Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

It has been a short journey of discovery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 8:46 AM

Hi Fellow Artists,

Since I joined EPz, it has been a short journey of discovery; I till have a lot to learn but at for the moment I'll be reviewing and try and take on board all your advice.

So, a big sincere thanks to you all.

Could I ask you to (since most of you have gone through my PF) tell me if you think I have an eye for the art of photography: your honest opinion, please.

1. what do you think is good

2. what do you think is bad

3. where must I improve

4. do you think I have a particular style?

5. what do you think of taking photo of 'beautiful woman' on the street (some are portraiture format). Just to add many of the people I take photo of I do go and talk to then afterward; sometimes they pose for more photos, but I don't upload posed photos as I prefer candid expression.

Regards,

Tony

Last Modified By TonyCoridan at 16 Mar 2013 - 8:51 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2013 - 8:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 9:21 AM

As you say you have had a lots of advice in the CG and have asked a lot of questions on forums. Most of the photos posted have the camera settings deleted making it more difficult to advise. Many are effectively the same photo, head and shoulders in the street with a long lens.

A few of the images posted are fairly good of their type, one or two good depending on the viewers subjective view.

As for have you an eye for photography I could not say. You may have for the type of image you have posted.

Are you aiming at a career in photography? What do you want from photography?

Style shown so far is for surveillance type photography

I suggest you join at 3/4 year degree course and take a view when completed.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 10:09 AM

OU T189
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t189.htm
or
http://www.oca-uk.com/subjects/photography.html
These are both courses that can completed at home.
I believe it is a help, when learning just about anything, to be given detailed tasks, assignments or projects to complete and have the results reviewed by an experienced expert and peers who have completed the same assignment. You see their work and learn from their approach to the same task.
ePHOTOzine is a great site for getting advice and seeing some really good photography but there are limitations. It's all too easy to keep on doing what you know.
If you what to learn, set your self a project, say windows of East London in different lighting conditions, or anything. Leave your comfort zone.
I believe this site is to start offering on line courses, when I don't know.

Last Modified By iancrowson at 16 Mar 2013 - 10:10 AM
jadus
jadus e2 Member 21003 forum postsjadus vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi Tony
My question to you would be - why do you need to close the doors to what you have discovered before you have really opened them?
Jadus

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 10:27 AM

Quote: Hi Tony
My question to you would be - why do you need to close the doors to what you have discovered before you have really opened them?
Jadus

I'm sure what you are saying is very fundamental; forgive my ignorance, I don't get what you're saying!

Tony

jadus
jadus e2 Member 21003 forum postsjadus vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi Tony,

As frustrating as this response will be, the question is for you to answer. The journey is yours to take with the camera........

Try doing a photography project of doorways and see what opens before you.

Bet of luck,

Jadus

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 10:51 AM

Quote: Try doing a photography project of doorways and see what opens before you.

Nicely put!

Tony, you have asked lots of questions since you joined - mostly interesting ones. But the only way to get answers which will resonate with you is to do loads of photography and be self-critical. Smile

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 10:56 AM

Quote: Try doing a photography project of doorways and see what opens before you.

Nicely put!

Tony, you have asked lots of questions since you joined - mostly interesting ones. But the only way to get answers which will resonate with you is to do loads of photography and be self-critical. Smile

Well, I started street photography as a project really...but I guess I've some ways to go and improve...

Tony

Last Modified By TonyCoridan at 16 Mar 2013 - 10:57 AM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43836 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 11:07 AM

Quote: ...but I guess I've some ways to go and improve...

Tony

Even people who have been photographing all their lives still have a way to go.
There's no end to the road you have started along, no matter how far you travel along it.

Malc

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 11:35 AM

Quote: Style shown so far is for surveillance type photography

I think it is a matter of personal opinion after all; but I don't think that my photos are the way you've classed them, Ian.

Although EPZ claims to have over 20000 members and 1.6 million visitors (correct me if I'm wrong) but I have almost the same people giving feedback from the critique team.

I can handle positive criticism but people use words like surveillance and voyeurism, I don't think it helps.

I class them as street photography of candid portrait type.

As I said before most of the time I do go to the people and show them the photos and sometimes they've posed. But, I'd rather upload candid, because that's what I like.

I don't know what qualification you have and I have my opinion about your PF too.

Thanks,

Tony

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 11:48 AM

I too enjoy taking candids, Tony, although I don't do as much as I would like. And like yourself I mean true candids, rather than going up to people and asking them: I feel that changes the nature of the photo.

If that is what you enjoy doing, it is a matter of developing your own technique........... including your 'cloak of invisibility'. Wink

A book or two on the likes of Cartier-Bresson could inspire.

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 11:57 AM

Quote: I too enjoy taking candids, Tony, although I don't do as much as I would like. And like yourself I mean true candids, rather than going up to people and asking them: I feel that changes the nature of the photo.

If that is what you enjoy doing, it is a matter of developing your own technique........... including your 'cloak of invisibility'. Wink

A book or two on the likes of Cartier-Bresson could inspire.

Thank you!

Tony

iancrowson
16 Mar 2013 - 12:00 PM

Willie's words
"You seem to like to zoom in, where this might be more of a voyeuristic approach, rather than street photography which tens to show a scene, ideally with something to say, not a persons face."
My words
"One thing I noticed is they are mainly of individuals (mostly pretty girls but no harm in that) and shot with a 400mm focal length. This has tended to give a sort of spy feel to some of the pictures."
All views and advice are the personal advice of those giving it. The photographer by posting in the critique gallery has asked for advice and critique and has a choice on advice received......take it or leave it.
quote "I don't know what qualification you have and I have my opinion about your PF too."quote

Now that sounds like you are getting a little personal. I don't claim any expertise or qualification if you took the trouble to read my profile in my PF and the critique team profiles you would have seen that. I am just a slightly bored semi retired old codger who gives advice based on his rather scant knowledge gained (and forgotten) over 60 years involvement in photography (and art)
I would be very surprised if you did not have a view on my PF, who could look at a collection of photos and not form a view. If you are implying they are not too good then I agree with you.
I have spent my life trying to improve in lots of area of expertise, strange thing is I've always found someone better than me.
I post pics in the CG gallery myself as I recognise I need help to improve.
Happy snapping
Ian

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi Tony

You ask a lot of the questions I have asked and I'm afraid to most there is no definitive answer. You ask what is goo and bad and if you have a particular style, well "good" and "bad" have to be determined by you al we can say is "I like" or "I don't like". There will be images most people don't like but you may think its wonderful and there will always be the image you think is rubbish that people really love.

What I'm trying to say is this area is all subjective and governed by personal taste. So the only firm rule is "Do you like it, did the image capture what you wanted to record"?

As to where must you improve - we all need to improve and through the advice of others and your own thoughts. Asking the question "what does the image say" and "can I look at this for the next few years" are good starting places

If you feel discouraged by people giving too many negative comments remember, being told something is wrong gives a specific area for improvement where being told something is right leaves no room for progress.

Do you have a style - of course you do and the more you take photographs the more your style will develop and improve. A photographer who comes to mind was Bill Brandt - he developed a style of putting heavy dark areas into his images when everybody else were showing more detail (these are B+W images) he had his critics, but eventually others followed his style and it became the norm to put heavy dark areas in B+W images. What I'm saying style is personal and for you to decide.

Your question of street photography is something I am not experienced in as I have no interest to work in this area however, the subject matter really doesn't matter, if you like taking shots of beautiful woman in the street then that's you're choice all I will say is people deserve their privacy so perhaps asking if they mind being photographed is a good idea and maybe showing the images for them to approve if you have concerns.( I know you've said you do this) however there's nothing to stop taking a candid shot and then talking to the people after and I would have thought this is only necessary if someone objects to the photography.

Quote: Although EPZ claims to have over 20000 members and 1.6 million visitors (correct me if I'm wrong) but I have almost the same people giving feedback from the critique team.

The critique team has specific members - I have recently been invited to join and many people will only comment on thinks they feel comfortable or knowledgeable about. As for the other members its purely up to them and sometimes regular comments by the same people is actually more helpful than a raft of comments from many people.

I do like some of your images and not others but I am not going to specify which because that's personal to me. You are making good improvement so keep going and remember its ultimately you're critique of your own images which really matters.

Erik Grin

PS took me so long to write this some things may be covered by others above so sorry for the repeats.

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 12:17 PM

Quote: Willie's words
"You seem to like to zoom in, where this might be more of a voyeuristic approach, rather than street photography which tens to show a scene, ideally with something to say, not a persons face."
My words
"One thing I noticed is they are mainly of individuals (mostly pretty girls but no harm in that) and shot with a 400mm focal length. This has tended to give a sort of spy feel to some of the pictures."
All views and advice are the personal advice of those giving it. The photographer by posting in the critique gallery has asked for advice and critique and has a choice on advice received......take it or leave it.
quote "I don't know what qualification you have and I have my opinion about your PF too."quote

Now that sounds like you are getting a little personal. I don't claim any expertise or qualification if you took the trouble to read my profile in my PF and the critique team profiles you would have seen that. I am just a slightly bored semi retired old codger who gives advice based on his rather scant knowledge gained (and forgotten) over 60 years involvement in photography (and art)
I would be very surprised if you did not have a view on my PF, who could look at a collection of photos and not form a view. If you are implying they are not too good then I agree with you.
I have spent my life trying to improve in lots of area of expertise, strange thing is I've always found someone better than me.
I post pics in the CG gallery myself as I recognise I need help to improve.
Happy snapping
Ian

No matter what we do in life, we never stop learning. Even the Big Band theory is being questioned now.

Somewhere, when I started here, in one of the forum, I think about film photography, I mentioned that I have been taking photos for a long time: I'm also still learning.

what do you think of this photo?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.