Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

iso

eddie1 e2
3 12 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 3:30AM
Can someone tell me the best iso setting for bright sunny weather. im on iso 160. ive been told that you should have the setting low in sunlight and increase as the light fades. is this right. suggestions please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 6:53AM
General rule of thumb is ISO as low as you can go without compromising on shutter speed for your given subject in photography, weather sunny or not.
llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 7:57AM
As far as I am concerned I use what ever ISO I need in order to get the shot that I want. So I work from Aperture and Shutter Speed first and the ISO is what ever it needs to be to get the exposure I want.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
30 Aug 2013 8:25AM
You should increase the ISO when there is not enough light for the camera to be able to quickly capture an image.

Read more at: Photographylife.com which give a really good basic explanation of ISO and when to change settings etc.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
30 Aug 2013 10:22AM

Quote:You should increase the ISO when there is not enough light for the camera to be able to quickly capture an image.

Read more at: Photographylife.com which give a really good basic explanation of ISO and when to change settings etc.

great link..thanksGrinGrin
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
30 Aug 2013 12:31PM
The ISO should be as high as you need for the shot given the lighting you're in.

There is a general view that you should keep it as low as possible, however that does not mean you always have to keep it low. Indeed I'd strongly suggest that you learn to work with higher ISOs - cameras today can easily work with ISOs of 400, 800, 1600 and higher very easily; especially once you learn some noise reduction and sharpening methods in editing.

You also need to consider what subjects you're working with and how your exposing them. If you're doing mostly landscape you might well never need to use a high ISO for most typical exposures - whilst if you're shooting sports you might be sitting on ISO 400 or even 800 as default in anything other than the best of lighting.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
30 Aug 2013 1:36PM

Quote:what ever ISO I need in order to get the shot that I want

That is exactly the way to go, Especially these days when we have the luxury of switching ISO on a whim or for a specific effect.

Sure the basics say high ISO for low light or low ISO for bright conditions, But that is just a basic rule of thumb if you do not want to get a little more artistic or produce something with a particular style.

Forgetting the basic rule and getting a bit more adventurous with ISO speeds can be very rewarding, While your there dial in some exposure compensation to expand the possibilities.

You might be surprised at what can be achieved...Smile I often use ISO speeds from 1000 upwards in extremely bright ambient light, But I am after a specific look & feel, Your take LOL..Grin might be completely different, But that is the beauty of being creative & experimental, No Rules Apply.....!!!!!!!!

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.