Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

It's no good crying over spilt coffee!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bridgelayer
    7 Jun 2011 - 5:51 PM

I've just spent the afternoon with a friend of my O.H's, sorting out her Notebook that she spilt her coffee over. It's completely knackered her keyboard and I've set it up for her to use the On-screen set-up using a mouse.

Has anyone any ideas, apart from a USB keyboard, on how to sort out her keyboard please?

She is 70 years old and has no clue of what to do, and I'm not far behind her!

SadSad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jun 2011 - 5:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2011 - 6:12 PM

Quite often when they have had a chance to fully dry out they can start working again. Take it from someone that has spilt a well known fizzy drink on one in the past Wink

So worth giving it 24-48 hrs to dry out completely.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2011 - 6:12 PM

I don't suppose she has accidental cover on her house insurance? We have and they repaired my son's laptop that fell off his lap & the screen cracked.

Jestertheclown

If you just need to get rid of the stickiness so that the keys will work again, furniture polish and a toothbrush will do the trick (top tip from a pub one-arm bandit repair man!) but if it needs a deeper clean, then I'm not so sure.

Straightforward keyboards come up a treat with a cycle in a dishwasher but I don't think the other bits of a notebook would appreciate it.

Perhaps a careful scrub with a toothbrush and some soapy water whilst holding it upside down?
    Then let it dry out thoroughly whilst still upside down.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 7 Jun 2011 - 6:16 PM
    User_Removed
    7 Jun 2011 - 6:51 PM

Quote: So worth giving it 24-48 hrs to dry out completely.

In the airing cupboard too... She may well be surprised!

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    7 Jun 2011 - 7:17 PM

Pick up a 2nd hand keyboard on Ebay and just pop it in... They are usually easy to swap.

I have cleaned keyboards for people before. They work for a while but any sugar in the liquid tends to spell death for it after a while.

Bridgelayer
    7 Jun 2011 - 7:43 PM

Thanks for the quick relies folks. I'll relay the answers given and see if she has any luck!

(Bloody wimmin!)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.