Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

ISO 1600

hook e2
7 706 England
24 Jan 2007 11:47PM
Now i got my new D70 my iso can got to 1600, where would i need an iso of 1600. i tend to stick around 400

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Goatsmilkuk 10 783
25 Jan 2007 12:01AM
Low light no tripod or support, moving object,high F number etc
25 Jan 2007 1:18AM
To be a little more informative, there will be times when no matter how fast your lens is ie; f2.8,f1.7 lighting conditions will dictate that you need a much higher sensitivity ie; Iso 1600 to get a usable image. Trust me you will find out that this is true. Your D70 will handle shooting under these conditions with little difficulty.

Kevin
Graysta e2
9 1.1k England
25 Jan 2007 7:20AM
The images from the D70 @ iso 1600 will be quite grainy.I have juat had a roll of Fuji film 1600iso developed for a course and belive me the difference between film and digital at this speed is noticable, the film is far smoother. however some people spend ages trying to get a grainy effect on their images. best way is to experiment with your gear and learn from the results.- Graham
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 7:55AM
Having ISO 1600 (and above) avalible on your DSLR is a usefull feature, but that does not mean that you have to use it all the time...

Keep the ISO as low as possible for your shooting conditions, and only venture into the realms of ISO 1600 when you really have too.

Mattw
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
25 Jan 2007 9:18AM
I have use such speeds ( and faster ) on my D200. They can be pretty grainy so if I am going to use them I tend to shoot in B&W, and in JPG ( I have a custom setting for such eventualities ). They look quite nice, in a grainy way. Much nicer than a colour shot anyway, as the grain isn't as distracting.

Nik
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Jan 2007 10:09AM
High ISO (on a D200) can be controlled by making sure your high ISO noise reduction is on, I tested this at 1600 ISO and in RAW with carefull post image work you can achieve very smooth results.

However I rarley stray above 400 ISO, Just don't find the need for anything higher in the style or type of image I shoot ( fairly varied ).

Having said that my 1600 + ISO test's did produce some very interesting B&W results, If that's your kinda thing.

Vince
hook e2
7 706 England
25 Jan 2007 5:56PM
thanks guys ill try this later with black and white then. and ill clen it up with noise reduction. all is slowly becoming clearer.
steveg e2
10 188
26 Jan 2007 5:59PM
I use a Canon EOS 1dMKII for equestrian, the iso 1600 (and higher) on this allows me to shoot in poorly lit indoor arenas at night and still get useable results (slight grain/noise, but the customers cant get anything themselves without flash)
When I bought the Canon I too thought I would never use the highh iso but once you find what it allows you to do...
Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.