lighting.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 1:36 PM

Quote: what ever ISO I need in order to get the shot that I want

That is exactly the way to go, Especially these days when we have the luxury of switching ISO on a whim or for a specific effect.

Sure the basics say high ISO for low light or low ISO for bright conditions, But that is just a basic rule of thumb if you do not want to get a little more artistic or produce something with a particular style.

Forgetting the basic rule and getting a bit more adventurous with ISO speeds can be very rewarding, While your there dial in some exposure compensation to expand the possibilities.

You might be surprised at what can be achieved...Smile I often use ISO speeds from 1000 upwards in extremely bright ambient light, But I am after a specific look & feel, Your take LOL..Grin might be completely different, But that is the beauty of being creative & experimental, No Rules Apply.....!!!!!!!!

Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.