Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

It's no good crying over spilt coffee!

Bridgelayer 7 568 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2011 5:51PM
I've just spent the afternoon with a friend of my O.H's, sorting out her Notebook that she spilt her coffee over. It's completely knackered her keyboard and I've set it up for her to use the On-screen set-up using a mouse.

Has anyone any ideas, apart from a USB keyboard, on how to sort out her keyboard please?

She is 70 years old and has no clue of what to do, and I'm not far behind her!

SadSad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 12 9.2k 92
7 Jun 2011 6:12PM
Quite often when they have had a chance to fully dry out they can start working again. Take it from someone that has spilt a well known fizzy drink on one in the past Wink

So worth giving it 24-48 hrs to dry out completely.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2011 6:12PM
I don't suppose she has accidental cover on her house insurance? We have and they repaired my son's laptop that fell off his lap & the screen cracked.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
7 Jun 2011 6:14PM
If you just need to get rid of the stickiness so that the keys will work again, furniture polish and a toothbrush will do the trick (top tip from a pub one-arm bandit repair man!) but if it needs a deeper clean, then I'm not so sure.

Straightforward keyboards come up a treat with a cycle in a dishwasher but I don't think the other bits of a notebook would appreciate it.

Perhaps a careful scrub with a toothbrush and some soapy water whilst holding it upside down?
Then let it dry out thoroughly whilst still upside down.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
7 Jun 2011 6:51PM

Quote:So worth giving it 24-48 hrs to dry out completely.

In the airing cupboard too... She may well be surprised!
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
7 Jun 2011 7:17PM
Pick up a 2nd hand keyboard on Ebay and just pop it in... They are usually easy to swap.

I have cleaned keyboards for people before. They work for a while but any sugar in the liquid tends to spell death for it after a while.
Bridgelayer 7 568 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2011 7:43PM
Thanks for the quick relies folks. I'll relay the answers given and see if she has any luck!

(Bloody wimmin!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.